DROP BEAR HAS LEFT THE BUILDING. - Drop Bear Tribute Thread

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
The family requested this news not be broadcast until they had contacted family overseas and around the country.

To all of the people that have been praying and sending their wishes, my family and I would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt thanks. It has been a really hard time for us all since Dad got sick, and unfortunately he lost his battle on 31st August 2016. Our family are both devastated and exhausted after giving Dad 24 hour care since his release from hospital last week. While we have attempted to contact as many people as we could directly, I realise that due to unforeseen events, that some of his friends and family have been made aware of his passing in a much less personal and callous way. I apologise to anyone who had to hear this news over facebook. It was not my intention, but this decision was taken out of my hands when people started to post facebook messages about what had happened. I have deleted and untagged as many posts as I can, but this is another strain that I feel should not be placed on my family or myself at this time. In order to prevent further distress, I have decided to post this tonight for anyone who is not yet aware. I don't believe that anyone meant any harm, it is just unfortunate that people did not wait long enough for us to contact everyone before expressing themselves on facebook. Please don't be offended if you have received this news over Facebook rather than a phone call. It was not intentional.
Dad's funeral details will be announced in the QT newspaper next week on Tuesday, or if you would rather, you can contact me by personal message if you wish to attend. Once again, my family extends their heartfelt thanks for all the prayers and support we have received to date. I know Dad also appreciated hearing the messages that were left for him by friends. He was a wonderful man to many, a devoted husband to his wife, a fun and lively Pop to his grandchildren, a loving father to myself and my siblings and a dependable and caring friend to so, so many people. He will be greatly missed.
From Holly Elliott.

Perhaps it is fitting that this news should reach you all on Jersey Day - the day when we recognise the importance of Organ Donation - the day when we remember the remarkable young 13 yo Nathan Gremmo whose donated organs went to six recipients who are alive today due to his commitment to other people and the courage of his parents to ensure his wishes were upheld.

Peter needed a Kidney transplant to survive, but unfortunately it was never to be.

Nathan Gremmo is known for one quote - which I feel was written for Peter as well.

“ YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, BUT IF YOU DO IT RIGHT ONCE IS ENOUGH”

Peter was a great advocate for Organ Donor Awareness and was the instigator of an effort to have one NRL round each year dedicated to Organ Donor Awareness

We will do everything in our power to finish his work and bring this dream to fruition.

In the meantime check out http://www.jerseyday.com.au/index.html and do whatever seems right to you.

mattressback

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The family requested this news not be broadcast until they had contacted family overseas and around the country.

To all of the people that have been praying and sending their wishes, my family and I would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt thanks. It has been a really hard time for us all since Dad got sick, and unfortunately he lost his battle on 31st August 2016. Our family are both devastated and exhausted after giving Dad 24 hour care since his release from hospital last week. While we have attempted to contact as many people as we could directly, I realise that due to unforeseen events, that some of his friends and family have been made aware of his passing in a much less personal and callous way. I apologise to anyone who had to hear this news over facebook. It was not my intention, but this decision was taken out of my hands when people started to post facebook messages about what had happened. I have deleted and untagged as many posts as I can, but this is another strain that I feel should not be placed on my family or myself at this time. In order to prevent further distress, I have decided to post this tonight for anyone who is not yet aware. I don't believe that anyone meant any harm, it is just unfortunate that people did not wait long enough for us to contact everyone before expressing themselves on facebook. Please don't be offended if you have received this news over Facebook rather than a phone call. It was not intentional.
Dad's funeral details will be announced in the QT newspaper next week on Tuesday, or if you would rather, you can contact me by personal message if you wish to attend. Once again, my family extends their heartfelt thanks for all the prayers and support we have received to date. I know Dad also appreciated hearing the messages that were left for him by friends. He was a wonderful man to many, a devoted husband to his wife, a fun and lively Pop to his grandchildren, a loving father to myself and my siblings and a dependable and caring friend to so, so many people. He will be greatly missed.
From Holly Elliott.

Perhaps it is fitting that this news should reach you all on Jersey Day - the day when we recognise the importance of Organ Donation - the day when we remember the remarkable young 13 yo Nathan Gremmo whose donated organs went to six recipients who are alive today due to his commitment to other people and the courage of his parents to ensure his wishes were upheld.

Peter needed a Kidney transplant to survive, but unfortunately it was never to be.

Nathan Gremmo is known for one quote - which I feel was written for Peter as well.

Peter was a great advocate for Organ Donor Awareness and was the instigator of an effort to have one NRL round each year dedicated to Organ Donor Awareness

We will do everything in our power to finish his work and bring this dream to fruition.

In the meantime check out http://www.jerseyday.com.au/index.html and do whatever seems right to you.
So sorry...

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont know what to say , such a shitty night just got worst, this is so sad

RIP Peter!

I will never forget your witty comments and sense of humour.

I wish for your sake you had live longer to see your beloved eels win a premiership with all the shit as an eels fan you have gone though years.

I will never forget your comment "What is NRL going to do, give us another spoon"

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried posting this earlier and think I stuffed it up.

From Holly Elliott.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am so sad about this news.

I only knew Peter from his posts & he was a lovely human being.

I will admit that I am crying about this news.

My condolences to his family & friends.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Drop Bear you were the only Parramatta supporter I liked Rest In Peace my friend :(

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dammit. So sorry to hear about this. We only knew him for a short while but he was a legend and had an impact on all of us. Our community will always remember him and we will pay tribute to him in the upcoming Eels Vs Bulldogs games.

It's so sad that things like this happen but it's even more important than ever to become an organ donor. I hate the new system the government has decided to use for organ donation, it took me weeks to re-register as an organ donor, but it's important.

As is blood donation. It may seem like nothing to us but giving blood occasionally and agreeing to organ donation are some of the biggest things you can ever do. We all have a short time on this rock and the most important thing we can do is give everything we have for others. We are the glue that keeps the world together. We are the force that keeps the world spinning.

Vale Drop Bear. You will live on in the hearts of all of us.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
RIP not much else we can say really... So very sorry to hear that news will be missed here on the kennel but I am sure even more so by those who knew him!! My condolensces

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Condolences to his family and friends. He might be gone but he will never be forgotten on the kennel. For an Eels fan to be loved on the Bulldogs forum he must have been a great man. All our love to his family.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sorry to hear my god tonight got even worse. RIP champ... Never actually replied to anything his written but I always read what he had to say. God bless you are in a better place.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread. Drop Bear will be missed greatly. We didn't know him that well but we knew him well enough to know that he would do anything for anyone.

And this is a very important reminder that if you haven't registered for organ donation, you need to do it ASAP.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/australian-organ-donor-register

We all like to think that we'll live forever, but if something does happen and we expire prematurely, it's good to know that in our deaths we'll be saving the lives of others. That's what organ donation is about.

A hero will throw themselves in front of a bus to save a child but what if that child has a heart condition or kidney failure. Signing up for organ donation could easily save many lives.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's devastating news. I don't know what to say.
My deepest condolences to the family.
He'll be greatly missed on here.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wow ... I didn't realise it was Jersey Day today. Talk about coincidence.

I actually have met the Gremmos on numerous occassions. Lovely bunch of blokes.

My heart goes out to Peters family. Almost every single one of us never knew him in real life, but his approach to life and words have touched many of us.

For someone in his position of health he was so kinda and friendly, and never once wanting to make it seem like he was complaining about his condition.

My signature tribute will stay for a while.. to a bloke who was a much valued member around here, regardless which side of the fence he was on.

Rest in Peace Peter.... we will all miss you greatly!!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I tried posting this earlier and think I stuffed it up.

From Holly Elliott.

This is such a devastating and distressing time for the family of Peter, our brother who fought such a brave and unrelenting battle against the odds. Unfortunately for him before he could receive the gift of a better life, his body cruelly and totally betrayed him.

I was privileged to be able to speak with Peter, text and message him on many occasions over the last months and I could not but help but be amazed by his tenaciousness in fighting an unrelenting battle against the terrible disease which took him from this world a few short days ago, and may I add, far too soon. I hope he thought of me as a friend, I certainly did of him, even though I had never met him face to face. From our conversations I learned many things; he was a selfless human being, a caring and loving husband and father, a true family man. He had a terrific sense of humour and a positive attitude even at the toughest times. He was a fighter, still planning for the future, uncertain as that may have been and of course he loved his Eels.

To his family, I can only offer my deepest and sincerest condolences and I hope that at least now, knowing Peter is resting easily and no longer in distress and pain, they can begin their healing process.

Although the news is sad, I would like to personally thank them for sharing it with us even though we are basically strangers to them. They obviously share the same trait of mutual respect shown to us by Peter in his time on the kennel.

For you Col, I know your pain too is immense. Peter was a cherished friend to you and I am sure he appreciated your support and care. Thank you for your respect and thoughtfulness to all on the Kennel.

Words matter little at times like these, in fact they offer not much more than cold comfort but it is all I have.

The heaven's opened today and poured down rain as if the world knew that he had left us. Rest well, rest comfortably Peter you are an inspiration and a champion for those who are waiting for a better life.You will be sadly missed. This world was a much richer place for you having been here and now we are all the poorer for your loss.

I am sure that in his understanding way he will know that the following quote is meant as a compliment:

Mark Twain — ‘It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Last edited:

Kaspa

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
RIP drop bear
Sad for the family to lose such a great person. My condolences to the family