FFA axe Gold Coast from A-League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Football Federation Australia has moved to end the running saga involving Gold Coast United and their outspoken boss Clive Palmer by announcing the club's A-League licence has been revoked.

The club will be given the option to see out season and play the remaining four games, with the FFA offering to pay the players' wages over the period.

The game's governing body made the decision today primarily due to the actions of Palmer, who has repeatedly lashed out at the FFA over the past fortnight on a range of issues.

Advertisement: Story continues below The tipping point is believed to have come on Saturday night, when Gold Coast took to the field against Melbourne Victory with the slogan "Freedom of Speech" on their shirts, replacing the club's usual sponsor, Hyatt Regency - a company embroiled in a legal dispute with Palmer.

That decision saw the club issued with a breach of the A-League's club participation agreement for not having the shirt sanctioned by the FFA before kick-off.

When Palmer later claimed that the slogan was aimed not at the FFA but, bizarrely, in support of refugees, the FFA pointed out to the club that it was in further breach of the FIFA statutes, which state: "For all matches, all forms of advertising for sponsors, manufacturers or any third parties, of political, religious or personal statements and/or other announcements, are strictly prohibited."

Palmer tweeted earlier today that the FFA had stripped him of his licence.

Clive Palmer @CliveFPalmer Our licence is being rekoved by Frank Lowy and FFA cohorts .. I will issue detailed response shortly
Palmer added on Twitter that he intended to fight the FFA's decision in court and unloaded on league chairman Frank Lowy.

Clive Palmer @CliveFPalmer We intend to fight this ludicrous decision by incompetent FFA in the courts. Frank Lowy is an institution who now belongs in an institution

It is not yet known what results will be given for the club's remaining four matches.

The FFA is about to start a press conference at its headquarters in Sydney.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for my friends who are involved in the GCUSC who go to the Gold Coast Utd away trips, buy their merch and season tickets to their home games, they will be pissed off not at FFA but at Professor Clive Palmer for the way he has acted in the last couple of weeks.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lowy got upset from the news his bed-buddy Bleiberg got the sack.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Although I agree with the decision, this can't end well, and won't be ending anytime soon.

Clive Palmer is a billionaire with an armada of QC's ... take a wild guess where FFA/Australian soccer will be spending the next 12-18 months ?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
reaction from the GCUSC

Ladies and Gentleman, Its Over.

Today, FFA have announced that the GCU licence has been revoked, effective immediately.

We as a supporters group have been there from the start, and it looks like we'll be there at the end. Right now, im shocked but also not surprised. We knew this had a very good chance of happening. All i want to say to everyone right now, Thank You. Especially to everyone who supported this club, like i did, in the 3 years we've existed.

I also want to point out, we cant give up. We will fight, and we will show the FFA and Clive Palmer how passionate we are, and i urge every person, no matter who you support, and if you can, to get to Skilled Park for our final 2 games. Show them what could have been. Show them we deserve a club. Show them we are United in Football.

Shaker.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
palmer thinks he can simply do what he likes, he is not above the rules, and as such should abide by them just like everyone else does, he makes a mokery out of things all to get his way or he sues them....
the gold coast united have been losing fans week in week out the fans have had a gutfull of their team being used as nothing but a stunt for personel satisfaction by palmer.

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Palmer is a dead set idiot. As an A-league its sad to see things like this happens. The game is slowly getting better and expansion is important. Hopefully they can successfully get rid of this idiot once and for all and start rebuilding this club coz there are alot of good young players in the squad and its so dissapointing seeing so few fans show up to there home games. Hoping for the fans sake that the club can get back on track for next season.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
the A - League is dying and will be dead by the end of the decade

the FFA is broke and just recently got 8 million from the government to keep a float

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I wouldnt say dead by the end of the decade but I agree the A-League is on a massive decline...

Status
Not open for further replies.