Expansion versus relocation: Why it’s time for NRL to seriously consider moving some of the nine Sydney-based clubs

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Pepole writing out Souths are clearly smoking crack. Souths are my most hated team considering the history. But there is no way the NRL will kill off the pride of the league.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I dont think u go to 17 teams without expecting to expand to 18. More games are worth more $ to the broadcasters. Relocating doesnt solve that

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Merge the following teams -

Rabbits, Roosters and Parramatta

South Sydney Eels
That's because mergers really work right?
Bears & Manly, yep that worked well, lasted barely a week.
Tiger & Magpies, that's working brilliantly, if spoons are the measure.
St George & Illawarra, another raging success.
That's 3 out of 3, perfect outcome.

If you think Norths & Manly hated each other, try combining the Chooks and Souffs, WW3 here we come.

Reality, they all have too much money and would send the NRL broke with legal challenges.

Always a Bulldog

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because mergers really work right?
Bears & Manly, yep that worked well, lasted barely a week.
Tiger & Magpies, that's working brilliantly, if spoons are the measure.
St George & Illawarra, another raging success.
That's 3 out of 3, perfect outcome.

If you think Norths & Manly hated each other, try combining the Chooks and Souffs, WW3 here we come.

Reality, they all have too much money and would send the NRL broke with legal challenges.

Always a Bulldog
I was being sarcastic. I know it would never happen, but I know 99% of TK members would love it if did happen!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic. I know it would never happen, but I know 99% of TK members would love it if did happen!
And I was being sarcastic back.
Because 99% of TK likes a bit of sarcasm.

Always a Bulldog

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wests hage Campbelltown which is very important for league.

If a team gets reallocated.

Its either Dragons or Bulldogs.

Both teams are not the powerhouses they use to be.

We both are expendable
Bulldogs will never be relocated.

Too rich.

Too many fans

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Move the teams that have merged and been unable to stand on their own: Tigers, Dragons, etc
Dragons should be a standalone club. They should be demerged. Dragons fans are too chill about what happened to them. If I was them I'd be murderous. Because Manly got to demerge, and the Dragons got played

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Dragons should be a standalone club. They should be demerged. Dragons fans are too chill about what happened to them. If I was them I'd be murderous. Because Manly got to demerge, and the Dragons got played
st grorge all azn now but

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
St George accepted the merger because they were not generating enough juniors, they wanted and more to the point needed the Illawarra pathways. They still do, which is why they haven’t demerged.

For their part Illawarra accepted the merger because they always struggled for funding to turn their pathways into NRL players. They still do which is why they haven’t demerged.

Those 2 problems, or rather there solutions, are the reason why the merger doesn’t work. The St George factions think they should run the club because they provide the majority of the funding. The Illawarra factions think they should run the club because they provide the pathways.

This is Flanagan’s main challenge, to get and keep the factions out of the NRL team, stop them interfering, stop them getting inside the players heads, stop them blocking recruitment etc. Bennett was the only person able to do it because of his status, he kept the factions quiet. Flanagan is in for a trying time.

Always a Bulldog

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
We will get to 20 but before that reserve grade needs to be professional. Raise the cap and all fulltime. Bring in a national under 21s and set the max they can earn and make it semi pro.