Finally a bright future, or is it?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t want to be that Debbie downer, especially since the club has recently moved forward in leaps and bounds, but as much as I love my Bulldogs club, the last few years have taught me to go into a new season using my head not my emotions …

I know most fans worry about our 7, and fair call, but I worry more about our go forward, we don’t have the big consistent 160/200 metre eater lead the way prop, and if we’re not going forward, Mahoney, Burton, Flanagan, our fullback can’t do their job .. look at the forward pack Mahoney just played in front of, is he going to be able to play as well without that RCG Paulo and Co. type of muscle making metres.

I’ve read people saying TPJ is set for a huge year, I still have my doubts about his consistency and whether his hearts really in it, Thommo try’s hard but I don’t feel we play to his strengths, is Ryan Sutton good enough to make a difference, is Pele the real deal and will he be fit enough, Max King is a trooper and work horse but can’t do it on his own, is Patolo ready, not sure ..

Last few years we’ve really struggled to get out of our own 1/2 …… can anyone tell me how that’s going to change …

I know we’ve turned the corner and Gus & Co. are working on long term success, best our club has looked in years, I’m just being realistic for 2023 especially considering the quality teams we meet in the first 10 games ..

Eagles
Storm
Tigers
Warriors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Eels
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders

5 of those clubs finished top 6 last season, and 2 others above us .. do we have the strike power to win 4 or 5 of those first 10 games ?

Happy to be made to eat my words, because like every passionate fan I want the boys to win .. we all had huge expectations for 2022, I’m going in this year being more realistic, preferring to be surprised and proven wrong ..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no doubt that the changes that have been implemented will bring longterm success.

Short term we have signed some players and a coach, but have no guarantee who we have signed will work and bring the desired result (a Premiership).

The good news is, even if it doesn't, our pathways have been established to the extent that success is inevitable.

In short 2023 and 2024 may or may not bring a top 4 finish, but a top 4 finish and premiership is inveitable in the next 5-10 years.
Very correct, except they're are not looking at a 5-10 year plan.... Its foundations being built for constant success as it was like before, call it a lifetime plan.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t want to be that Debbie downer, especially since the club has recently moved forward in leaps and bounds, but as much as I love my Bulldogs club, the last few years have taught me to go into a new season using my head not my emotions …

I know most fans worry about our 7, and fair call, but I worry more about our go forward, we don’t have the big consistent 160/200 metre eater lead the way prop, and if we’re not going forward, Mahoney, Burton, Flanagan, our fullback can’t do their job .. look at the forward pack Mahoney just played in front of, is he going to be able to play as well without that RCG Paulo and Co. type of muscle making metres.

I’ve read people saying TPJ is set for a huge year, I still have my doubts about his consistency and whether his hearts really in it, Thommo try’s hard but I don’t feel we play to his strengths, is Ryan Sutton good enough to make a difference, is Pele the real deal and will he be fit enough, Max King is a trooper and work horse but can’t do it on his own, is Patolo ready, not sure ..

Last few years we’ve really struggled to get out of our own 1/2 …… can anyone tell me how that’s going to change …

I know we’ve turned the corner and Gus & Co. are working on long term success, best our club has looked in years, I’m just being realistic for 2023 especially considering the quality teams we meet in the first 10 games ..

Eagles
Storm
Tigers
Warriors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Eels
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders

5 of those clubs finished top 6 last season, and 2 others above us .. do we have the strike power to win 4 or 5 of those first 10 games ?

Happy to be made to eat my words, because like every passionate fan I want the boys to win .. we all had huge expectations for 2022, I’m going in this year being more realistic, preferring to be surprised and proven wrong ..
Good post. I don’t believe we have adequately replaced Paul Vaughan who was our best metre eater last season

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Eagles
Storm
Tigers
Warriors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Eels
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders

Yep, I hear you.
You also have other variables like the fact that players get injured.
Another is suspensions.
If your Thommo probably best not tackle anyone at all because the judiciary would probably deport him if they had the power to do so:tearsofjoy:.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don’t want to be that Debbie downer
Yes, don't be Debbie

.. look at the forward pack Mahoney just played in front of, is he going to be able to play as well without that RCG Paulo and Co.
Is this the right way around? Will RCG, Paulo & Co. be as good without Reed Mahoney?
Will our pack now start rolling forward with some quick, accurate, and directed service from dummy-half?

5 of those clubs finished top 6 last season, and 2 others above us
Exactly 11 clubs finished ahead of us on the ladder. This is what happens when you finish 12th. All teams will ebb and flow in 2023. Our target is to rise at least another 4 spots.

do we have the strike power to win 4 or 5 of those first 10 games ?
Yeah, we do. Will it all come together in the first 10 rounds? Don't know. Hopefully.

I know we’ve turned the corner and Gus & Co. are working on long term success, best our club has looked in years, I’m just being realistic for 2023
Which is fine.
I am actually okay with "missing the 8" (just) so long as we're playing like we should be there (with a view to 2024) and we show signs of actual improvement across all of the weaknesses we've put up over the past half-decade (undirected attack, disjointed defence, poor go-forward, etc).

I would much rather this than scraping into the finals in poor form with unconvincing improvement and being bundled out in week 1.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
We have suffered for far too long.
As bulldogs fans, especially the over 40s like me, we are not use to being on the bottom.
We are use to being a heavy weight and winning a premiership or 2 at least every 10 years.
To be at the bottom as long as we have in recent times is hard to accept.

In that time we have had false hope on the back of re builds and player turnover year in year out.

But this all feels different this time, it feels real.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting anything huge this year,
But I believe this year will springboard us into somthing special for 2024.
I truly believe this.
Your are right, I know that the situation looks much better for 23 than it has for a long time. By far my main concern is going into the season with our "supposed gun" No.7.
I personally wouldn't even start the season with Flanagun at 7. if CC plays Perham at FB, I'd start with Avo at 7, I know that he hasn't set the world on fire before, but at least he does have some tallent, if he is found wanting again I try to blood Rajab or BBO who should be back by mid year.
I would be very disappointed if our club plays the gun out of fear of a backlash from some of the media arseholes.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Eagles
Storm
Tigers
Warriors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Eels
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders

It took me years of watching the game to realise how important good service from the hooker is in getting something out of your forwards. Ennis had our pack looking like monsters, he left and Lichaa had them looking like kittens. JMK was a step up from Lichaa, but a long drop below Mahoney. The difference between a potentially great forward and one that never quite reaches their potential can be in working behind a hooker that allows them to take a pass at pace.

I'm not sure where we'll place this year. Ciraldo for all his hype is an unknown. I hope he's the real deal and improves the team. But I'm still cautious. I chose to go with a bit of optimism at this stage. Sure I might have my hopes dashed against the rocks. But I'd prefer to do it without giving up hope too early.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of unknowns at this point in time and so like most fans i think i'll be cautious with how we go until the season starts.

The other thing than can absolutely derail a club is injuries, even if we fly high in the beginning of the season our depth is significantly weaker than most other clubs as we have a mixture of established stars and promising juniors.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Eagles
Storm
Tigers
Warriors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Eels
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders

With the metre eaters replacement, we have Burton to make up for lost ground , we just need a halfback to do their job, primarily give options for other last tackle options.
Burton has a boot on him to help with metres but we'd obviously want forwards doing their job too.

I thought Barrett would implement "blocker" for the kicker as Penrith continually get away with (it's how Cleary gets a lot of his plays, Isaah Yeo is usually blocking for him), but for Bulldogs I think it was an issue with fitness or discipline or flat out not communicating the message, the halfback or 6 should be stressing it to their forwards if it ain't happening unless the trainer is passing on the message already.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We should be aiming to win at least 50% of games. Last season a 50% win ratio got 10th, the season before it got 7th. In 2020 (Covid affected) it got 8th. In 2019 teams finishing 9 Wins 10 losses got 7th, 8th, and 9th.

Getting a win every 2 games gets the fans involved, and puts us in with a shot at top 8. I don't want to expect more as we are still a new squad at this point, with plenty of younger players and players who haven't spent much time alongside each other. However, if we can get 50%, we can start learning how to ice more of the games that we are losing, and that is how you become a top 4 team.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Eagles
Storm
Tigers
Warriors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Eels
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders

I hate to ruin your calculations but if i remember rightly we beat the Cowboys, Eels, Tigers and Eagles last year. Plainly we had “the strike power” to do that with last year‘s team, so maybe what we really need is more consistency because we definitely have more “strike power” this year.

Always a Bulldog