Early mail: Bulldogs vs Manly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR SS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
SEA EAGLES v BULLDOGS

8.05pm Friday at Brookvale Oval

Sea Eagles: Fullback Brett Stewart remains in significant doubt for Manly’s NRL season opener on Friday night due to a hamstring injury.

Stewart didn’t train with the Sea Eagles at their Narrabeen base on Monday morning, instead opting for treatment with the team physiotherapist and is at best a 50/50 proposition.

Recruit Apisai Koroisau is likely to play. He trained on Monday and shared the hooker duties with Matt Parcell.

Young gun Tom Trbojevic (leg) trained strongly on Monday and will play against the Bulldogs. Trbojevic will likely slot into fullback if Stewart is ruled out.

Bulldogs: Canterbury could be without star fullbackBrett Morris for the first month of the new season, opening the door for young flyer Brad Abbey.

Morris had a second round of knee surgery on Monday after being plagued by problems in the NRL pre-season.

Coach Des Hasler’s star recruit Will Hopoate is expected to fill in at fullback but it leaves a role in the backline vacant for Abbey.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is a bigger dud at this point: Brett Morris or Brett Stuart? Neither if them ever seem to play anymore.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who is a bigger dud at this point: Brett Morris or Brett Stuart? Neither if them ever seem to play anymore.
Atleast Manly have Tom Trbo in the wings i guess. Similar to Munster at the storm. When fit both Slater and Stewart are both great fullbacks and Munster/Trbo can slot into another postition without much effort and add to the side. When not fit then Muster and Trbo will step up.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think it's unlikely that Abbey will be given a run so early, Stanley and Phillips would have to be in front. But if Boris and Hoppa are out, I think Perret and Abbey could share FB and wing. Don't think we will know for sure until after the game on Friday.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I just hope Brett Morris doesn't loose speed when he comes back from his knee surgery.
His speed is his strongest part of his game.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Injuries happen, it's part of the sport.
Both have achieved everything in the game.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Injuries happen, it's part of the sport.
Both have achieved everything in the game.
Yeah I know, I meant "at this point" given we only bought Morris last year. It's getting frustrating and knowing Morris will come back a couple of weeks before origin, get picked, then miss more games for us with every possibility of another injury.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

And to the QLD bros: From my reading of the TV guide on ninemsn, we are getting the game live (well, that's my reading of it). Looks like the lead up stuff will be on Gem, then switches to main channel at 7pm.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would be good to see abbey, provided his body can stand up to it... Not too much risk putting him in early in the Comp to see how he goes, if he's not up to scratch, just give him the rest of the season in reggies.. But if he's up to it, will add a lot of spark!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I will be extremely surprised if Abbey plays.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a great feeling about this match ,going on what i saw at the trials..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im ok for Abbey to play, but not starting at FB this soon. Hardest defensive position in the side. He does look fit and not fragile though. Rotate him to FB when the side isnt under pressure in defense and give him a taste, but at centre hes safer in defense for now. Centres can switch with fullbacks. BMoz is a centre and also can play FB, but doesnt want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.