Who will qualify from group C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Still upset italy knocked out Australia in world cup or just writing garbage cause you have no knowledge of football
No knowledge of football? You are a disgrace. You completely derailed what I said and replied with something completely different. Where in my post did I mention Australia getting knocked out by Italy in the world cup?

...and if you are one of those pathetic Italian scums who went for Italy against Australia in that match, why don't you pull up the anchor and get the hell back to Italy?

Come back to me on Monday Morning when you've taken your pills and we'll then talk about something more recent, such as Spain knocking Italy out of the Euro 2008 comp :grinning:

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
France 0-2 Italy: World champs dispose of French
Scoring Summary
France Italy
Andrea Pirlo (pen 25)
Daniele De Rossi (62)
Podcast Soccernet Store
Match Stats
France Italy
Shots (on Goal) 13(7) 13(5)
Fouls 22 23
Corner Kicks 3 3
Offsides 3 1
Time of Possession 50% 50%
Yellow Cards 4 3
Red Cards 1 0
Saves 4 5
Match Information
Stadium: Letzigrund Stadium
Attendance:
Match Time: 19:45 UK
Referee(s):
Lubos Michel (Referee)
Martin Balko (Linesman)
Roman Slysko (Linesman)
Henrik Andren (Fourth Official)

Teams
France Italy
23 Gregory Coupet 1 Gianluigi Buffon
5 William Gallas 2 Christian Panucci
3 Eric Abidal 19 Gianluca Zambrotta
13 Patrice Evra 3 Fabio Grosso
14 Francois Clerc 4 Giorgio Chiellini
6 Claude Makelele 8 Ivan Gennaro Gattuso
10 Sidney Govou 21 Andrea Pirlo
20 Jeremy Toulalan 20 Simone Perrotta
22 Franck Ribery 10 Daniele De Rossi
12 Thierry Henry 18 Antonio Cassano
9 Karim Benzema 9 Luca Toni
Substitutes
16 Sebastien Frey Marco Amelia 14
1 Steve Mandanda Morgan De Sanctis 17
2 Jean Alain Boumsong Marco Materazzi 23
19 Willy Sagnol Alessandro Gamberini 5
15 Lilian Thuram Andrea Barzagli 6
17 Sebastien Squillaci Mauro German Camoranesi 16
4 Patrick Vieira Alberto Aquilani 22
7 Florent Malouda Massimo Ambrosini 13
11 Samir Nasri Alessandro Del Piero 7
21 Lassana Diarra Fabio Quagliarella 15
8 Nicolas Anelka Antonio Di Natale 11
18 Bafetimbi Gomis Marco Borriello 12
Substitutions
Samir Nasri for Franck Ribery (10)
Massimo Ambrosini for Andrea Pirlo (55)
Jean Alain Boumsong for Samir Nasri (26)
Mauro German Camoranesi for Simone Perrotta (64)
Nicolas Anelka for Sidney Govou (66)
Alberto Aquilani for Ivan Gennaro Gattuso (82)
Yellow Cards
Patrice Evra (18)
Andrea Pirlo (45)
Sidney Govou (47)
Giorgio Chiellini (45)
Jean Alain Boumsong (72)
Ivan Gennaro Gattuso (54)
Thierry Henry (85)

Red Cards
Eric Abidal (24)

· Club Squads: France | Italy

Updated: June 17, 2008, 8:00 AM UK
Italy beat 10-man France at Zurich's sold-out Letzigrund stadium to advance to the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 thanks to Holland's win over Romania.

Andrea Pirlo put the world champions in front in the 25th minute when converting from the penalty spot after Eric Abidal had brought down Luca Toni inside the area.

GettyImages
Franck Ribery is down in a heap after injuring himself early in the first half.

Abidal was shown a straight red card, leaving the French with a mountain to climb following the earlier loss of Franck Ribery to injury.

Italy led but were still made to sweat before Daniele De Rossi's 62nd minute free-kick took a deflection off Thierry Henry and struck the back of the net.

The turn of events completed a terrible tournament for Les Bleus, who were held to goalless draw against Romania in their Group C opener before being hammered 4-1 by Holland.

Italy, who finish second behind the Dutch in their pool, take on Group D winners Spain on Sunday in Vienna but the Azzurri will have to do without key players Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso, both of who were booked tonight earning suspensions.

France coach Raymond Domenech dropped captain Lilian Thuram, who looked sluggish against Holland, with Abidal taking his spot in defence. But the move backfired.

France did have the better start, earning two corners in the opening minutes but it was Italy who should have taken the lead when Toni failed to capitalise on Abidal's poor clearance and fired wide of the near post.

Domenech was forced to make his first substitution shortly after when Ribery sustained a left ankle injury and had to be stretchered off the pitch, with Samir Nasri taking his place.

Claude Makelele was then needed to make a vital clearance at the far post from Christian Panucci's close-range header as Italy got closer.

Karen Benzema's powerful strike from the edge of the area went inches wide of Gianluigi Buffon's near post and in the 21st minute, Pirlo played a one-two with Antonio Cassano before playing a wonderful ball inside the box to Simone Perrotta, who was unable to control the pass.

Disaster struck for Les Bleus seconds later.

Slovakian referee Lubos Michel pointed to the penalty spot and Pirlo coolly struck to the top hand corner.

The Italians made sure to impose their numerical superiority after Abidal's sending off and should have extended their lead by the half-hour mark but Toni wasted three good chances, much to the relief of the French fans.

The Azzurri's failure to capitalise on their opportunities could have cost them dearly as, shortly after, France almost equalised.

Jeremy Toulalan's precise pass found Thierry Henry, who surged inside the area before firing inches wide of the far post.

France keeper Gregory Coupet then provided a stunning save to deflect Fabio Grosso's free-kick onto his far post.

France did not give up but although they showed plenty of character, they failed to find the finishing touch to level the score before half-time.

Les Bleus picked up where they left off after the re-start and Benzema fired wide off the far post before Henry's effort forced Buffon to dive to his left.

News that Holland had taken the lead in the other group game in Bern reverberated around the stadium.

But it failed to inspire the Azzurri, who had mustered little after the break and were lucky to extend their lead in the 62nd minute.

De Rossi's free-kick saw the ball deflect off Henry's left foot and deceive Coupet, who had dived towards the right post and into the back of the net.

France could have got back into the game in the 73rd minute but Buffon made a stunning one-handed save to deny Benzema's curled effort.

Despite their opponents' brave attempts, Italy held on for a crucial victory

Wahesh

Reaction score
TBH Buffon has done really well this tournament. I wouldn't call the worlds best goalie though after the 3-0 thumping in game 1.

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No knowledge of football? You are a disgrace. You completely derailed what I said and replied with something completely different. Where in my post did I mention Australia getting knocked out by Italy in the world cup?

...and if you are one of those pathetic Italian scums who went for Italy against Australia in that match, why don't you pull up the anchor and get the hell back to Italy?

Come back to me on Monday Morning when you've taken your pills and we'll then talk about something more recent, such as Spain knocking Italy out of the Euro 2008 comp :grinning:
my parents are italian & i was born here & went for australia in that game.
Alot people get upset cause italy win. Do you think it was a penalty?
Every expert who commentated on the game said it was, so they must all be wrong in your eyes.
If italy lose to a better team in spain so be it & if you read my posts i have stated italy havent being that good so far but are getting better so do bit of research before you bag me out next time

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
TBH Buffon has done really well this tournament. I wouldn't call the worlds best goalie though after the 3-0 thumping in game 1.
Beaten by better team in that game no excuses

Wahesh

Reaction score
my parents are italian & i was born here & went for australia in that game.
Alot people get upset cause italy win. Do you think it was a penalty?
Every expert who commentated on the game said it was, so they must all be wrong in your eyes.
If italy lose to a better team in spain so be it & if you read my posts i have stated italy havent being that good so far but are getting better so do bit of research before you bag me out next time
Did the ref who officiated that game admit he was wrong after it and a senior FIFA official too?

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Did the ref who officiated that game admit he was wrong after it and a senior FIFA official too?
i think he did but its in the past champ, italy rode there luck big time that game but Viduka shouldve scored before that to send australia through.

K

Kane 'em

FFS get over Italy beating Australia in the 2006 WC!

I'm so ****in' pumped!!!!!!! This morning was insane!!!!

That's the Italy we have been accustomed to witnessing over the past couple of seasons. Total dominance by the Italians. We could've won by 6 or 7 goals tonight if Toni could've finished!

Pirlo was brilliant tonight. Had started off slow in this tournament, but he is a player for the big matches and certainly stepped up. De Rossi was an absolute colossus in the centre of the park. He held the midfield together and was forever present whether it be shutting down the opposition or making surging runs forward he really displayed to the World how much of a talent he is. Chiellini and Panucci at the back are gelling really well with the latter bringing experience and good organisation to the back four.

I feel sorry for France tonight, no really!
First thing is Abidal at centre back?
Abidal is not a recognised centre back and personally I can't recall him ever starting a match in that position. He struggled at Barcelona for the majority of last season at left back, his prefered postion, and Domench took a major gamble tonight by tossing him in the centre and not surprisingly it didn't pay off. Would have to go down as one of the most poor tactical decisions in the modern game. This was justified as he was continously caught out and sent off with a foolish tackle on Luca Toni only 24 minutes in! Toni and Pirlo were having a field day with him in the heart of defence. It wasn't pretty to watch if you were a French supporter.

Secondly, to see Ribery go off like that is something you never want to witness. Definitely France's best and most creative player of this tournament had to leave with only 9 minutes in. I was happy not to face him for the remainder of the game, but it was really disappointing to lose a player in that fashion.

Finally, TBH I believe it is an end of an era for France. With Makelele announcing his retirement post match and with the likes of Viera, Sagnol, Thuram to follow will allow France to enter a rebuilding phase over the next few years. They certainly have the quality and culture to return to the footballing heights which they have consistently managed to achieve over the past decade, but it will take time.

I just want to congratulate Donadoni. He will be branded as a God now in the media. Just goes to show how pathetic the Italian media are.

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FFS get over Italy beating Australia in the 2006 WC!

I'm so ****in' pumped!!!!!!! This morning was insane!!!!

That's the Italy we have been accustomed to witnessing over the past couple of seasons. Total dominance by the Italians. We could've won by 6 or 7 goals tonight if Toni could've finished!

Pirlo was brilliant tonight. Had started off slow in this tournament, but he is a player for the big matches and certainly stepped up. De Rossi was an absolute colossus in the centre of the park. He held the midfield together and was forever present whether it be shutting down the opposition or making surging runs forward he really displayed to the World how much of a talent he is. Chiellini and Panucci at the back are gelling really well with the latter bringing experience and good organisation to the back four.

I feel sorry for France tonight, no really!
First thing is Abidal at centre back?
Abidal is not a recognised centre back and personally I can't recall him ever starting a match in that position. He struggled at Barcelona for the majority of last season at left back, his prefered postion, and Domench took a major gamble tonight by tossing him in the centre and not surprisingly it didn't pay off. Would have to go down as one of the most poor tactical decisions in the modern game. This was justified as he was continously caught out and sent off with a foolish tackle on Luca Toni only 24 minutes in! Toni and Pirlo were having a field day with him in the heart of defence. It wasn't pretty to watch if you were a French supporter.

Secondly, to see Ribery go off like that is something you never want to witness. Definitely France's best and most creative player of this tournament had to leave with only 9 minutes in. I was happy not to face him for the remainder of the game, but it was really disappointing to lose a player in that fashion.

Finally, TBH I believe it is an end of an era for France. With Makelele announcing his retirement post match and with the likes of Viera, Sagnol, Thuram to follow will allow France to enter a rebuilding phase over the next few years. They certainly have the quality and culture to return to the footballing heights which they have consistently managed to achieve over the past decade, but it will take time.

I just want to congratulate Donadoni. He will be branded as a God now in the media. Just goes to show how pathetic the Italian media are.
Great post champ, agree 100% alot of so called experts just hate us italians cause we knocked australia out of the world cup.
Shame Pirlo & Gattusso out of Spain game.
Wonder who donadoni will bring in?

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a surprise, Italy takes a dive, a player gets a red card, and they get rewarded with a penalty as a result. Where have I seen that before???
I don't know where you have seen this before, must have been dreaming. If you are referring to the world cup game against Australia then you need to get a life. First off all there was no Australian player sent off in that game, although Italy played a man down for 40 minutes. Dive? What dive??? All I saw was a clear foul by Luca Neil as you can see by watching this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cS6Wqt00gTc and here http://youtube.com/watch?v=IrtbGFHSjWo

I apologise if that was not the familiar situation you refer too, if it wasn't then please by all means enlighten me on what it was.

As far as "Diving" is concerned I don't believe any fans of the socceroos are ones to talk as I seem to recall Australia receiving three yellow cards for "Diving" in the Asian cup last year.

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The referee never apologised, Sepp Blatter the FIFA president did however apologise, only to retract his statement a month or two later.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the italian dive in 2006 was clearly a dive. i don't think any commentator in the world except possibly in italy thought that deserved a penalty. certainly the british BBC ones didn't think it was a penalty or so they were saying this morning on setanta, so don't feed bull**** about it being a clear penalty because it was a clear dive and grosso should have been carded for the dive like robben was against argentina/portugal.

anyway, i'm glad that france will finally be getting a new manager, they'll come back firing for south africa 2010 hopefully!

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the italian dive in 2006 was clearly a dive. i don't think any commentator in the world except possibly in italy thought that deserved a penalty. certainly the british BBC ones didn't think it was a penalty or so they were saying this morning on setanta, so don't feed bull**** about it being a clear penalty because it was a clear dive and grosso should have been carded for the dive like robben was against argentina/portugal.

anyway, i'm glad that france will finally be getting a new manager, they'll come back firing for south africa 2010 hopefully!

LOL whatever makes you feel better...

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
^^The Penalty was for obstruction to path of goal. SIMPLE!

What really gets me is that not one muthfuker can see that Lucas Neil puts out his elbow to purposely get Grosso to trip as he knew he would of scored otherwise. Open your eyes. It's in the replay over, and over, and over, and over and over again! The penalty was just and deserved.

~MC~

untouchable
Reaction score
^^The Penalty was for obstruction to path of goal. SIMPLE!

What really gets me is that not one muthfuker can see that Lucas Neil puts out his elbow to purposely get Grosso to trip as he knew he would of scored otherwise. Open your eyes. It's in the replay over, and over, and over, and over and over again! The penalty was just and deserved.
Great post, great sig!

Status
Not open for further replies.