Dragons run riot in Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The St George Illawarra Dragons followed a victory on the football field with a night of booze-fuelled partying at a Newcastle hotel on Friday, causing the club to go into damage control.

The 12th-placed Dragons, who defeated the Newcastle Knights 20-4 at Newcastle earlier that night, partied into the early hours of Saturday morning at the Crowne Plaza Newcastle, running through the halls and making loud noises.

One hotel guest on Friday emailed smh.com.au to complain about the boisterous footballers - who had already received a backhanded compliment from coach Nathan Brown earlier in the night, when he summed up the win on Friday night by saying "we were just dumb".

"I was kept up by the noise they made as they ran through the halls 'yahooing'," wrote the reader, who called himself 'Mik'.

"The next morning, on entering the foyer, I noticed they had smashed a large statue into a thousand pieces," he continued.

"Then, at the front desk, I witnessed them being rude to the staff who were trying to settle the account."

"I feel that the players involved should be ashamed of themselves and publicly apologise to the staff, management and guests that had to endure their woeful behaviour.

"It doesn't take much for the actions of a small group of idiots to tarnish the reputation of the entire NRL."

Management at the hotel refused to comment on the weekend's frivolities, with general manager, Noel McMahon, saying: "Whatever happened in the hotel happened in the hotel so we wouldn't comment."

However, the spokesman for the Dragons, David Spaul, confirmed club chief executive Peter Doust had spoken with a hotel manager over the incident.

Mr Spaul said it was not the team who had broken the statue in the lobby.

"I can guarantee that the statue was damaged by a third party," he said.

"They might've been a bit loud but nothing over the top, so to speak."

Mr Spaul said the club was not responsible for any damages at the hotel. "Not that we're aware of, no."

Mr Spaul could not confirm if the club would apologise to the hotel patrons who were kept up by the team's partying, saying he would have to speak to Mr Doust.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/dra...ot-in-newcastle/2007/08/06/1186252590067.html

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
TERROR IN THE HOTEL

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a nothing incident really.

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
lol desperate for a story this journalist was found wanting

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

looks like our footballers have to go and get a real job again. this is all garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.