Fatty doesn't know the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Channel 9 commentator Paul “Fatty” Vautin. Source: Supplied

THIS is reassuring. Paul “Fatty” Vautin, after more than 20 years as a rugby league commentator with Channel 9, still doesn’t know the rules.

Aidan Guerra crossed for what initially appeared to be Queensland’s opening try in the first half of Wednesday night’s State of Origin III.
The move started with a Cooper Cronk kick that was tapped back by a Queensland player. Johnathan Thurston then toed the ball into the in-goal, where Guerra put it down.
The decision was sent upstairs to the referee, who correctly ruled Thurston to be offside when Cronk put through the initial kick.

Johnathan Thurston (far right) is ruled to be offside, cancelling out an Aidan Guerra try for Queensland. Source: Channel 9

The no try was discussed during Channel 9’s halftime Origin coverage – and Fatty was baffled.
Blues great Andrew Johns explained: “Thurston is in front of the 10-metre mark. Cooper Cronk kicks the ball a metre back, 11 metres out. So Johnathan Thurston is a metre in front him. It’s a game of inches, Fatty.”
Vautin responded: “So it goes forward and it’s tapped back and they’ve got Johnathan Thurston for being offside.
“I would have thought that once the ball was tapped back it doesn’t matter if he was offside. To me, I don’t know, I thought it was play on.
“Do you know the rule? Is that the rule?
“That’s a no try,” Johns replied in a matter-of-fact manner.
“Are you serious? Turn it up,” Vautin added.
To be fair to Fatty, the NRL has changed the rules that many times over the years that it can be difficult to keep up.
But still.
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="211" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 19px; vertical-align: baseline; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; border-right-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-left-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(238, 238, 238); border-bottom-color: rgb(187, 187, 187); box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.148438) 0px 1px 3px; width: 500px; position: static; visibility: visible; "></iframe><iframe id="twitter-widget-1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="266" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 19px; vertical-align: baseline; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; border-right-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-left-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(238, 238, 238); border-bottom-color: rgb(187, 187, 187); box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.148438) 0px 1px 3px; width: 500px; position: static; visibility: visible; "></iframe>

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The real problem is we have biased commentators, I dont care if the bias is for my team or against, it's disgustingly unprofessional!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow! Is this an actual article?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The real problem is we have biased commentators, I dont care if the bias is for my team or against, it's disgustingly unprofessional!!
Couldn't agree more. Vautin and lewis are completely over the top. I hope that another channel can pick up the nrl rights next time, the coverage needs a real shake up

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
its clearly no try, if the nsw player touched it then that would reset the offside situation but in that case then you have the problem of thurston coming closer to the contest inside the 10

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fatty hasn't been the same since that headknock

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't just Fatty. Rabs called it a terrible call at the time and called the Thaiday one a strip by Reynolds when he clearly lost the ball. They get caught up in the hype and take the unconscious bias.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just makes it look like a cheap sport and they still want to charge premium price!! am I the only one that gets really annoyed at the half time interview? Sometimes the bloke can't talk his so tierd and fitter barrages them with questions. Wtf is that I've never seen it before, not to mention the blues game plan live audio in the dressing rooms!! Or is it just me?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i think they are overdoing origin tbh

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
i think they are overdoing origin tbh
Yep give it a week all this will be forgotten, all the hype will be on the next premiership winner, I also think origin is overrated give me a doggies game anyday

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fatty doesn't know a lot of things, comedy being one.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ayrib this fat **** guy who is a dirty old man...

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fatty has always been & will always be useless.

It still baffles me what channel 9 sees in him? Even Fatty sees himself as a goose!

I wish I could fark up at work & just laugh about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.