'Dying' Sharks donor arrested for fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
Police intend to lay fraud charges against a man who says he donated money to the Cronulla Sharks through former chief executive Tony Zappia.

The man, Clint Elford, was understood to have been arrested in Sydney today while he was being interviewed by Channel Seven.

The Sharks board is investigating its football club accounts following new allegations about how Mr Zappia handled money donated by Mr Elford, who is reportedly terminally ill.

The investigation was prompted by a Channel Seven report, which revealed a secret $30,000 fund, financed by donations from Mr Elford, who thought his money was going to the club.

But board members and club officials say they knew nothing about the donations nor the foundation through which they were channelled.

Today, eight police officers visited Mr Elford's Goulburn home to charge him with numerous counts of deception relating to fraud and dealing with proceeds of crime.
The Herald understands that the 27-year-old is known to police..

Police were seen to remove Sharks memorabilia from Mr Elford's home.

A member of the Goulburn community, who did not wish to be named, said Mr Elford was a "very quiet" man.

Channel Seven said Mr Elford's donations went to a foundation set up by Mr Zappia called Beyond Sharks Foundation Limited.

The foundation has no connections to the football club.

Mr Zappia has said the foundation's money was spent on team camps and football equipment.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/sharks-donor-raid/2009/06/16/1244918028565.html

i'm sure it's all terrible but fark me, this whole situation is hilarious. in what sport other than league would all this drama be happening constantly? i love it.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
lmfao sharks aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cronulla ahhhhhhhhh

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This guy is going to be terminally sore in jail.
Apparently the cops got hold of his doctors and they confirmed that they have not diagnosed him with any terminal illness.

This is a monumental fraud and the Sharks are an accessories

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOLOLOLOLOLAHAHAHAHAHHALOFORLFOLROFLROFLROFLRFOLRFO SHARKS!!!!!!! :roflol:

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
:roflol: this bloke is fullysic!!!

plz some1 go on the sharks forum and rip in :roflol:

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im a little dumb tbh.

Why is this guy being put up for fraud? Did he actually give the money, or just claimed he did so he would give it back? Why is he being charged, the article didn't make it very clear - what criminal fruad and dealings of crime, did he get the money illegally?

:o :o :o :o :o

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Im a little dumb tbh.

Why is this guy being put up for fraud? Did he actually give the money, or just claimed he did so he would give it back? Why is he being charged, the article didn't make it very clear - what criminal fruad and dealings of crime, did he get the money illegally?

He basically got the money illegally by lying (fraud) and has donated it (half a mils worth) to various charities and sporting organisations.

Lets call him Robin Hood V2 :p

Spot

Waterboy
Reaction score
Eight police officers? Must be a dangerous guy the fraudster.Half the Goulburn academy must have attended lol,

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
as kimlo said i don't think there's any suggestion (yet) that the donation to the sharks was dodgy or that zappia was involved in the fraud. still funny though.

i was beginning to wonder about the whole thing at the back of my mind once they reported that he was 12 months away from dying from shy-drager syndrome, which apparently is a variant of multiple system atrophy. i know someone who's in the terminal stages of MSA and she's bedridden and can barely move, so in retrospect it seems a bit obvious that he shouldn't have been able to do tv interviews and get photographed by DT paparazzi and whatever else.

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im a little dumb tbh.

Apparently he also forged numerous medical documents to commit insurance fraud.
Hes going behind bars for sure. Hes going to become someones ***** in there .

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He basically got the money illegally by lying (fraud) and has donated it (half a mils worth) to various charities and sporting organisations.

Lets call him Robin Hood V2 :p
Apparently he also forged numerous medical documents to commit insurance fraud.
Hes going behind bars for sure. Hes going to become someones ***** in there .
Ahhhhhhhhh ok, thanks, that explains it.

LOL what a douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.