Fifty Years Ago - Round Four, 1971

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Saturday's only other match was between winless Canterbury and the North Sydney Bears. Norths won 17-10, but as Rod Humphries from the Herald wrote Canterbury are now considered to be (in Boxing parlance) the team with the glass jaw. In front of just 4,200 spectators at North Sydney Oval, the Bulldogs slipped to their fourth loss in a row, having conceded 30 tries in 320 minutes. I'll let you do the maths!!

This is an ongoing series on the league unlimited website. Looking at 1971 we had a similar start to the season at least in defence.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Saturday's only other match was between winless Canterbury and the North Sydney Bears. Norths won 17-10, but as Rod Humphries from the Herald wrote Canterbury are now considered to be (in Boxing parlance) the team with the glass jaw. In front of just 4,200 spectators at North Sydney Oval, the Bulldogs slipped to their fourth loss in a row, having conceded 30 tries in 320 minutes. I'll let you do the maths!!

This is an ongoing series on the league unlimited website. Looking at 1971 we had a similar start to the season at least in defence.
Round 1 was worse, I was at Lidcombe Oval when we lost 55 to 12, Bob Hagan (Michael Hagan's much older brother) was the coach that year, the first year after he stopped playing. We played with 12 men after Laurie Bruyeres sent someone off, can't for the life of me remember who. The Jersey Flegg team that year was much better to watch and won the Premiership.

Go Dogs

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Round 1 was worse, I was at Lidcombe Oval when we lost 55 to 12, Bob Hagan (Michael Hagan's older brother) was the coach that year, the first year after he stopped playing. We played with 12 men after Laurie Bruyeres sent someone off, can't for the life of me remember who. The Jersey Flegg team that year was much better to watch and won the Premiership.

Go Dogs
You're normally spot on. I thought Bob Hagan was Michael's older brother.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You're normally spot on. I thought Bob Hagan was Michael's older brother.
I realised my mistake and fixed it while you were typing. There was something like 25 years difference in their ages, so it was common mistake back then.

Go Dogs

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gotta feel for the bears. They won 2 premierships in 1921 and 1922. And never again. Generations of fans were heartbroken until their demise in 1999.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AND...in 1974 the Berries made the GF. we can only hope for a turnaround similar to that!
We have done similiar recently so it is possible.
2008 bottom of ladder
2009- pre-lim final
2011- missed the top 8
2012- minor premiers and gran finalists.

This can quite easily happen in 2022 with a few more key signings

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta feel for the bears. They won 2 premierships in 1921 and 1922. And never again. Generations of fans were heartbroken until their demise in 1999.
Playing on concrete every 2nd game takes it's toll.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Round 1 was worse, I was at Lidcombe Oval when we lost 55 to 12, Bob Hagan (Michael Hagan's much older brother) was the coach that year, the first year after he stopped playing. We played with 12 men after Laurie Bruyeres sent someone off, can't for the life of me remember who. The Jersey Flegg team that year was much better to watch and won the Premiership.

Go Dogs
It was Neville Hornery who got 5 weeks suspension for a high tackle on John Baker. Also in that game for Wests was a player called Peter Flanders who scored a try & 11 goals. This is what that same article says about him:

"The sensational wash-up from last Thursday's Lidcombe match, that saw Wests' Peter Flanders replaced after 50 minutes so he could get the train home for Easter, demonstrated (if there was any doubt) who held all the cards in the relationship between players and clubs.

The club committee suspended 21 year old Flanders for the rest of the season and cancelled his contract declaring "he will never play for Wests again". Flanders, from Coffs Harbour, was in his fourth year with Wests, but none of that seemed to count for much in front of the Magpies bosses. The despondent young full back will appeal to the NSWRFL, but it seems his chances are slim indeed."

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They came close at the end there but the CEO who got the sponsorship of Bartercard effectively killed them.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The bears.. perenniel choke artists in my lifetime..

Had a soft spot for them though living in the area & hating manly..