Extraction of Wisdom Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Hola Amigos,

So I just had all my wisdom teeth removed this morning at around 8am, got home around 10am-11am and have been sleeping ever since

Just woke up and wanted to ask for some advice regarding what happens now

1) When will the swelling pain around my lower jaw go away? Got given some medication to take from tomorrow onwards, luckily my face hasn't swollen up that much to make me look like Theodore the Chipmunk

2) Can I brush my teeth tonight? The piece of paper they gave me at the hospital says I can't rinse or spit today but says nothing about brushing my teeth before sleeping

To be honest, I'd thought the effects of general anaesthetic would be a lot worst but I'm feeling pretty normal although right after the surgery, I somehow convinced myself that my chin was my lower lip and my lower lip was my tongue... was tripping the f*ck out because everything below the nose was completely numb, as you can imagine I was attempting to force what I thought my as 'tongue' back into my mouth so I wouldn't walk out of the hospital looking like an idiot :lol:

Anyways, any advice is welcome and thanks in advance!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
This is a job for Tina ... We'll wait for her arrival and she'll tell you the lowdown.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Also forgot to add, what sorts of food is recommend for now and how long before I can start eating solid food again?

Cheers!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
sorry i dont have any advice, i kept my wisdom teeth because im scared i might become dumb if they were removed tbh

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Details & responses are being collated ... think she's in a "I'm off work for today" frame of mind. I can respect that. Last thing I wanna talk about when I get home from work is 'anything to do with tech-support and/or device maintenance'

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Ok here goes ...

1. Everything is individual. Your case does not equal many cases.

2. Pain could be caused by impacted site and/or infection. Use Panadiene Forte.

3. Brushing is OK, but do best to avoid sore spots and be gentle : If it hurts, go with a warm salty mouth rinse for 24-48hrs.

4. Foods are fine today but you'll be limited to small bites due to radiant soreness. Avoid the 'holes' so nothing gets lodged in it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ouch, bet that hurt. Did they give you the little bunny bandage, the one where they wrap a bandage thing under your chin and over the top of your head and tie it like bunny ears. My son had that done and he was so embarrassed. The swelling of my sons face I think from memory went down fairly quickly and you can use ice packs for the first 12 hours but no longer than 24 hours. No brushing until the next day and don't brush near the stitches as the blood clots need to be in disturbed.Good luck mate.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I know what you're speaking about in regards to the bunny bandage

Luckily I didn't require any sort of bandage when I was released from hospital and thanks for your input also!

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
When I had mines taken out, the stiches were the most annoying bit.

Paracetamol did the trick for the pain.

Will fade away in the matter of days.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
dont listen to any one, speak to your dentist cos he is the best person to tell you according to your condition and the health of your gums/ teeth!!!

every case is different.

I had my lower wisdom tooth removed last year and it was fused to the bone, went through 3 hours surgery and had it partially removed. stitched the gums with 1/3 rd of the tooth still fused to the jaw bone. Could'nt eat solids for a month, liquid diet was the way to go.

Worst thing you can do is to ignore your dentist and listen to the advice from an internet forum and regret heavily later on.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Also forgot to add, what sorts of food is recommend for now and how long before I can start eating solid food again?

Cheers!
Truckloads of ice cream!

PS get well before the ManUre game bro, you have to sware at the screen properly lol

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Truckloads of ice cream!

PS get well before the ManUre game bro, you have to sware at the screen properly lol
Haha, cheers brother

Just lucky the scheduled operation was a day after the Manchester derby, got to witness my boys humiliate Man City - guess it's between our two clubs to who finishes in 2nd eh? ;)

Also best wishes and I hope you make a speedy recovery so they can discharge you from hospital sooner rather than later, heck I feel obliged to come visit you and get you a kebab :p

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thanks brother

PS thanks for raping Man Shity

- signed the whole EPL

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I had 4 wisdom teeth and 3 other teeth removed at the same time. Took about 5 days for most of the swelling to go down and about 8 or 9 days for all the swelling to go away.

Pain lasted about 4 days and I pretty much didn't eat anything during that time.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They say don't spit etc as you might dislodge the clots and get dry socket. You don't want that.

I had 4 out about 9 months ago and got knocked out as they had to chip some of my jaw away to get to one.

I didn't really have any pain afterward and very little swelling. I was either very lucky or had a very good dentist

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
What's a dry socket and what are the symptoms one may have if they got it?

My bottom left wisdom tooth was close to a nerve and my bottom right one was close to or apart of my jaw bone

There's more swelling on my left hand side than my right, still aches, taking meds eases the pain but it eventually comes back after a few hours

Sucks not being able to eat anything, tried having a slice of bread last night but found it was giving me too much grief

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
shouldn't the dentist tell you what to do? Whenever I've been they always give me info and instruction on what to do after.

Status
Not open for further replies.