Existing NRL Competition Vs the EPL Style Consistency Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just comparing the NRL Finals system to that of the EPL where by the winner of the competition is the team that has the most points at the end of the regular season.

In my opinion the reward for being the most consistent team over 26 weeks isn't enough. Don't get me wrong, I love finals footy... and the new system is definitely better... but I also like the idea, that teams have to consistently be the best throughout the entire season in order to get the big one.

The fact that you can come 8th and still be crowned premiers doesn't sit well with me.

Does anyone else think that a system where you are rewarded for consistency would be beneficial for our game? (Being crowned MP and 100k is hardly a reward in the current system)

Maybe after the end of the regular season, they could have a knock out comp (same finals system as we currently have) however if you win this competition, the players get X amount $ bonus and the club also gets some sort of financial reward/recognition... which would obviously need to be decent to drive all the players to play their best for the entire competition.

Thoughts?

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a cup as well.

We dont. Current format is fine.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just comparing the NRL Finals system to that of the EPL where by the winner of the competition is the team that has the most points at the end of the regular season.

In my opinion the reward for being the most consistent team over 26 weeks isn't enough. Don't get me wrong, I love finals footy... and the new system is definitely better... but I also like the idea, that teams have to consistently be the best throughout the entire season in order to get the big one.

The fact that you can come 8th and still be crowned premiers doesn't sit well with me.

Does anyone else think that a system where you are rewarded for consistency would be beneficial for our game? (Being crowned MP and 100k is hardly a reward in the current system)

Maybe after the end of the regular season, they could have a knock out comp (same finals system as we currently have) however if you win this competition, the players get X amount $ bonus and the club also gets some sort of financial reward/recognition... which would obviously need to be decent to drive all the players to play their best for the entire competition.

Thoughts?
Methinks if the Dogs didn't win the minor premiership, but won the Grand Final, this wouldn't even be discussed.

I couldn't think of anything more boring where for example a title is decided weeks before the end of season. Champion tesm step up for the big games, and that is why the GF is the pinnacle of 7 months of hard work (SOO aside).

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not always decided weeks in advance, if we lost our last round we wouldn't have the MP.

And if it does happen to be made up weeks in advance, then kudos to the team that has been the most consistent/deserving of the big one.

There are pros and cons to both styles of competitions, the pro to the existing format is that the finals is a different ball park and champion teams step up regardless and can claim the big one.

The Pro to the EPL format is every single game is crucial, there isn't one game you can afford to give away.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL couldn't afford the EPL system. Would cost them a motza in lost gate & TV revenue to give up the finals series.

EPL have many cups that run alongside the premiership during the year. We don't.

Anyway, Finals footy is exciting. Why would we want to give it up?

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cups, not enough money, not enough teams etc...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I like it how it is

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention i don't think they schedule anymore finals games...The top clubs in Europe compete in a helluva lot more competitions than we do, it's just their "finals" is generally the UEFA Champions League

We could probably do this, if League was even half as big as football is international-wise.

P

Paint.

another difference is that the NRL is a much more even comp. You could have the team running last beat the team coming 1st on any given day, whereas in the EPL there's the 'big clubs' that are always at the top of the ladder. You'll hardly see a Man United lose to a QPR, but the Storm lost to Parra this year.

Each system suits its league perfectly.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real question here is, Is the reward for winning the MP enough.$100,000 and a home semi?

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kind of agree. It would be pretty annoying if canberra knocked us out next week. They were near last all year and on the back of a couple of good games, they could knock us out. I don't see any way of changing it but.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other difference is that one comp is an even season (everyone plays everyone an equal number of times home and away) whereas in the other, one team could argue it had a tougher regular season i.e. had to play other top teams twice, or only had an away trip to another top side.

You need a Grand Final format if you don't have equal schedules just to even everything out. European soccer leagues don't need Grand Finals, as they work on a balanced home and away season.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Hickstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
U can be consistent and finish 7th or something and epl has 20 teams not 16

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
we should have top 5 if you win half ur games or even lose more than you win you dont deserve to be in the finals

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I kind of agree. It would be pretty annoying if canberra knocked us out next week. They were near last all year and on the back of a couple of good games, they could knock us out. I don't see any way of changing it but.
Champion teams step up and win the big games. If we can't beat Canberra in a semi, then we don't deserve to be premiers.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL finals system is the best in the world. Final footy is magic. Winning the GF is the pinnicle. Other soccer/ football codes around the world are envious. Imagine the EPL had a finals system? it would be a global success..
Why change the best thing we got? I value your opinion but im afraid i find it ridiculous.
(yeah, i agree bigger prizemoney for MP, but that would have to be a different discussion all together.
How good was winning our final against Manly feel?
Close Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.