Embattled Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo says he’s trying to “change behaviours”

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs used ‘spinning wheel’ punishment
Embattled Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo says he’s trying to “change behaviours” and “drive standards” at the battling NRL club after revelations a fringe first grader walked out after he was punished for being late to training.

Source : Daily Telegraph

The Bulldogs launched an investigation into the treatment of the player who was allegedly made to wrestle more than a dozen players as his punishment for being late.

The Rugby League Players Association is also investigating the incident that happened five weeks ago amid reports about player discontent with first-year coach Ciraldo.

On Wednesday, he said it was a “sensitive issue” and wouldn’t go into the specifics but was adamant player-driven punishments for being late were part of the lift in standards needed at the Bulldogs.

He denied there was mass pushback from the players and said it was his job to fix a culture which “is not right” after several mediocre seasons.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo said it was a ‘sensitive issue’. Pic by Max Mason-Hubers
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo said it was a ‘sensitive issue’. Pic by Max Mason-Hubers
“I don’t want to comment specifically but at different times we’ve wanted to put some standards in place and obviously if you’re late we have to do something,” he said.

“We are trying to drive standards. We want to have winning performance standards and a lot of that is around individual responsibilities and we have to hold those standards.”

Ciraldo said physical punishment for a drop in standards was one of many penalties and he’d continue to push the players as a way to “change” behaviours.

“We’ve gone through a range of different ways of talking about holding standards,” he said.

“Some of that has been monetary (fines), others have been spinning a wheel and others trying to find ways to change behaviours.

“The reality is we need to change behaviours here. I think we have done a good job of that throughout the season and we will continue to find ways to change behaviours to winning behaviours.”

It comes as the Bulldogs limp to the end of a disastrous season that has returned just seven wins following the appointment of Ciraldo and the arrival of Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau.

Ciraldo said the clamp down on behaviours, amid player complaints of long days at the club, was key to turning a poor season in to a successful one.

“Nothing comes without hard work, we have one long day a week and if you get the last massage you‘re probably leaving at 5.30pm,” Ciraldo said.

“The days were longer at the place I was previously.

“Nobody has come to me and complained about long days, we‘ve got a Jersey Flegg (under 21s) group who do weights at 5am, work for 10 hours and come back and do field at 5.30pm.

“We‘ve got a leadership group that we meet with every week and you’d like to think if there was some unrest that those guys would have brought it up.”

Originally published as Bulldogs coach defends training methods after player walks on club

Last edited:

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2023: Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo defends club over player punishment

Source: Daily Telegraph

Far from going into damage control mode, Canterbury coach Cameorn Ciraldo has defended the punishment inflicted on a player who was allegedly late to training.

Ciraldo fronted the media just a day after revelations that one of his players quit the club following a physical punishment for being late.

“It’s a pretty sensitive issue and I won’t be commenting,” Ciraldo said. “I don’t want to comment specifically but at different times we’ve wanted to put some standards in place and if you’re late we have to do something.

“We are trying to drive standards. We want to have winning performance standards.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo fronted the media on Wednesday morning. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo fronted the media on Wednesday morning. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
“Some of that’s been monetary related, some of it’s been spinning a wheel and then some of that’s been trying to find ways to change behaviours.

“The reality is we need to change behaviours here, and I think we’ve done a good job of that throughout the season.

“And I feel really sorry for the fans that we are where we are.

“It doesn’t seem like we’ve taken steps forward this year on the same wins as last year. We definitely haven’t taken steps back.”

LATE PUNISHMENT

This masthead can reveal the player recently turned up to training and was told he was late. It is understood he believed he was well within the time limit set for training to begin but there are allegations he was then made to wrestle more than a dozen players as his “punishment.”

He became distraught and left training.

The player is under contract at the club until the end of next season but has vowed not to return.

This masthead has chosen not to name the player because of sensitivity around the case and his welfare. However, the Rugby League Players Association is also investigating.

Last edited:

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote and leak from a player from another article

Source: Daily Telegraph

The player hasn’t returned to the club since the incident, and one person who witnessed the session speaking on the condition of anonymity said the player was left physically and emotionally scarred after the training punishment.

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The tide is finally starting to turn. Sounds like the standards are finally being lifted, club isn't taking any shit anymore and the players have to knuckle down train their arses off and actually work for each other

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good! Don’t back down.. get to work on time, train the fucking house down and make us proud of this great club again.
no more buying over hyped self entitled fat lazy cu!ts like TPJ again.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ciraldo should be forced to wrestle 12 guys when he makes a dumb decision, this will improve his brain standards
I’ve got a sneaking decision he doesn’t always pick his side on ability, he picks it on attitude the blokes have towards training and representing this club even if there’s more talented players he’s leaving out… maybe

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ve got a sneaking decision he doesn’t always pick his side on ability, he picks it on attitude the blokes have towards training and representing this club even if there’s more talented players he’s leaving out… maybe
Depends on the coach. Bennett used to allow his stars like Langer to do his own thing when everyone else was training.

Bellamy on the other hand makes everyone earn their spot in the team regardless of status.

I reckon CC is taking the Bellamy approach.

chihuahua dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Are we at rock bottom yet or is there no ore to come beforehand?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
can’t knock him off that, he handled it well and everything he said was what the fans wanted to hear
Think it also proved that the truth is somewhere in between the media circus and Chinese whispers amplified by sewer media. I’ve got no problem with Ciro and/or Gus demanding a higher standard - it’s clearly required. And I’d also believe any ‘revolt’ from players is firmly in the minority. If this is the basis of the fortunes of our team turning the corner which culminates in winning regularly again and giving the scribblers and dribblers less ammo then what genuine member/supporter wouldn’t get behind it? #Onwards