Drew Hutchinson signing

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man going to be a lot of halves at the club next year. O'Neil, Rajab, BBO, Hutchinson, Mann, Salmon, KO, Burton and sexton. Surely O'Neil isn't top 30. Would have to be looking at moving on BBO.
Salmon is now a fully fledged lock/second rower (unless for an emergency reshuffle), Mann was a
fb/centre originally at Storm and somehow ended up a lock, bench 14…. He too would only come into the halves should there be a in-game reshuffle.

Hutchinson likely to come in for healthy competition in the halves with Sexy, he has an astute kicking & passing game, decent sized frame for a half and defensively sound - but fu<k he’s slow. Where it all ends up with Taaffe, Burton, Sexy and Hutchinson will broadly depend on what CC does with Crichton and Burton - does he see them as centres? Centre & 5/8? or FB and 5/8?

KO in my eyes will become a lock unless more experience and Potter’s replacement develops his game.

My take on Rajab, O’Neal and BBO is that Gus is rolling the dice with the hope one of the three emerge. On that note, I think 2-3 yrs from now, we may see an NRL spine of Papalii, KO and O’Neal + Reed - that seems to be the vision of the club given the decision to group three of them back into Flegg.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I. just saw highlights but KO seemed to possess a better passing game than anyone in CUP or NRL this year. Would love for him to build that combo with Oneal further before making him a lock.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh understand that, at least they are “footballers “
Give 100%
im just saying cant see us asa top8 threat unless some of the juniors jump out of the ground
Highly unlikely we will be a top eight team next year, 10-12 will be our max IMO, next year will be another junior development and recruiting year, anyone expecting we are going from 15th to the top eight from where our roster is now is in for another disappointment. I think we could push for the eight in 25, but that will only happen if we have stability in the club, if CC or Gus are ousted and we have to start this whole process again, I probably wont see the dogs win another premiership before I kick the bucket.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I. just saw highlights but KO seemed to possess a better passing game than anyone in CUP or NRL this year. Would love for him to build that combo with Oneal further before making him a lock.
I’m liking those two together, O’Neal getting better with each game, has a good energy about him and a natural competitor…. KO is a beast for a 18yo, hits like a truck and appears to have good strength with a nice draw-and-pass game. Hopefully the taste of NRL has motivated him… judging by his backstory, hard worker and committed to making it in the NRL - go well son!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hutcho has been bought to challenge for the #7

He can defs get a side around the park. Interesting if he puts pressure on Sexton
He can play lock and play first receiver regardless.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Salmon is now a fully fledged lock/second rower (unless for an emergency reshuffle), Mann was a
fb/centre originally at Storm and somehow ended up a lock, bench 14…. He too would only come into the halves should there be a in-game reshuffle.

Hutchinson likely to come in for healthy competition in the halves with Sexy, he has an astute kicking & passing game, decent sized frame for a half and defensively sound - but fu<k he’s slow. Where it all ends up with Taaffe, Burton, Sexy and Hutchinson will broadly depend on what CC does with Crichton and Burton - does he see them as centres? Centre & 5/8? or FB and 5/8?

KO in my eyes will become a lock unless more experience and Potter’s replacement develops his game.

My take on Rajab, O’Neal and BBO is that Gus is rolling the dice with the hope one of the three emerge. On that note, I think 2-3 yrs from now, we may see an NRL spine of Papalii, KO and O’Neal + Reed - that seems to be the vision of the club given the decision to group three of them back into Flegg.
I suspect Gus will try and play KO like Cam Murray. Skilful bigger body (than a traditional half) to give the halves more width and time, getting them 1:1 with edge defenders. If he continues to develop his passing game (and his running game already seems strong), plus put on more weight, I'd be delighted if he turned out like Cam Murray. He hits hard and could easily play middle in a few years

I'll be very surprised if CC drops Burton from 5/8. He's on record when he moved him to 7 about how important he is. Him going missing isn't about skills, it's about attitude. I was there at the cowwies and I could see him behind the play. He's not quiet nor lacking vision for the clutch play. I have no news, but I suspect being young, he's less than happy with those dragging the club through the mud. It reflects poorly on him, but his response to them seems to be he goes missing in games.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect Gus will try and play KO like Cam Murray. Skilful bigger body (than a traditional half) to give the halves more width and time, getting them 1:1 with edge defenders. If he continues to develop his passing game (and his running game already seems strong), plus put on more weight, I'd be delighted if he turned out like Cam Murray. He hits hard and could easily play middle in a few years

I'll be very surprised if CC drops Burton from 5/8. He's on record when he moved him to 7 about how important he is. Him going missing isn't about skills, it's about attitude. I was there at the cowwies and I could see him behind the play. He's not quiet nor lacking vision for the clutch play. I have no news, but I suspect being young, he's less than happy with those dragging the club through the mud. It reflects poorly on him, but his response to them seems to be he goes missing in games.
Disagree on Burton with regards to skills. He does goes missing which I agree is an attitude thing. He is lacking a huge skill set to be a half in the modern game. His creativity is solely for when he can see something he can do. He lacks vision of a playmaker in the sense of: if I do this… someone else will be able to make a break or create a play. His short kicking game is poor. His long kicking game is hit and miss. A couple of years bedding into a first grade centre and he could easily refine his skills to transition back to 5/8. But IMO he is a long way from being a quality 6.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Farewell and good luck in the SL Frank

Yet another failed Gus ‘ego’ signing. Proper due diligence wouldve clearly prevented this signing from happening

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Hutchinson likely to come in for healthy competition in the halves with Sexy, he has an astute kicking & passing game, decent sized frame for a half and defensively sound - but fu8? or FB and 5/8?

Yep agree. The move for Papalii, O’Neill and KO back to Flegg is clearly an attempt to build a Penrith model. A group of young kids who have played together 2-3 years, building their game & combos, arriving together, NRL ready.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like the signing, but Gould is clearly buying experienced, available, NRL footballers - underlining available.

These players may not set the world alight, but they are NRL battle hardened, they come from good systems, they’ll maintain and set new standards as well as teach our young blokes….

We won’t be able to see it now, but they’re influence over the next 2x seasons will help our rebuild and place us in good stead
You may be right but i don’t see any game turners , match winners in their recruitment. Did they also buy Kurt Mann ? They are all similiar types

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hutchison shits all over flanagan
There is not much he would have to do ,to over shadow Flanagan .

Now he’s no longer with the bulldogs , he was one of the worse recruits I’ve witnessed over the last few decades .
How on earth a coach would identify there was something that he could work with in Flanagan is beyond me .
He can thank daddy for extending his NRL career and he’s now a dragons issue .

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You may be right but i don’t see any game turners , match winners in their recruitment. Did they also buy Kurt Mann ? They are all similiar types
I think the recruiting strategy for 2024 is tactical with the objective being:
-Teach these young blokes how to be consistent in the NRL
-lead the way at training
-Add some experienced heads into a youthful group
-Add some depth
-Promote healthy competition

There’s no talent Available to try and win the competition in 2024, but if we reset attitudes, behaviours, compete for positions and have the ability to draw from NRL quality depth… we set ourselves up for 2025 where we should snare 2 marquees at a minimum.