News Eels v Bulldogs: Round 1 preview (NRL.COM)

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eels v Bulldogs: Round 1 preview
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 7 Mar 2020, 07:01 AM

Traditional rivals Parramatta and Canterbury meet in a Bankwest Stadium blockbuster to kick-off the new season.
Having risen from last to fifth last season, the Eels have widespread expectation to improve again and challenge for the title.
The Bulldogs showed promise at the back-end of last year and were left rueing a slow start as they missed the finals by three points.

They have their work cut out to topple Parramatta at home, though, with Brad Arthur men's putting many a team to the sword on the fresh Bankwest Stadium turf in 2019.
The Rundown

Team news

Eels: Marquee forward recruits Ryan Matterson and Reagan Campbell-Gillard will make their official club debuts. Centre Waqa Blake (shoulder) is the only injury concern as he races the clock to return from off-season surgery.

Bulldogs: Kieran Foran's long-term shoulder injury has opened a spot in the halves, with Jack Cogger set to partner Lachlan Lewis. Fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (back) and wingers Christian Crichton (knee) and Nick Meaney (hamstring) sat out the final trial but should be available for selection. Jeremy Marshall-King (shoulder), Marcelo Montoya (knee) and Sauaso Sue (knee) didn't see any pre-season action but will push to play. Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle) and Chris Smith (knee) will join Foran in watching from the sidelines.

Key match-up
Clint Gutherson v Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. Both men are leaders. Gutherson's strength is working with his fellow attacking players while Watene-Zelezniak boasts a running game capable of lifting any team.

For the Eels to win
They'll take confidence from last year but Parramatta will have to crawl before running again in 2020. If the Eels do the basics right, we know they've got the firepower to blow anybody off the park.

For the Bulldogs to win
It was Canterbury's gritty defence that inspired their late-season charge in 2019 and more of the same is required if they're to get off to a flyer. The kicking games of Lachlan Lewis and Jack Cogger will be crucial given Parramatta boast one of the best back fives in the competition.

Stat Attack
The Eels had plenty of individual chart-toppers last year, led by Mitch Moses finishing first in try assists (25), kicks (343) and kick metres (9,413). Maika Sivo was the NRL's leading try-scorer (22), Reed Mahoney topped the tackle count (1,221), while Junior Paulo was equal first in offloads (59) with Bulldogs back-rower Corey Harawira Naera.

And another thing ...
The Eels' top-four hopes were dealt a massive blow in round 23 last year when they were upset 12-6 by the Bulldogs at Bankwest Stadium. It was just the second loss all season at Bankwest for Brad Arthur's men as their much vaunted attack was restricted to a single try by a red-hot Bulldogs side which was coming off impressive wins over the Panthers, Wests Tigers and Rabbitohs.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mitchell Moses is in red hot form, won't be surprised if he plays origin this year. I'm not expecting a win but I'd like to see the effort in defence and make the eels fight hard for the win.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I want to see is some variety in the opposition 20m red zone.. even if it means a sneaky kick on the 3rd tackle ...

want I don't want to see is one out hit ups by forwards with no bodies in motion either side of them.. FFS surely this is something that can be coached rather easily ??

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Key match-up
Clint Gutherson v Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. Both men are leaders. Gutherson's strength is working with his fellow attacking players while Watene-Zelezniak boasts a running game capable of lifting any team.
I hope we see DWZ 'working with his fellow attacking players' this year. If so he'll be an absolute weapon.

Ill cum in my pants if we smash Parra Thursday night. Cant remember the last time we won round 1.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I want to see Lewis run to the line more before offloading and a close game where we either win by couple of points or just fall short which will piss me off but I will get over it after a few shots of Jack Daniels.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kennel will be an interesting place if we play the same style like last year and get smashed.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Kennel will be an interesting place if we play the same style like last year and get smashed.
Mods should ban me for Thursday/Friday because I won't be able to help myself.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mods should ban me for Thursday/Friday because I won't be able to help myself.
I second that motion. all those favour say "I" "IIIIIIIIIIIIIII"
Motion Carried.

Mods please carry the wish of the people and Sancho2020 himself.:tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Motion Carried.

Especially if for the other 5 days of the week too...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling we're gonna get analed lol.
We're expected to so lets just hope we can be somewhat competitive. Anything better than that is a bonus. Eels are chokers imo so we have that on our side. I think we're going to have to score more than 12 points this time tho.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Motion Carried.

Don't get cheeky or I'll use caps lock

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Chill and watch the highlights of the last Thursday night game against Parramatta (spoiler alert, we win the game and the fight).

Go Dogs

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I want to see is some variety in the opposition 20m red zone.. even if it means a sneaky kick on the 3rd tackle ...

want I don't want to see is one out hit ups by forwards with no bodies in motion either side of them.. FFS surely this is something that can be coached rather easily ??
Tell that to 4th tackle Tolman, guaranteed he'll slow down our attack.