Eastwood facing suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Yes the way acted with the Ref was ridiculous and he deserved to be punished.
Why are players in Union far more respectful towards referees even if they make the stupidest of mistakes? I am not a Union fan at all but I notice it most times I watch that game.

When I played League (yes it was over 20 years ago), we always called the ref "Sir". I don't know if that happens any more???

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
no momentum did that
You need to watch it again, Eastwood clearly make an extra effort of Pearces leg. Noticed it as soon as it happened during the game. Do i think he deserves to be suspended for it? No.

Kayser

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Where's our CEO in all this, are we bending over again I'm so sick of this double standed shit how are you meant to support a team that never gets a fair go
Probably sucking on Smith's love muscle.

doggedforlife

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
BULLDOGS are fighting eastwood charges ////////////////////////////////// yeh about time --- re sportal article this afternoon

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
He simply didn't let go. That's not twisting. If you watch the replay when he felt Pearces weight on top of him he release his grip and tried to put his hands out but he was stuck under his own weight and the weight of Pearce and Graham

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why are players in Union far more respectful towards referees even if they make the stupidest of mistakes? I am not a Union fan at all but I notice it most times I watch that game.

When I played League (yes it was over 20 years ago), we always called the ref "Sir". I don't know if that happens any more???
I touched on this in another thread. I grew up playing soccer my whole life, i only ever played League and AFL on then side. During my time playing soccer i was lucky enough to be coached by a former Australian captain. He always told me while being captain you must always approach the ref calmly and call him "sir" or atleast "ref". Doing anything other than that is just going to get you in shit.

doggedforlife

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL judiciary is again under fire with Bulldogs back-rower Greg Eastwood charged with dangerous contact on Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce.

Eastwood faces a week on the sidelines courtesy of 73 carryover points from a non-similar incident in the last two years, but the Bulldogs are set to fight the charge.

The 72nd minute incident occurred when Pearce was bent backwards awkwardly in a tackle by Eastwood and teammate James Graham.

The charge seems especially strange considering Roosters tyro Kane Evans escaped punishment for a shoulder charge on Sam Kasiano.

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of it has to do with the aftermath. Last year Reynolds got 3 weeks for a shoulder in SOO3 and a dreadful record, I don't think he hit Chambers head (I'm sure there are some here who will say he did) but he did get carried off and played no further part in the game. Kasiano got straight back up on Friday so would have been viewed as a lesser offence... was a cracking shot too.

Eastwood could have gone either way, a little harsh.

Didn't see the game to comment on the knees in the Souths match.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He simply didn't let go. That's not twisting. If you watch the replay when he felt Pearces weight on top of him he release his grip and tried to put his hands out but he was stuck under his own weight and the weight of Pearce and Graham
Yh tru that, i just watched it again and he doesn't really twist his leg. I still think he made an extra effort on his leg though that wasn' required

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Well then do any of you remember vs Souths in R20-26 2013?

Frank Pritchard was bent so far back he had to go down the tunnel and was out for a few weeks with not even a penalty.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well then do any of you remember vs Souths in R20-26 2013?

Frank Pritchard was bent so far back he had to go down the tunnel and was out for a few weeks with not even a penalty.
George Jennings has a hamstring tear from a tackle that bent him over forwards (like a crusher) against souths yesterday...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
George Jennings has a hamstring tear from a tackle that bent him over forwards (like a crusher) against souths yesterday...
Didn't One off the burgees brother do the same to lafai in the Souths game this year and lafai was out for a couple of weeks but no penalty or charge?

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And the nrl wonder why they are losing crowds. One of the worst run sports ever in history with the current administration.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Yh tru that, i just watched it again and he doesn't really twist his leg. I still think he made an extra effort on his leg though that wasn' required
In real time Pearces foot lifted off the ground and Eastwood pulled it down again. Since he was looking at the ground for all he knew Pearce was trying to step out of the tackle. The only time he did look up he saw what was happening and released his grip.

There is a tendency in the NRL to now penalise and charge players for anything that looks awkward. The classic example is when Morris was penalised last year in the final against Melbourne. He had grip of a player who was trying to break free. defenders are not obligated to let go of a player as much as an attacking player is not obligated to surrender to a tackle if they feel they are in an awkward position.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
exactly, stick to soccer as you have no idea or experience to comment on people like Reynolds
Ohh ffs, go away you pest.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seriously this is what I mean it's becoming a ****ing corrupt joke.

I am ALL FOR the shoulder charge IF the player can pull it off cleanly like Evans did. If you don't love it and don't love watching it you should follow ****ing netball. It is an amazing part of the game if you can do it cleanly. That said if you take it out of the game and ban it then let a beloved rorter get away with it because it's on a monster like Kas then you are clearly kidding yourself. It was a huge shoulder charge. If it was done on a man not a ****ing massive prop he would of been bent in half.

So now they are saying to the likes of Pritchard, Kas etc if you can pick out a bloke your size and lay it cleanly then penalty is all you will get? B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T. They would be suspended for weeks. Absolute disgraceful ****ing joke of an organization.
Yep, yet the NRL thought that there was some transgression because they sent him a letter of warning for the tackle. If they are going to say it is illegal they should ban it in all its forms.

http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/nrl-warns-evans-over-shoulder-charge-20150803-40dnv.html

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kane Evans didn't contact the head with the shoulder charge, that is a penalty not a judicial hearing.

I do think Beastwoods charge is a little harsh though.
Yes, it did not hit the head but not through lack of trying. In my opinion the intent was there to hurt and it was more good luck than good management. He was lucky he picked on Kasiano because a smaller bloke would have been just about picking his head up off the ground. The NRL thought it warranted a 'firm letter' from them asking the player to be careful of his tackling style.

From the NRL Rule Book 2015

SHOULDER CHARGE is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact with the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).(Refer Section 15)

SECTION 15
PLAYER’S MISCONDUCT
Definition of misconduct 1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he: (a) trips, kicks or strikes another player.(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly. (c) drops knees first on to an opponent who is on the ground (d) uses any dangerous throw when effecting a tackle. (e) deliberately and continuously breaks the Laws of the Game.(f) uses offensive or obscene language.(g) disputes a decision of the Referee or Touch Judge.(h) re-enters the field of play without the permission of the Referee or a Touch Judge having previously temporarily retired from the game. (i) behaves in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game. (j) deliberately obstructs an opponent who is not in possession. (k) uses a shoulder charge on an opponent (l) applies any unnecessary pressure or twists, including grapples, crushers or performs a “chicken wing” style hold on a player in possession.(m)forcefully spears at the legs of a player in possession, exposing him to unnecessary risk of injury

Nowhere does it say that a shoulder charge is only a punishable offence if it hits them in the head, just that using a shoulder charge is misconduct.. and direct physical contact is not permitted in that way. I may be mistaken but I have seen players suspended for shoulder charges without the contact to the head taking place.

And here a video explaining the definition and look of a shoulder charge.
http://www.nrl.com/laws-of-the-game-shoulder-charge/tabid/10874/newsid/71024/default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.