Ennis reading the Kennel (re Mbye)

Status
Not open for further replies.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lolipop nice one, yes the service is woeful. too slow as you said, there is no direction in his play either.
hookers need to kick also, otherwise the opposition teams just simply target our kickers. if he can kick then it takes the pressure of frawley and reynolds as the markers are in 2 minds if the dummy half is going to kick. we need options across the park.
I have a theory - and I might be completely wrong on this (and i'm not saying Lichaa is blameless) but we see Lichaa is able to bullet pass to backs from the ground, so why does it change to forwards?

Is it a statistical play coached by Des to mitigate forwards dropping the ball and having more time to position the ball under the wing? The only basis I have for this is how over coached we seem to be on so many elements and Des' obsession with percentages and stats.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeh im not sure, look he is a good player, he is playing first grade. but for me he is not up to first grade standard, would he play first at any other club, id probably say no.
can he be used in a different way, possibly yes, play the first 25 then replaced by Mbye of the bench.
he could easily play as a defensive lock if were protecting a lead late in the game also.
i think his days are numbered imo as woolford looks very good in reserve grade
My fear with Woolford (and part of the reason i'm more patient with Lichaa than a lot of other members) is that I can't see a reason why Des would change his "stripes."
I think we'd still see him turned into an 80 minute tackling machine and essentially turn back the clock on our #9 development.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As if our stubborn coach was going to take the tip from Ennis

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great stats except for the really important one and that is that they played at different clubs with different roles and in different structures with the exception of the Dogs. When you look at those stats they are almost identical and the one big difference is that Ennis was calling the shots as captain and Lichaa was subservient to Graham/Tolman and co until this year when he started to take greater control. The bottom line is that as a 22-23 year old Lichaa is going every bit as well if not better than a 30-31 year old with 10 years first grade experience in the same team. So by any objective assessment he gets a pass mark at the least. Sure he has a lot of improvement in him but wouldn't you rather a kid getting better than someone on the slide....
You can't be suggesting that Ennis was on the slide???

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't be suggesting that Ennis was on the slide???
How's he going this year? My point is that everyone is saying what a dud Lichaa is but the truth of the matter is that he is actually going pretty well for someone with his experience and age. Every season he brings more skills out of the cupboard and starts using them and given he is only 23 he is doing a reasonable job for us and will only get better. The main reason he is seen as slow from the play the ball is because the players take all day to get up off the ground, giving the opposition time to set their defence. The longer Klem/Graham and co struggle at the tackle the easier it is for the opp to get set which cuts down on Lichaa's time to get the ball out. A good example is what happens with every hooker when they are attacking near the goal line. Almost every one of them takes a step back before passing the ball to prevent the opp from getting to them. The same thing applies in principle for Lichaa if the play the ball is slow.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's he going this year? My point is that everyone is saying what a dud Lichaa is but the truth of the matter is that he is actually going pretty well for someone with his experience and age. Every season he brings more skills out of the cupboard and starts using them and given he is only 23 he is doing a reasonable job for us and will only get better. The main reason he is seen as slow from the play the ball is because the players take all day to get up off the ground, giving the opposition time to set their defence. The longer Klem/Graham and co struggle at the tackle the easier it is for the opp to get set which cuts down on Lichaa's time to get the ball out. A good example is what happens with every hooker when they are attacking near the goal line. Almost every one of them takes a step back before passing the ball to prevent the opp from getting to them. The same thing applies in principle for Lichaa if the play the ball is slow.
What skills does Lichaa bring out of the cupboard?

He cant kick long, short or grubber

He cannot pass off the ground without standing up first.

When he takes a dart out of dummy half, he runs, stops passes backwards or runs sideways.

The worst thing of all, he doesnt have the number 1 fundamental of a hooker - he cannot engage the opposition markers at all.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What skills does Lichaa bring out of the cupboard?

He cant kick long, short or grubber

He cannot pass off the ground without standing up first.

When he takes a dart out of dummy half, he runs, stops passes backwards or runs sideways.

The worst thing of all, he doesnt have the number 1 fundamental of a hooker - he cannot engage the opposition markers at all.
Don't confuse doesn't with can't. He is playing to orders. First bit was to build him up to take on an 80 min NRL workload. He did that last year - his first season where he had a pre-season. This year it is obviously to work on his running which he is doing plenty of. Why would it be so unreasonable to think that the next season he will develop his kicking game. As for his 'darts' he has made plenty of metres out of DH and perhaps his expectation is that someone is coming with him but because he is relatively new at doing it they are letting him down - That was Abbey's role and where was he? Maybe with BMoz doing the job he might have support.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
you forgot to mention the other key differences.

Ennis was an unknown at junior levels but kept on on improving every year in the first grade.

Liccha was a "super star" at junior level with a lot of hype and his performance has declined every year in the first grade.

Ennis moved from one club to another in his younger days cos he was in demand unlike Liccha who will struggle to play first grade with any other club other than the Dogs.
I agree with most but he moved club to club coz no one wanted him mate! Knights had Buderus st merge had piggy riddel, the only club that wanted him was dogs 09! And in the end they also didn't want him, hence his move to Cronulla! So to say he kept moving coz he was in demand is outright wrong! So all his moves were because there was a better option at that club or in our case, club didn't want him!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with most but he moved club to club coz no one wanted him mate! Knights had Buderus st merge had piggy riddel, the only club that wanted him was dogs 09! And in the end they also didn't want him, hence his move to Cronulla! So to say he kept moving coz he was in demand is outright wrong! So all his moves were because there was a better option at that club or in our case, club didn't want him!

i will see how many clubs line up for liccha once he goes to open market.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good report. Hes spot on about Reynolds. He needs to be the starting 5/8, thats quite clear.
Mbye is better suited in the centres. He is quick, his defence is good, and he doesnt have to think a lot.
He's got a great football brain remember so thinking shouldn't be a problem

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Further to that, he constantly says how Des restricted his game and only wants his 9's to tackle, but then goes onto say Lichaa was one dimensional.. ? Can't have it both ways...
Lichaa is shit regardless

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right, Ennis should actually thank Liccha and Des that they gave him an opportunity to win another Dally M medal and finally a premiership ring.

It is just like ending up with scarlet johansson look alike girl friend who is also as rich as Gina Reinhart after your life long, fat ugly girl friend dumps you.
Can we replace Scarlett with Denise milani please

Status
Not open for further replies.