Drew Hutchinson signing

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m having a go, and I don’t consider myself a dipshit. More so, a rusted on blue and white blooded fan for 45 years (my first memory of league being 1979).

I’ve been solid through so much. Losing 4 guns to Wests. Super League losing another 4 guns in 1 hit. Salary cap, Coffs harbour media beat up. Disruptive fans. Mason walk out then SBW walkout! Dessie leaving us with no juniors and over paid players. Now, this BS period of rubbish served upon shit.

I personally feel we are now buying TOO many vanilla players who havent nailed down a position in a starting 13. We are taking them all. They are players not good enough for week in week out starting in 1st grade quality teams.

I’m ok for 2, perhaps 3 at a stretch, but in “my” opinion (and I’ve followed long enough to feel I have a valid one) it’s way too many.

Yes, I know we can’t always get a Tino or a Haas, but I’d like to get at least ONE big signing forward. We have the ability with our management surely.

Howie, I rate your opinions very much, but I’m sorry, on this one I don’t quite agree. Just because some are getting a little worried with too much of that same utility type player (cover 1,6,7,9 and maybe 2nd row), doesn’t mean that opinion is rubbish. I want more signings of a quality starter who plays A position very well.
I shouldnt post after a few beers because I get a bit nasty.......

There is definitely an abnormal amount of utility signings. I sure hope there is a plan or otherwise we will have 4 starters and 13 bench utilities.

My point was more along the lines that the player market is pretty bare. Gus is going to have to entice someone to break a contract. I think it will happen but the landscape has changed a bit there. Look at the situation with the Dragons. They just said no to Ben Hunt.

I am pretty sure Gus will be in dialogue with the managers and there will hopefully be a few players who are deemed to be on overs at their club and therefore up for sale. This normally happens at the end of the year when the season reviews are done.

There will definitely be some player movement but its not as easy as identifying who we want and going for them when they are on contract (which I am sure you know). There has got to be something in it for the club letting him go.

I am referring to 2024 here. I think 2025 is a different story because more quality players are off contract then

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Getting a sneaky season that Burtons lackluster season this year has hurt him. Got a feeling Sexton and Hutch will be the halves next year, CC and Gus have said enough is enough.
At a minimum, it keeps Burto honest…. Having Hutchinson there with Sexy is good healthy competition, gives Ciro the option to find Burto a new home if 5/8 doesn’t cut it, but it’s a hard one to measure - with a dominant forward pack, halves benefit… our forward pack are the equivalent of NSW cup standard.

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
According to unconfirmed and confirmed signings. Not all top 30 though...
1. Crighton, Papali'i, Taffe
2,5. Addo Carr, Kiraz, Skelton, Wilson
3, 4. Crighton, Xerri, Kiraz, Pehram, Alamoti?
6. Burton, Salmon, KO, BBO, Rajab
7. Sexton, Taffe, BBO, Rajab, O'Neill
8. STT, King, Knight, Patolo, Hughes
9. Mahoney, Grey, BBO, Mann
11. Kikau, Preston, Waddell, Patolo
13. Edwards, Morrin, KO, Salmon, Mann

Weak forwards apart from second row, very weak in the halves, uncertainty around centres, reasonable wingers, uncertainty at full back, no depth at 9. 24 will be another long year.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Weak forwards apart from second row, very weak in the halves, uncertainty around centres, reasonable wingers, uncertainty at full back, no depth at 9. 24 will be another long year.
Spot on regarding our forward pack

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hutchison i see as ball playing 13.

The way the game has evolved i believe teams will increasingly only go with 4 genuine middles in their 17 and develop game plans that are more suited to increasingly more mobile, flexible forwards.

Back 5 are doing a lot of the work that middles did previously.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Taaffe & Hutchinson as spine players?

We go from having the worst spine in the NRL to the worst spine in the NRL.
good chance both won't even be in our 17

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hutchinson can play in multiple positions. Opportunity club - where is his best position though? I don't think he's coming to play in halves...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Taafe
2. Foxx
3. Burton
4. Crichton
5. Kebab
6. Hutchinson
7. Toby
8. Thompson
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Salmons
-
14 Mann/Turpin
15. SST
16. Sutton
17. Hughes
-
18 poasa
19 Xerri
20 Knight

That side just gave me a tingle. 2024 might just be the year after all. Especially if we can find a good sizable prop

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lot of people contemplating moving Burton to centre. That would be OK if we got a better 1/2, 5/8 combo.
I think Burton needs to concentrate on playing better football instead of just waiting for the final pass so he can kick.
He seems to have forgotten his running game. Saying that, he is a very talented player.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

Too many of you underestimate what a difference get the guys fitter will have on the whole squad. Might not win the comp, but you can be contending each week when your fitter, and that will win you the close games cause you can go that bit longer.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shouldnt post after a few beers because I get a bit nasty.......

There is definitely an abnormal amount of utility signings. I sure hope there is a plan or otherwise we will have 4 starters and 13 bench utilities.

My point was more along the lines that the player market is pretty bare. Gus is going to have to entice someone to break a contract. I think it will happen but the landscape has changed a bit there. Look at the situation with the Dragons. They just said no to Ben Hunt.

I am pretty sure Gus will be in dialogue with the managers and there will hopefully be a few players who are deemed to be on overs at their club and therefore up for sale. This normally happens at the end of the year when the season reviews are done.

There will definitely be some player movement but its not as easy as identifying who we want and going for them when they are on contract (which I am sure you know). There has got to be something in it for the club letting him go.

I am referring to 2024 here. I think 2025 is a different story because more quality players are off contract then
Yeah, I do agree on all that. Hands are tied, and I know you can’t just “get” anyone you want, a lot of luck is involved.

I’m just concerned about so, so many of these utility value players who aren’t locking down regular spots at their current clubs.

I’ll be having a few brews myself, might see you for some more abuse tonight hahahaha