Eight facing axe as Dogs urged to break bank for Burton

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Keep in mind the number probably includes ones that are leaving that we already know about like jmk and dufty.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
UNSIGNED DOGS

Matt Doorey

Matt Dufty

Zac Hetherington (development)

Reece Hoffman

Tuipulotu Katoa

Joe Stimson

Jackson Topine

Brandon Wakeham

Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone post this from the telecrap
Eight facing axe as Dogs urged to break bank for Burton

Jake Averillo has urged Canterbury bosses to pay Matt Burton whatever the playmaker asks for, declaring the NSW Blues centre is ‘worth every dollar.’

It comes as general manager of football Phil Gould revealed the club has five top-30 spots to fill for next year with $700,000-800,000 to spend.

Burton is on around $500,000 per season but will hit the market, where he is free to field offers from rivals from November 1 after opting not take up an offer for 2024.

A stunning debut for the Blues in Perth has only added to his asking price and it’s believed the Dubbo junior could command up to $700,000 a year.

“Hundred per cent, he is worth every dollar,” Averillo said.

“He gives our team a lot of confidence. Especially coming back from Origin with how he played in that last game. He is just a freak. He always comes up with those big plays and he’s got that big boot as well. He’s an in and out footy player.

“He’s the kind of player we need in this team.”

Averillo shares the same manager, David Riolo, with Burton and the duo will hit the player market at the same time.

“It’s a cliche but I want to let my footy do the talking, if you play well then things sort of unfold for you,” Averillo said.

“I haven’t had any extension talks, if clubs come and talk to me then I’ll deal with it then.”

A five-eighth coming through the ranks, Averillo was moved from the halves into centre after just two games.

Interim coach Mick Potter switched Averillo to fullback in round 14 and the 21-year-old believes he can be Canterbury’s long-term No.1.

Five tries in three games at the back has done no harm to Averillo’s chances at an extension with the Bulldogs but will certainly catch the attention of rival clubs.

“This is the most I have enjoyed my footy for a while, especially at the top grade,” Averillo said.

“You don’t have to think too much, you just react and I can play eyes up footy and use my speed, which are my strengths.

“There is a lot more freedom at the back there, I just follow the ball and wherever the ball goes. If I keep putting in good performances, hopefully I can stay there long term.”

While the likes of Averillo and Burton are hoping to secure their future beyond 2023, up to eight unsigned players, including Matt Doorey and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, are vying for the five remaining roster spots next season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Canterbury has shown interest in retaining both Doorey and Faitala-Marnier and are looking at upgrading a number of development players within the club.

Officials are keeping a close eye on Doorey, a local junior, who returned from an ACL injury through NSW Cup early this month. It’s believed three other clubs are circling the Junior Kangaroos backrower.

After making a successful from a long-term injury that kept the forward out for 14 months and threatened to prematurely end his career, Faitala-Mariner’s management met with the club on the weekend.

“I’m waiting for the call from manager to give me some good news, he had a catch up with club on the weekend. It was to do with how I’m going and my injury, they are happy with how I am going at the moment. This is my second home, my heart is with Dogs,” he said.

“I know I still have a lot more to offer in the NRL. I feel like after the break, longevity is on my side and I feel fresh, I feel good.”

UNSIGNED DOGS

Matt Doorey

Matt Dufty

Zac Hetherington (development)

Reece Hoffman

Tuipulotu Katoa

Joe Stimson

Jackson Topine

Brandon Wakeham

Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope we aren’t trying to keep Doorey. His cup game on the weekend explains it all. He can go along with everyone else bar RFM since it looks like he is putting pen to paper.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
lol Remember after Origin 2 they said that Matt Burton added a few extra 0's to his price.

That means he's gone from being worth $500,000 per year to $50,000,000 <-- hey, that's a few extra 0's right?

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
We dont know how much the salary cup is going up, and with inflation the way it is.... maybe.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol Remember after Origin 2 they said that Matt Burton added a few extra 0's to his price.

That means he's gone from being worth $500,000 per year to $50,000,000 <-- hey, that's a few extra 0's right?

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
No thats a couple he's now worth $500,000,000

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they axe everyone who will he pass to?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope we aren’t trying to keep Doorey. His cup game on the weekend explains it all. He can go along with everyone else bar RFM since it looks like he is putting pen to paper.
Doorey is a keeper. 22yr old in his second game coming off a knee reco who can easily play NRL for a low wage when fully fit... You dont understand the concept of a salary cap do you...

Last edited: