Official DWZ, Crichton and Ferguson charged by match review committee

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was one of three people charged by the match review committee following Thursday night's start to the season.

Canterbury winger Christian Crichton (high tackle - careless) and Eels star Blake Ferguson (tripping) were also charged but their offences only attracted fines.

Watene-Zelezniak can avoid suspension with an early guilty plea after being handed a grade one dangerous contact charge for an incident involving Eels hooker Reed Mahoney in the 25th minute.

If Watene-Zelezniak challenges the charges and loses, he will miss Canterbury's round two clash with North Queensland.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...d-ferguson-charged-by-match-review-committee/

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The thing that ticks me off about all this is Chrictons offense was also penalised on the field. Fergusons wasn't, and it was at a critical stage of the game where a nice piggy back down the field could have resulted in our own lucky try.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad Napa escaped I’m not going to lie I wouldn’t have been that unhappy if Crichton got a week or two so Averillo could get a run.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
OK so that means likely same squad next week - DWZ takes an early plea and Crichton was only fined. Good for some consistency in the early rounds provided we can begin to attack more.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing that ticks me off about all this is Chrictons offense was also penalised on the field. Fergusons wasn't, and it was at a critical stage of the game where a nice piggy back down the field could have resulted in our own lucky try.
We got a penalty on the very next tackle anyway. I didn’t think it was a trip anyway and surprised he got charged I thought he had his hand on DWZ’s shoulder as he tripped him which means it’s ok.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We got a penalty on the very next tackle anyway. I didn’t think it was a trip anyway and surprised he got charged I thought he had his hand on DWZ’s shoulder as he tripped him which means it’s ok.

I mean sure his foot was there, but the footage shows that he lifted it as DWZ went by.. I understand the hand on player thing, but that's generally if you're involved in real tackle, such as what we used to see a lot from, from Beast

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Technically he had one hand touching the jersey. However when you watch what was really going on the hand was doing nothing to effect a tackle, the swinging leg that came in and chopped DWZ down did all the work. That's a trip my friend, couldn't believe the VidRef didn't pull it up on the spot and tell the refs to put Ferguson on report. You only needed to look at the dopes broken nose face to see he knew he'd gotten away with one.

From one point of view it is actually worse than some of the trips that have resulted in multiple game suspensions. Yeah they went in with feet only, but they didn't collect the opposing player anything near the level that Ferg did on DWZ last night.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Technically he had one hand touching the jersey. However when you watch what was really going on the hand was doing nothing to effect a tackle, the swinging leg that came in and chopped DWZ down did all the work. That's a trip my friend, couldn't believe the VidRef didn't pull it up on the spot and tell the refs to put Ferguson on report. You only needed to look at the dopes broken nose face to see he knew he'd gotten away with one.

From one point of view it is actually worse than some of the trips that have resulted in multiple game suspensions. Yeah they went in with feet only, but they didn't collect the opposing player anything near the level that Ferg did on DWZ last night.
That’s all he needs though? It doesn’t matter if it’s technical or not. Alfie Langer tackled like that his whole career. As soon as he touched him with his hand I knew it wasn’t going to be a penalty. Anyway we agree to disagree it looks like it’s the same at the NRL too with the refs thinking it’s ok then match review committee thinking it needs a charge.

Malla

Reaction score
They should ban Crichton for the season
Shit player

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't even see DWZ go on report!! What did he do?
I don't think he went on report and I don't remember seeing anything stand out while watching the game but he got charged with dangerous contact with the head or neck which is usually a crusher tackle.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was one of three people charged by the match review committee following Thursday night's start to the season.

Canterbury winger Christian Crichton (high tackle - careless) and Eels star Blake Ferguson (tripping) were also charged but their offences only attracted fines.

Watene-Zelezniak can avoid suspension with an early guilty plea after being handed a grade one dangerous contact charge for an incident involving Eels hooker Reed Mahoney in the 25th minute.

If Watene-Zelezniak challenges the charges and loses, he will miss Canterbury's round two clash with North Queensland.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...d-ferguson-charged-by-match-review-committee/
There was no penalty given to bulldogs from the trip by Ferguson.