2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Eels’ ‘turbulent’ fight to keep $4m of talent

Are the Eels 'flat track bullies'?

Are the Eels 'flat track bullies'? | 01:06
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
August 2nd, 2021 5:21 pm

The Eels have a fight on their hands to keep six stars worth an estimated $4 million who are all coming off contract in 2022.

The Parramatta Eels have a fight on their hands to keep $4 million worth of talent from being poached by rival clubs as of November 1.

The Australian’s Brent Read reported on Triple M that;
Dylan Brown
Clint Gutherson
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Matterson
Isaiah Papali’i
Junior Paulo

are all free to talk with NRL rivals as of November 1 as they head into the final years of their deals in 2022.

“I think they have some rocky waters ahead and some turbulent times because they have a really tough draw coming up,” Read said on Triple M.

“They have got Souths this week and are in real danger of slipping out of the top four. Brad Arthur is under pressure. They desperately need Mitchell Moses back and I’m not sure he is back any time soon.

“Beyond that they have the November 1 deadline looming, which is when players enter the final year of their deals and can begin talking to other clubs formally about contracts.

“Look at this list of Parramatta players who are available to talk to other clubs from November 1, Dylan Brown, Clint Gutherson, Reed Mahoney, Ryan Matterson, Isaiah Papali’i and Junior Paulo.

“You are talking there I would say conservatively about $4 million worth of talent, that if Parramatta cannot lock them down in the next 10 or 11 weeks will suddenly be on the radar of a whole lot of other clubs.

“This next two or three months for Parramatta is huge for the coach and a lot of the players and huge for the club.”

Read pointed out that Brown has a player option in his favour for 2022, but the other stars will be hot commodities and will be in line for pay rises making it hard for the Eels to keep them all.

“Dylan Brown has an option in his contract so it will be up to Dylan Brown whether he takes it up for 2023,” Read said.

“But his manager has already sent his name around on a list to see whether he can generate some interest in Dylan Brown.

“Gutherson is an interesting one. Last time Gutherson did his deal with Parramatta it was played out quite publicly in the media.

“Things got a bit tense between Parramatta and Gutherson’s agent Sam Ayoub and in the end I think he took a little less to stay.

“I’m not sure he will do that again this time or at least I am not sure Sam will want him to.

“That is one that I think could become quite protracted and get quite messy.

“Read Mahoney just did a new deal through to the end of next year and his value has gone up.

“Papali’i they got for an absolute bargain. He is on nothing this year and nothing next year. Beyond that he is now a premier back-rower in the competition.

“It is going to be a struggle and they are going to have a battle on their hands to keep them all.”

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gutho and Mahoney would be their priorities.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson, Waddell, Stimson all come off contract around the same time.

Get Papalii and Paulo.
hahahaha you can add Flange to those three and they can be the “Stolen 4” for 2021…

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aren't we a million to 1 + for Mahoney as we snubbed him a few years back??

Couple of appealing forwards there would go well in the blue and white most definitely.

Not saying i'd want Gutho but i'm fucked if i know why he is hated SO much lol

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Papali’i and Mahoney 100%. Would be a nice fuck you for stealing the Bulldog 4 all those years ago. The rest are crap and they can keep them, especially Gutherson.
I cannot stand Gutherson but understand why the Eels love him. I hate his stupid dance lol

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we don't go all in for Mahoney, we are cooked.
I hope we haven’t put all our eggs in the basket and just looking at smith. In the off season, we need to aggressively recruit a hooker for the 2023 season and beyond. Lock up Mahoney or Smith!

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope we haven’t put all our eggs in the basket and just looking at smith. In the off season, we need to aggressively recruit a hooker for the 2023 season and beyond. Lock up Mahoney or Smith!
Bro i think halfback is now a bigger priority then hooker now dont get me wrong we need a fucking hooker too but halfback first then second prio MUST be HOOKER