News Faitala-Mariner opens up on difficult season, clears the air on exactly what happened during training drama

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Martin Gabor-NCA Newswire

He was at the centre of what threatened to be an explosive confrontation, and now a Bulldogs veteran has given his version of events.

Bulldogs veteran Raymond Faitala-Mariner has cleared the air on a turbulent 2023, conceding he should have handled things differently during a messy end to the season.
Faitala-Mariner confronted coach Cameron Ciraldo about his training methods after he’d received complaints from some of his teammates.
It was a massive learning curve for the 30-year-old, who was appointed club captain at the start of the season and emerged as a pivotal bridge between the coaching staff and the club’s younger players, only to become the scapegoat and reportedly told he was unwanted by the club.

“It was a year of learning for all of us, even for myself,” he said on Wednesday.

“I’ve learnt a lot about leadership and what that looks like and what that needs to look like, not only leading by example but knowing what to say.

“I say last year was a blessing in disguise heading into this year because you know what to do and what not to do.”

Another tough year of on-field results boiled over late in the season when reports emerged that some of the players were unhappy with certain training methods that Faitala-Mariner relayed to the coaching staff.

But the veteran forward says some of the things that were reported weren’t entirely true.

“I wouldn’t say that there were issues. I don’t think there were ever any issues at the club,” he explained.

“There were a few conversations here and there with the boys, but what I should have done was nail it on the head and said ‘boys, this is who we are and we’ve just got to buy into it’.

“There is a time as a leader when you need to address those concerns or whatever the boys are going through. From my end, I just need to communicate better with the boys and let them know this is where we’re going and you might have to suck it up because this is the way it is here.

“There were no concerns or issues – some boys felt comfortable to have a chat.”

The drama led to reports that the club was trying to offload one of their most respected leaders, with claims he was told by club officials to stay away from training.

His name was in the papers most days, but crucial chats with Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould smoothed things over.

“It was tough. When things did come out, I had a conversation with the club and they told me it wasn’t true, so I believed them,” he said.

“I just carried on with my process and getting things done because they gave me their word that what came out wasn’t true.

“I came in the next morning and had a conversation with Ciraldo and Gus, and they both told me it wasn’t true.

“I took their word for it.”

As for the reports he was banned from training that prompted the RLPA to get involved, Faitala-Mariner says it was a simple case of both parties getting their wires crossed.

“I think it was just a miscommunication from my end,” he said.

“We had the meeting, I had the conversation with Gus and he was straight up with me. We’ve put everything to bed and then I started the next Monday.”

Faitala-Mariner made it clear he wanted to drive the standards and be the man to help the Bulldogs turn things around, which is why he spent 10 minutes giving forthright answers to the media.

But there was one question that forced him to pause for a minute before answering why he thinks 2024 will be different for a club that’s been starved of success.

“I think having an emphasis on our core values as a Bulldog, which are family, grit and excellence,” he said.

“There’s been a lot of emphasis on that in the pre-season, and based on the way the boys are training, everyone is buying into it.

“You can sense the togetherness that’s starting to brew here.

“That’s the thing that’s been missing.

“All teams have similar moves and systems, but it’s the stuff between the ears that makes a difference.”

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By Martin Gabor-NCA Newswire

He was at the centre of what threatened to be an explosive confrontation, and now a Bulldogs veteran has given his version of events.

Bulldogs veteran Raymond Faitala-Mariner has cleared the air on a turbulent 2023, conceding he should have handled things differently during a messy end to the season.
Faitala-Mariner confronted coach Cameron Ciraldo about his training methods after he’d received complaints from some of his teammates.
It was a massive learning curve for the 30-year-old, who was appointed club captain at the start of the season and emerged as a pivotal bridge between the coaching staff and the club’s younger players, only to become the scapegoat and reportedly told he was unwanted by the club.

“It was a year of learning for all of us, even for myself,” he said on Wednesday.

“I’ve learnt a lot about leadership and what that looks like and what that needs to look like, not only leading by example but knowing what to say.

“I say last year was a blessing in disguise heading into this year because you know what to do and what not to do.”

Another tough year of on-field results boiled over late in the season when reports emerged that some of the players were unhappy with certain training methods that Faitala-Mariner relayed to the coaching staff.

But the veteran forward says some of the things that were reported weren’t entirely true.

“I wouldn’t say that there were issues. I don’t think there were ever any issues at the club,” he explained.

“There were a few conversations here and there with the boys, but what I should have done was nail it on the head and said ‘boys, this is who we are and we’ve just got to buy into it’.

“There is a time as a leader when you need to address those concerns or whatever the boys are going through. From my end, I just need to communicate better with the boys and let them know this is where we’re going and you might have to suck it up because this is the way it is here.

“There were no concerns or issues – some boys felt comfortable to have a chat.”

The drama led to reports that the club was trying to offload one of their most respected leaders, with claims he was told by club officials to stay away from training.

His name was in the papers most days, but crucial chats with Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould smoothed things over.

“It was tough. When things did come out, I had a conversation with the club and they told me it wasn’t true, so I believed them,” he said.

“I just carried on with my process and getting things done because they gave me their word that what came out wasn’t true.

“I came in the next morning and had a conversation with Ciraldo and Gus, and they both told me it wasn’t true.

“I took their word for it.”

As for the reports he was banned from training that prompted the RLPA to get involved, Faitala-Mariner says it was a simple case of both parties getting their wires crossed.

“I think it was just a miscommunication from my end,” he said.

“We had the meeting, I had the conversation with Gus and he was straight up with me. We’ve put everything to bed and then I started the next Monday.”

Faitala-Mariner made it clear he wanted to drive the standards and be the man to help the Bulldogs turn things around, which is why he spent 10 minutes giving forthright answers to the media.

But there was one question that forced him to pause for a minute before answering why he thinks 2024 will be different for a club that’s been starved of success.

“I think having an emphasis on our core values as a Bulldog, which are family, grit and excellence,” he said.

“There’s been a lot of emphasis on that in the pre-season, and based on the way the boys are training, everyone is buying into it.

“You can sense the togetherness that’s starting to brew here.

“That’s the thing that’s been missing.

“All teams have similar moves and systems, but it’s the stuff between the ears that makes a difference.”
@Flanagun
@04 Dreaming
@Polly Power
@Nasheed

Is this what you guys said we should be waiting for when it came to RFM?

Or should I hold my breathe and wait for an explosive Pt2?

1702446462079.png

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Gus can somehow get
Kurtis Morrin
RFM
Sam Hughes
Patolo
Kikau
Preston
All those guys to play like
Men possessed for the majority of 2024 ,I’m sure our backs can do the talking ,now we just have to not take 12 weeks to Gel,hopefully we come out of the blocks with a bulldog brand of footy ,and Matt Burton takes ownership and realised he has so much more potential than what he has shown.
The only way is up

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
@Flanagun
@04 Dreaming
@Polly Power
@Nasheed

Is this what you guys said we should be waiting for when it came to RFM?

Or should I hold my breathe and wait for an explosive Pt2?

View attachment 98300
Lol please don't tell me you actually believe this is the way it went down? Seriously, you can't be that cooked? How could RFM and his management have "misunderstood" whether he was told not to train or not. I reckon RFM was given two options...the first was to front up to the media and take the heat off the club....the second wouldn't have made his remaining time here very enjoyable at all. This is a Gus PR special, and I don't buy that it was a misunderstanding for a second. I just hope the truth comes out one day about why Jackson Topine hasn't trained at the club since the infamous wrestling incident.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol please don't tell me you actually believe this is the way it went down? Seriously, you can't be that cooked? How could RFM and his management have "misunderstood" whether he was told not to train or not. I reckon RFM was given two options...the first was to front up to the media and take the heat off the club....the second wouldn't have made his remaining time here very enjoyable at all. This is a Gus PR special, and I don't buy that it was a misunderstanding for a second. I just hope the truth comes out one day about why Jackson Topine hasn't trained at the club since the infamous wrestling incident.
Bro...honestly I don't know why you don't come out with the REAL story??

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There isn't really anywhere for him to play in the 17. A bench middle maybe but that didn't work too well this year.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is he still Club Captain?

kamaryn

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good interview - as we've surmised a few times it seems he misunderstood his role as captain. It looks like he felt the role was to represent the players and pass messages up the chain, rather than serving the coach and helping instill his values downwards. Obviously you need to do a bit of both, but he seems to have learned how much he got the balance wrong. I hope he kicks on now and kills it in 2024.

kamaryn

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There isn't really anywhere for him to play in the 17. A bench middle maybe but that didn't work too well this year.
I'd like to see him tried in the middle again with hopefully a new attitude. I know size isn't everything but ZeroTackle has him as our third heaviest forward (190cm and 110kg; #1 being Kikau at 195cm and 116 kg; and #2 Sam Hughes 193cm and 111kg) - so he should be able to give as good a go as anyone else in the squad. Hell, Thompson was only 102kg and 184cm.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good interview - as we've surmised a few times it seems he misunderstood his role as captain. It looks like he felt the role was to represent the players and pass messages up the chain, rather than serving the coach and helping instill his values downwards. Obviously you need to do a bit of both, but he seems to have learned how much he got the balance wrong. I hope he kicks on now and kills it in 2024.
Yh na. Ciraldo and RFM aren't on great terms, simply a matter of an inexperienced coach and inexperienced captain clashing and things getting out of hand. If the club had their way he wouldn't be at the club.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2nd confession by RFM and you are still in denial.

Right and the Players Association came in saved the day.

Thats why Clint Newton has had his face everywhere telling anyone who will listen how he got one over Gould and that all CEOs should be scared of him.

And his first confession to Rothfield was all made up because Drunkfield owed Gus a favour. Is that why RFMs Manager is chasing the Telegraph for a retraction?

Actually you know what happened, Gould and Ciraldo hired a psychic and brainwashed him into believing that none of it really happened.

Or that isn't RFM, It is an alien who was hired by Gould to take RFM's face and pretend it was his fault to smear his rep.

Sometimes @Flanagun if it walks like a duck, and , it quacks like a duck and it confesses like a duck it is just a F@#King duck.