england scared...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
ENGLAND manager Sven-Goran Eriksson doesn't fear Brazil or Argentina at next year's World Cup, but wants to avoid Australia in tomorrow's (AEDT) draw.

Though he believes a seeded England is better-equipped to face the world's elite in 2006 than it was in 2002, Eriksson is bracing himself for a tricky draw in Leipzig.

"Holland, Australia and the United States would be the worst for us," said the England boss.

"On paper, Holland are the best non-seeded team. Marco Van Basten is building a new team and has been very successful with it."

Looking at the other pots from which England's group rivals will emerge, Eriksson said: "The United States and Australia desperately want to beat England in a big tournament. That would be a big boost for their countries."

England's long-standing sporting rivalry with Australia has reached new heights in recent years, with victory in the Ashes and the 2003 rugby World Cup final triumph.

But Eriksson has unhappy memories of the last meeting on a football pitch. England losing 3-1 in a sharply-contested Upton Park friendly in 2003, which he now regrets having organised.

"It was far away from a friendly match," he said. "They desperately wanted to beat us and they did."

Unaware of the intensity of the old rivalry, he admitted: "I never knew. If I had known about it, I wouldn't have played Australia because it was not a friendly game at all."
Whatever the draw, if David Beckham's men make headway they are likely to face the big guns of South America.

Knocked out in 1998 by Argentina and in 2002 by eventual champion Brazil, England has now added the likes of Frank Lampard, Joe Cole and more importantly, 20-year-old sensation Wayne Rooney.

"The squad, the team is much, much stronger than it was three-and-a-half years ago," said Eriksson.

"I think we are technically much better and we are more experienced.

"We are one of four or five teams who can win it and we will have one week's more preparation, which I think will mean a lot to the squad."

The Swede also pointed to Lampard and fellow midfielder Steven Gerrard coming second and third behind Ronaldinho in last month's European footballer of the year award and highlighted England's 3-2 friendly win over Argentina last month as evidence of the team's increasing quality.

He dismissed any idea of England being frightened by the favourites or being susceptible to the kind of red cards shown this season to Rooney for Manchester United and Beckham for both Real Madrid and England.

"If you look at the list I don't think we need to be afraid of any of them - any more than they are of us - and the right word is not 'afraid' it's 'respect'," he said.

"You have to respect Brazil or Argentina or Holland if you meet them and you have to play very well. But I know that we can do that."

As for having the right temperament, Eriksson said: "All the players picked, from Real Madrid or wherever, will come into the World Cup wanting to win it.

"I'm not worried about the temperament of Beckham or Rooney. They will do everything right at the World Cup."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17511520-23215,00.html

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
I am so stoked that the Aussies will be there mixing it with the big guns. I think they could do what Korea did and cause a few upsets.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same here.

It feels good when countries like england are scared of aus.

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi

W

Winston Smith

i hope we play poms in the group. and we win of course

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kewell will put becks in his left rear pocket

lol

I hope viduka has a blinder.

I know he has the skill to put any defender on show but when will he emerge and show his talent?

Go viduka, u can do it.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not call them scared. They would be wary at best.

Hopefully we can ruffle a few feathers and do well and at least get past the first stage.

Maza

Reaction score
i want to comment on this.........but that would mean i hav 2 read the WHOLE article lol....

beckham will fluster as per usual (hopefully)

thats the only comment i can make atm based on every1 elses comments :p

M

MrCharisma

I see another fight involving the mighty British

sticks up dukes, ready for a fight

Christabella

Reaction score
Awww what a pity we didn't draw them. LOL @ the comments about the so-called friendly, anyone could have told Sven it wouldn't be that friendly.

I wonder what Sven thinks of his home country?
Oh and Dwight Yorke too, that group is so cool!

shifty581

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
they are scared because u guys have the same coaching styles we have can match them in that category thats whats svens scared about

Status
Not open for further replies.