Opinion Emerging players to watch across all grades in 2024

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's one for you @bulldogruss out of all the kids coming through, forget about the obvious like Papa, Oloapu and Woods, who's the one player you'd stake your name on becoming a mainstay for the future bulldogs.
It'd be Interesting to hear who others would say too.
thats a good question - ten years ago i would hav been confident to give a name or two - so much harder now with such varying degrees of access to weight n strength programs, playing to instructions or not, game structures, players in different age divisions etc.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a good question - ten years ago i would hav been confident to give a name or two - so much harder now with such varying degrees of access to weight n strength programs, playing to instructions or not, game structures, players in different age divisions etc.
Who are your top 3 assuming they all reach their ceilings?

I'll go,

KO
Woods
Marshall

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Agree with this, very hard. Removing Woods from the equation despite only being in Harold Matt’s adds to the degree of difficulty

What I will say is I am definitely going to be barracking for Isaac Matalavea-Booth to kick on. His imposing size could be great for us if he develops to NRL standard.

Props are the hot topic for us in our current position, so with that in mind I’ll also back in at least Jack Todd to come through, he’s going really well and plays bigger minutes for a prop too.

(But I’ll also sneak Woods in here too, I like his playing style a lot, reminds me of a young bulldogruss )

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do agree on Harrison (if he does re-sign). I think they'll run with Karl at 5/8 for now (and possibly for the next couple of seasons, but could eventually move to lock. We will have a fair indication in December training though i think.
I haven't seen KO in any cup or flegg games (although will likely to go to the flegg GF).

From what I've seen in first grade, he seemed to have the right skills to make a good 5/8th.

He is 10 times more likely than Burton will ever be.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen KO in any cup or flegg games (although will likely to go to the flegg GF).

From what I've seen in first grade, he seemed to have the right skills to make a good 5/8th.

His passing in the last two flegg games has been outsanding

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score

It’s only very early on in his career, he does seem to get more involved in games as the minutes tick. So far not trying to get his hands on every set etc.
In his NRL stint I do think he was told just to ease into it and just focus on the basics, which is fair enough.
Showed defensively he can handle it. If he can replicate some of his try assists in cup and JF on the bigger stage he will do well.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

KO has WAY better passing and tackling skills than Burton but is probably still a year away from starting in the NRL in my opinion.

He only played this season because we were desperate.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
With it being a tough year in the NRL for us faithful to sit through, I thought it would be worthwhile to put together a summary of some of the talent we can look forward to watching in the future.

Gus has flagged that we need to build from within if we are going to be successful moving forward, and I think overall there is definitely some promise to come.

Here are my picks:-

NRL
Blake Wilson (Wing)

*pending re-signing
- Joining dogs for pre-season, impressed early in NSW Cup before opportunity to step up into NRL through injuries. Good work ethic and very quick.
2024 Prediction - if he does re-sign will be up for the challenge to hold a spot in the back line with new quality signings - Xerri and Crichton in particular, making competition tougher. Will need to work hard on his defensive decisions in the off season

Jacob Preston (2nd row)
Player of the year, rookie of the year. Watched him in pre season training a bit and could tell he was going to a stand out, put in lots of effort. Highlight of the year overall, and with us for a long time to come.
2024 prediction - Lock him in for right side second row, and expect him to continue his form.

Harrison Edwards (lock)
Played NRL and NSW cup
*pending re-signing
Proved to be a solid addition to the forward pack that was lacking real grunt. A bigger body and could ball play.
2024 prediction - Will expect him to be back up to first grade and work on a higher work rate.

Kurtis Morrin (utility forward)
Played NRL and NSW cup
*pending re-signing
Lacks in size but not effort. Took whatever opportunity given to him, playing above his weight as prop.
2024 prediction - Expect him to slot in at lock for cup, potential captain for them if re-signed, and see first grade opportunity through the year with injuries.

Karl Oloapu (5/8)
Played NRL, NSW cup and Jersey Flegg
A mixed year with stints in 3 different grades and teams, as well as a decent lay off with injury. Mixed opinions also on whether he should have played NRL this year or wait. Only time will tell if the decisions were right. Great ball playing skills, particularly his draw and short pass. Strong defensively too.
2024 prediction - Will do much better with a full preseason at the club. Watched him train a bit when he joined and was off the pace fitness wise. Expect he will be NSW cup 5/8 next year despite still being able to play Jersey Flegg. Will get opportunities in first grade but not expecting him there all year just yet. Another one we can be patient with for his own success.

NSW Cup
Jeral Skelton (Wing)

Strong and skilful. Have watched with high interest since he joined, and he has what it takes to be an imposing force in NRL. I understand he probably let himself down a bit with work ethic in training and 1%er’s and could have grabbed more opportunities through the year.
2024 prediction - got a brief intro in first grade this year, which has given him a good taste. Club was happy to see improvements from him in the last month of 2023, and I know he is aiming to lift for 2024. If he can show it every day in training no doubt we will see much more of Jeral in NRL

Josh Kalati (Prop)
Ron Massey captain and played NSW Cup
Led from the front in a challenging year for the Ron Massey team, lots of changes throughout the season. Got a few opportunities in Cup and bagged a couple of tries for his efforts
2024 prediction - We may get to see more of Josh in the regular 17 for cup this year.

Jayden Tanner (prop)
NSW cup player of year
Whilst having limited opportunity in NRL through injuries, Jayden has shown a high & consistent work rate in NSW Cup through the year
2024 prediction - I expect Jayden will get another year in cup to develop and will know more about his ability to step up in future

Samuel Hughes (prop)
Played NRL and NSW Cup
A year interrupted a bit with injury. Didn’t get many big stints when in NRL but showed a bit in cup when he played.
2024 prediction - definitely has the opportunity to push for regular first grade, with our lack of props currently. A big pre season for him no doubt.

Jersey Flegg
Joash Papalii (FB)

Played NSW cup and Jersey Flegg
Joash has had a strong year overall for his development, spending a decent amount of time in NSW cup. Slotted back in to Jersey Flegg and is a key player in its finals success. Likes to get involved in attack with his elusive running, but can link well with others too. Not the biggest fullback but is pretty strong and will fill out. Destined to rise to the top, patience is key.
2024 Prediction - Should be a mainstay in NSW cup to further his development and get him ready for NRL

Lachlan Vale (2nd row)
JF player of year. Played NSW cup and Jersey Flegg
Injured to finish the year and miss out on the finals, but a consistent performer on the edge for this talented team.
2024 Prediction - Got one run in NSW cup in 2023 but would expect to see more of him there in 2024

Jack Todd (prop)
A really strong ball runner for the Jersey Flegg team. Able to bust tackles and makes great yards for the team to play off. Can be quite solid in defence too.
2024 prediction - has managed 3 cup games in 2022 and 4 in 2023, being with the dogs since 2019. I think we will see much more of Jack in Cup for 2024.

Lipoi Hopoi (prop)
Lipoi is another strong prop forming a good 1-2 punch with Todd. A decent motor and got some good opportunities through the year in cup, not letting anyone down.
2024 Prediction - Much like Jack Todd, I think he will continue to see more involvement in the cup team next year.

Zac Montgomery (prop/2nd row)
A real goer. High energy, definitely a bit of mongrel in him too, which I like to see. Played a few cup games with mixed results.
2024 prediction - another that will get more chances in cup through the year and will be better for the opportunities given to him this year there.

Isaac Matalavea-Booth (Prop)
Played Jersey Flegg
This kid is huge. It was really disappointing to see him go down really early on in the year and effectively out for the rest of the year. He’s been compared to NAS due to his size, and definitely have some similar footy skills. A long way to go though as the further he goes up in the grades the faster and tougher they become.
2024 predictions - I’m excited to see him fit in 2024. I’ve no doubt he gets into cup if he shows his capabilities, then anything can happen with him.

Joseph O’Neill (half)
A really impressive year for Joseph. Held his own in Cup when he stepped for a while, the team fell away around the same time he went back to Jersey Flegg. Whilst that wasn’t the sole reason for their decline, he was doing well. A good all round game - kicking and running in particular I feel.
2024 prediction - I would expect to see him playing in the halves for cup. Where that leaves Bailey Hayward, Khaled Rajab and BBO in the longer term through the year we will see.

SG Ball
Jordi Mazzone (Wing)

Played SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW cup
Have watched Jordi play for a few years now and he is quick, “Fox fast”. Given half an opportunity he is away down the left hand touchline. Those small chances are often converted into a try. Slim build but doesn’t shy away from the early set hitups. A good team player. Managed to step up to Jersey Flegg and even got 3 games in cup.
2024 prediction - will play up again in Jersey Flegg, but with more work on defence may see a bunch more cup games too.

Damon Marshall (Lock)
Highly regarded and spoken about already on the kennel, and with good reason. Damon is a workhorse type player. Not the biggest but strongly built and does the tough stuff well. Runs good lines back into the ruck with good legspeed, which makes good yards. Very reliable in defence too. Has been able to step up and settle in to the Jersey Flegg team, playing an important role in the finals campaign. Got a taste of Cup this year with 2 games as well
2024 prediction - No doubt we will see him play between Cup and Jersey Flegg again next year. Wouldn’t want him rushed but is promising for the future.

Jonathan Sua (Wing)
Strong in attack, Sua has been able to play up grades in JF and Cup. Another one with good promise.
2024 Prediction - with a couple of depth outside backs moving on, Sua may very well end up seeing more cup games. A few other talented kids will make it a good challenge though

Fanafou Seve (prop)
Played SG Ball
Strong ball runner, makes good yards and can bust over the line. Like how he plays.
2024 prediction - I would expect him to get a shot up a grade next year

Harold Matts
Mitchell Wood (half)

A classy organising and attacking half, has been highlighted a bit around the kennel for a while. A stand out in the grade and a key reason for its success this year.
2024 prediction - pending his decision between NRL and AFL, he will get opportunity in SG Ball, possibly even JF too if circumstances allow. Will need to fill out a bit more, but he plays smart and this type of halfback is rare these days.

Sosaia Alatini (2nd row)
High work rate, bit of mongrel about him too. One of the stand outs for the team I thought.
2024 prediction - gets an opportunity in SG ball hopefully

Bronson Reuben (5/8)
Consistent foil for Woods through the entire season. Good boot on him as well.
2024 prediction - Hoping Bronson can continue the combination with Woods in SG ball next year

Who are your stand outs? Looking forward to any in particular next year?
I know there are a few here that enjoy watching the juniors and getting to the games, would love to also hear from you guys on who you believe we should be looking out for next year too, and I am happy to add any in the original post as a good guide for others.

@diddly
@Jackson_1994
@2ndphase
@Roger the alien
@ChesoBulldog
@dogon
@stingray
@billy beane
& apologies to those that I’ve missed, please add your thoughts too
You missed the best player
Seve from st Christopher 16 played in matts gf
6’3 and a fukn weapon
Still eligible for matts next year but should play flegg

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good summary. Other potential
* Harry Hayes. Have not followed him too close but had a cracked of a game on Saturday. Big lump of a lad, that can bend the line, can offload & has some grunt in his tackles. Bit short in the fuel tank, but that will get better.
* Kautoga - came from the tigers(?). But was impressive this year. The most likely forward in NSW cup to make a break, has some good speed for a big guy & some ball skills.
* Ryan Gray. Had an injury interrupted season, but is a clever hooker, good speed & vision. Looking for him to improve next year.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This junior rebuild had momentum prior to Gus, however he has really taken it to the next level - we are currently as strong as we have ever been for guys 16-20 yo.

I hope we persist with Alamoti, he should have been given the chance to dominate Flegg this year and play the odd reserve grade game against men. He was born in 2004 so he was still eligible for Sg ball.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
6’3 and a fukn weapon
Yes good call, I had Itula initially in there but was part of my cull to reduce names, I didn’t want to end up naming everyone

He had a strong finals campaign after mainly starting off the bench during the season. Don’t have him rated as the best emerging player in the club just yet, but definitely promising

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Good summary. Other potential
* Harry Hayes. Have not followed him too close but had a cracked of a game on Saturday. Big lump of a lad, that can bend the line, can offload & has some grunt in his tackles. Bit short in the fuel tank, but that will get better.
* Kautoga - came from the tigers(?). But was impressive this year. The most likely forward in NSW cup to make a break, has some good speed for a big guy & some ball skills.
* Ryan Gray. Had an injury interrupted season, but is a clever hooker, good speed & vision. Looking for him to improve next year.
Thanks Hackenbush, I do agree with Harry Hayes, strong kid who looks like he will go well. Not sold on Kautoga and Gray I must say.
Whilst Gray has been reliable at hooker, others have been prioritised through the season. Kautoga came to us during the season and didn’t really stand out, maybe that changes through pre-season but as it stands I didn’t feel those two were emerging so to speak.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
6’3 and a fukn weapon
I assume the Seve in SGBall is his brother - had some really good patches where he completely dominated games - as is the case with big middles just needs consistency in defence - i think he also has another year at u19s

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
I assume the Seve in SGBall is his brother - had some really good patches where he completely dominated games - as is the case with big middles just needs consistency in defence - i think he also has another year at u19s
I also assumed this but being honest hadn’t checked it. Fanafou definitely stood out, considering the team overall didn’t make finals.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Eli Clarke should be ready and a main stay for NSW cup next year and might even get a run in the top grade pending selections.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Unless he is killing it in the trials I'll keep in at 6 in cup and let him develop. Hopefully other kids join him and they can develop together and have a combination ready for NRL. Just think what he will be like at 23 /24 yrs old . Strong powerful kid with ability to play straight and short passing game. Dymock clone maybe..
It's funny you say that... The more I watch him the more I think of Jimmy Dymock!

He is only 18 and will grow (Height wise and weight/build)... I'd have him as a 5/8 in lower grades to develop the skills needed then play him potentially at 13 in 1st grade (a year or 2) as a Jim Dymock type ball playing/the odd kick Lock.

Jim Dymock had mongrel about him also this kid doesn't, hopefully that desire to win grows in him.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
It's funny you say that... The more I watch him the more I think of Jimmy Dymock!

He is only 18 and will grow (Height wise and weight/build)... I'd have him as a 5/8 in lower grades to develop the skills needed then play him potentially at 13 in 1st grade (a year or 2) as a Jim Dymock type ball playing/the odd kick Lock.

Jim Dymock had mongrel about him also this kid doesn't, hopefully that desire to win grows in him.
Who knows how he develops, it's good he wasn't part of the whinging group. Let's hope we build something in the Reggie's and 1st grade isn't a heap that the next crop can naturally develop.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We should start 2024 with a team similar to this team in NSW Cup. A strong team & see which juniors can step up to the NRL level.

NSW Cup:

01. Joash Papali'i
02. Hayze Perham
03. Bronson Xerri
04. Ethan Quai-Ward
05. Blake Wilson
06. Karl Oloapu
07. Joseph O'Neil
08. Sam Hughes
09. Reuben Moyle
10. Jayden Tanner
11. Reece Hoffman