EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals worrying 'suspicion'

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you just "ASSUME" it's the boomers..... that tells me enough.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals worrying 'suspicion' after Bulldogs player takes mental health leave
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals worrying 'suspicion' after Bulldogs player takes mental health leave
Canterbury football boss Phil Gould believes medical records may have been leaked relating to the mental health of a player.

Gould made the revelation on Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast after reports surfaced about unrest at the Bulldogs.

A story over the weekend claimed as many as eight players had raised concerns about workload under first-year coach Cameron Ciraldo.

READ MORE: World Cup kiss scandal explodes

READ MORE: Legend's grim Latrell warning amid text scandal

READ MORE: Ange disaster as Spurs knocked out in 18-year first

A later report then alleged one player walked out of a training session after being punished for arriving late, and then supposedly took leave from the club.

Gould confirmed a player has taken leave due to mental health reasons, but that details are not able to be made public due to the nature of the situation.

Canterbury Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould. (Getty)
"This is one of those where, as a club, we need to be very measured in our response, because there are some very sensitive matters at stake here," Gould said.

"It's just too sensitive to be giving details about what did or didn't occur, or what effect that's had on anyone that was involved. There are some exaggerations and some embellishments, but to even debate those issues is unnecessary at the time.

"We're certainly very mindful of the mental health and welfare of the player involved, and there is a lot of sensitivity around that.

Stream the NRL premiership 2023 live and free on 9Now

"It's not as though he walked out after the event, he was still with the club for another week and then decided he needed to take some leave, and he's been doing that.

"We've been waiting on some reports from medical people which we now have in our possession.

"My suspicion is that details of that report have been leaked out in some way, shape or form, which is why the media has now suddenly seized upon the story.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo. (Matt King via Getty Images)
"Our priority is the welfare of the player, it's as simple as that."

Opinion around the game has been split since the revelation that certain players were unhappy with their workload.

The Bulldogs are about to miss NRL finals for a seventh straight year, and Gould has no issue with the methods Ciraldo is employing to drag the team up the ladder.

"Cameron Ciraldo has at all times defended his coaching style and the type of training that we're doing at the Bulldogs, and we all support that wholeheartedly," Gould said.

"No one has walked out, I can tell you that. No player has complained to us at the club about anything around training or culture.

"It's good to know now the public understands how hard we work, because at times when you watch us play you would wonder whether or not we did.

Roosters sink Bulldogs with two blows

"It gets hard for some, it gets too hard for others, but the ones that come out the other side are the ones you want to build your club around."

Ciraldo himself fronted media on Wednesday morning to address the situation.

He didn't deny that players worked long hours, or that sometimes punishments were handed out for various indiscretions, but he made no apology.

"It hasn't been brought up. They are rumours but if there are people who don't want to work hard and don't want to tick every box to win NRL games then they don't have to be here," Ciraldo said.

The Bulldogs finish their season against Gold Coast on Sunday.
If u copy stories that's ok but you have to give credit to the source somewhere or a link to the story at the source.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've supported this club since 1973 and seen plenty of lows and plenty of highs. Fair weather fan please. If I was that I would have left fucking years ago FFS.
I've also been around life for long enough to judge a person's character. Gould is someone I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.
He's at my club. There is nothing I can do about it but I sure as fuck don't have to like it and sit with his cock in my hand like so many here.
Nothing wrong sitting with one's cock in one's hand. It's pretty much what I do all day every day. Nothing better thank you very much

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watching 6 Tackles with Gus and he is right on just about everything, especially the state of the game, officialdom and the way they’re ruining the game. The tldr is that it’s rugby league, injuries happen and big hits etc are part of the game.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If u copy stories that's ok but you have to give credit to the source somewhere or a link to the story at the source.
I copy it in reader mode because it’s easier didn’t realise removes the source

I’ll manually add in

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's absolutely no way CC is blameless in all of this. Of course not.

No matter what is said, he's steering the ship so needs to be responsible for the direction it's going in. Clearly we're not doing well, so he needs to take ownership of that which I believe he's doing.

The reality from my side, which I've said before, is that we've got a cultural problem which takes a long time to fix. It's about attitude and there's no true short-term solution other than hard work.

People are pointing to other clubs eg the Saints, and saying how they've turned things around quickly. Sure, and it doesn't look well for our club.

But, we don't know the magnitude of the issues within the club but it isn't hard to imagine. We've had a losing culture within across the board whether it be players, management, coaches. All of it.

One preseason with CC is going to change that.

If anything, he was too soft on the playing group from the beginning.
I agree . You just have to watch the press conference from today to see he has lost the dressing room. It is so alarming . Coaches usually just say it’s not true . He had a serious look on his face. They aren’t rumours.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh please...a dressing room full of shit karnts, hardly a big deal
I agree . You just have to watch the press conference from today to see he has lost the dressing room. It is so alarming . Coaches usually just say it’s not true . He had a serious look on his face. They aren’t rumours.

Reactions: DDR

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What most thought was happening seems like it was. They've pretty much confirmed it.

I think him and Gus have drawn a line in the sand.
If he is gonna back this hard stance up with consequences for non-performers then so be it I guess.
Us fans now have to be prepared that we may be loosing some of our good players who want out or maybe more bombshells to come yet.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You need to define "lost the dressing room" as I don't think it's entirely true.

While he doesn't have the whole team pushing in one direction together, I also don't believe the whole team is pushing against him either.

It seems quite clear there is a splinter group within the team, it sounds like the aim body is behind the coach?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You need to define "lost the dressing room" as I don't think it's entirely true.

While he doesn't have the whole team pushing in one direction together, I also don't believe the whole team is pushing against him either.

It seems quite clear there is a splinter group within the team, it sounds like the aim body is behind the coach?
I reckon Gus and CC have to call a meeting on Monday morning and lay down an ultimatum....you either are with us or fuck right off now.