News EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould 'indebted' to Bulldogs recruits but rebuild is 'only half done'

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs football manager Phil Gould says his job at Belmore is only "half done", declaring that Canterbury's recent success if only the "starting point" for the club's future.
The Bulldogs have won five from nine games this season, with the results pushing the club to sit inside the top eight for the first time since 2017.
Under the guidance of Gould, the Bulldogs have successfully turned over their entire club roster - including coaching staff, high-performance staff, players, and club officials.

Gould revealed that the three-season turnover was an essential need for the club in order to begin regenerating and energising the club to be a leading force in the competition.
"It was a bit of a task because a couple of years ago, in 2020 and 2021, the Bulldogs were last. They only won about three games in each year. It was probably the worst period in the club's history," he said on Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus.
"We actually turned the roster over in two years. All coaches, high performance and the playing roster was turned over in two years.

"I don't think that anyone would dare to attempt that or be able to do that in today's environment but that was what I wanted to do. We did it to get us now to a starting point to build our club into the future.
"I'm extremely happy with a lot of what's happening at the club. We've come a long way.
"We aren't out of the woods by any terms yet. We are still nowhere near where we need to be but I'm extremely happy with the culture and environment within our club.
"The job is only half done."
Gould's mission to regenerate the club began with the recruitment of marquee premiership winners Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton and Vilame Kikau, who all opted to go to Belmore from the Panthers.
Josh Addo-Carr also signed with the club in 2022 after five seasons and two premiership titles with the Melbourne Storm, with Gould praising the stars for "risking their careers to join the once struggling Bulldogs side".
"Some players took a gamble in their careers to come to the Bulldogs at this time and that's something I will never forget... I am indebted to those players for the rest of their careers and the rest of their lives.

"I'm not surprised that they are holding their own (on) the field. Obviously, we are all subject to injuries and depth of talent but we are in a far better position now than what we were a couple of years ago.
"What they're doing is they're competing every week. If you saw the way they trained during the off-season and the way they are preparing each and every week. The whole club is a completely different environment to what it was when I first arrived.
"The players that we have brought in are doing an outstanding job and I'm not surprised by any of them. They were all bought with a specific purpose in mind, with a specific character and personality about them.

"We were vulnerable last year and then we had a terrible injury run which just made it worse and worse. It's a terrible place to be in a losing football club and that was my responsibility during that period to keep everything together because it was my decision to go through that," he continued.
"It's hard to walk into a club and a board of directors, where you're club has run last over the past two years in a row, and say we've got to go backward to go forward... but there's not too much running backward when you're coming last in the comp.
"It's in a really good place at the moment and I'm really happy with it. Everything improves when there is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel."

The Bulldogs pathway programs had major success early this year after all four junior grades made it through to the finals.
The Tarsha Gale and Lisa Fioala women's competitions both triumphed over their opponents in the grand finals, winning both by more than 30 points.
"I'm really happy with our pathways program and how that's going," Gould said.
"There are a lot of good systems around the league but I don't think there are any that better.
"Now it's our job over the next few years to develop talent and bring talent through, and go from there to hopefully set the club up for a sustained future long term."
"The group of players that we have at the moment are a great example for the younger players coming through. That was important.
"If you're going to be a development club and bring people through pathways programs you need living and breathing examples of professionalism in your top grade and we have that now."

Video link
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...e-review/c5746127-9fe3-44e6-b032-3dbd29ded193

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll be the 1st to put my hand up when the Bulldogs Started to recruit so many utilities I just couldn’t understand the method behind the madness.
Sometimes when you’re stuck in quicksand, I guess it’s hard to believe that you can get out to a better place.

In all fairness the effort the boys and team collectively have been putting in has been nothing shorter phenomenal.

Had we not been officiated incorrectly in games ,We could well be in the top two.

I do believe the Bulldogs as a team and we all as supporters will be much stronger and our faith will hold our team in good steadfast for the rest of the year.

I think the top four is well within our reach, Now time for our efforts to get our Just rewards

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When you got the best brain in the league as your general manager of football, the best up and coming coach who many clubs wanted, a pathways system which is setup to keep producing talent and players that were recruited from winning clubs and winning cultures, a board which acts in the best interest of the club. When you have all this then it basically becomes impossible to fail.

The funniest thing though is that we still had dopes on TK who thought we’d still fail. Some even said we’d finish last this year…hahaha

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Josh Addo-Carr also signed with the club in 2022 after five seasons and two premiership titles with the Melbourne Storm, with Gould praising the stars for "risking their careers to join the once struggling Bulldogs side".
"Some players took a gamble in their careers to come to the Bulldogs at this time and that's something I will never forget... I am indebted to those players for the rest of their careers and the rest of their lives.
Take a look at the squad and the coaching set up back in 2021, that was when JAC signed up to play in the blue and white. And he did so by most reports for around $500k, didn't break the cap.

He's been a bundle of energy and enthusiasm, along with being a genuine world class winger. I hope he re-signs, I want to see him retire a Bulldog, with at least 1 premiership.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll be the 1st to put my hand up when the Bulldogs Started to recruit so many utilities I just couldn’t understand the method behind the madness.
Sometimes when you’re stuck in quicksand, I guess it’s hard to believe that you can get out to a better place.

In all fairness the effort the boys and team collectively have been putting in has been nothing shorter phenomenal.

Had we not been officiated incorrectly in games ,We could well be in the top two.

I do believe the Bulldogs as a team and we all as supporters will be much stronger and our faith will hold our team in good steadfast for the rest of the year.

I think the top four is well within our reach, Now time for our efforts to get our Just rewards
Didn’t seem to worry you when you posting every shit rag article putting shit on the club for the whole season eh?

Juniorluke

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Take a look at the squad and the coaching set up back in 2021, that was when JAC signed up to play in the blue and white. And he did so by most reports for around $500k, didn't break the cap.

He's been a bundle of energy and enthusiasm, along with being a genuine world class winger. I hope he re-signs, I want to see him retire a Bulldog, with at least 1 premiership.
Every chance he will. We owe a lot to JAC he came at the absolute worst time. We also should be appreciative of guys like Barrett and Pay who coached squads knowing there was no hope on the horizon. The players as well that have played for us during the horrible years 2020 2021 2022 2023. Mostly journeymen who realistically did their best.

I was always surprised by the criticism of the signings it was plain obvious to see they wanted to create guys who understood professional and standards. I remember reading before I joined and guys like Polly and 04 Dreaming and Flanagun just death riding Gould the coach and the squad and just thought to myself wow. It’s likely without Gould we would have ever broke away from mediocrity no investment in juniors and paying way overs for signings. Honestly without Gould we probably go 20 years without finals. The most important thing is Goulds successor. He needs to be with Gould 24-7 learning and understanding how to build and grow upon the pathway system. We have 3 maybe 4 years of Gould left. They need to be valuable with the baton passed on to the next great leader.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is the first time since that 2014 GF loss that I have been excited about our future.

The 2020 and 2021 seasons were horrible, and the teams at the top of the competition were only getting stronger, and we were tuning in to see our team get pumped every week, with most weeks being lucky to score once or twice. There also seemed to be a huge dearth of talent which was making it much tougher for teams like us to have any hope of rebuilding the squad.

We finally have a team that will put up a fight and score a few tries every week. And we seem to be at the forefront of the next era of the NRL, capitalizing on the new rules being implemented which have sped up the play.

We also have arguably the best playmaking talent coming through in Woods, and a bunch of young lads who are edging closer to making their debut.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Isn't a utility name used for someone who is multi-talented ?
We certainly have a very talented and a committed team missing a Fisher-Harris & a Cleary !
I don't think Hutch is our best halfback but I acknowledged his leadership material after his 1st interview !
At times it might not seem realistic but IMO if a team aims lower than winning the GF...It's negative !

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Egan Butcher & Siua Wong can't make the Roosters top 17 now & it gets even harder when Fifita is there next season. We should try to get one of them for Skelton or Wilson since they are losing a few backs after this season.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Egan Butcher & Siua Wong can't make the Roosters top 17 now & it gets even harder when Fifita is there next season. We should try to get one of them for Skelton or Wilson since they are losing a few backs after this season.
Siua Wong is a great young player. Is he an edge or a middle, though? we need middles

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Siua Wong is a great young player. Is he an edge or a middle, though? we need middles
We do need middles but we also need an extra backrower as our only 2 good ones are Kikau & Preston.