News Dragons pair facing suspensions

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Dragons winger Pereira facing long ban for Tedesco shot

St George Illawarra wingers Jordan Pereira and Mikaele Ravalawa are facing significant bans after the NRL match review committee hit the pair with charges after the Anzac Day humbling against the Roosters.

Pereira could be on the sidelines for five matches if he unsuccessfully fights a grade three careless high tackle charge which felled Roosters fullback James Tedesco.

Pereira, in his first NRL game of the year, was sent to the sin bin for the tackle, which saw Tedesco ruled out of the game after he failed his head injury assessment.

Pereira will miss three matches if the Dragons enter an early guilty plea.

Ravalawa is staring at a maximum three-game ban after being hit with a grade two shoulder charge for a contentious hit on Josh Morris, which led to a penalty and the Roosters' first try in the 34-10 result at the SCG. He will miss only two games if he lodges an early guilty plea.

Pereira and Ravalawa were two of three St George Illawarra players placed on report in the first half alone, with Tyrell Fuimaono able to accept a $1350 fine with an early guilty plea for a second-minute high tackle on Tedesco.

The incidents came after a contentious weekend for the match review committee, which saw Siosifa Talakai stung with the highest grade possible for a shoulder charge after a huge hit on Bulldogs young gun Matt Doorey.

Talakai will be suspended for four matches with an early guilty plea or face six matches if he unsuccessfully fights the charge at the judiciary.

The Sharks back-rower was sent to the sin bin allowing the Bulldogs to activate the 18th man for the first time in NRL history, a situation which repeated on Anzac Day when Tedesco was ruled out of the game.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson argued the Dragons gained an advantage out of Tedesco being sidelined for more than half the match despite Pereira's sin binning, urging on-field referees to be the arbiter of sanctions for foul play rather than the judiciary.

"I think this year [the referees] have done quite well," Robinson said. "We don't need the judiciary to teach [players] lessons, we need them on the field. It's right there and then the punishment happens.

"So mothers and parents and that at home understand that the punishment happens right then and there.

"We have to make sure we protect the brutality that our game is played with and why people watch but they need to get their lessons on field. That is when we will get our real lessons and that is when we will get people knowing we are serious about it."

The charges came as NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo issued a strong defence of the NRL judiciary, following recent criticism.

The judiciary came under scrutiny last week following the four-week suspension of Souths star Latrell Mitchell, with critics saying the outcomes were inconsistent and that judicial panel members were being disrespectful by attending the hearings via Zoom, and not in person.

"The judiciary panel operates in a challenging environment and its members are tasked with making difficult decisions, requiring independent thought and unique insight which comes through playing the game at the highest level," Abdo said in a statement.

"There are currently five judiciary panel members who have played almost 1000 premiership games collectively and won grand finals, State of Origin series and Test matches. Their knowledge and understanding of rugby league is unquestionable.

"The judiciary panel are independent of the NRL or any club. Our panellists are meticulous in their consideration of evidence and unquestionably independent in the way they deliberate. Aside from decorated rugby league careers our panellists are also successful in their chosen fields.

"There will always be varying public views about every judiciary decision, just as the facts of every judiciary matter are unique, but there is no place for anyone to question the independence of the panel.

"The game is very fortunate to have a judiciary which is chaired by Supreme Court Justice Geoffrey Bellew. Justice Bellew's services are an asset to our game. His summary of evidence and directions to the panel are again independent and mirror the process of a courtroom.

"Just as the court system issues harsher penalties to citizens with prior offences, our judiciary system also issues harsher penalties to players with prior offences and carry over points. This acts as a deterrent to foul play which assists in keeping players safe. It also recognises and incentivises those players who maintain an otherwise clean record of play.

"The NRL judiciary system, as is the case with all processes and systems within the game, will be reviewed during the year. As always, the review will be considered by the Australian Rugby League Commission who will determine what changes may be required taking into account all views."

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't see the Ravalawa infraction but I saw the Pereira one. It seems to me that Tedesco dropped about a foot in a split second which to me means it was an accident. I think the NRL have forgotten that accidents happen. What was Pereira supposed to do?

There are precedents for this in the NRL where the player has been let off because of a falling player.

Footnote: NRL please note: It was very hard to find the article about Ryan online. This is why we still need a rugby league magazine so we don't have to rely on fans' memories after the important article is removed from the internet.

PS I only did examples of Bulldogs players because I have records of them & not others.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Trent Robinson calls for clarity over send-offs after James Tedesco knocked out of Anzac Day game

Trent Robinson has declared the NRL's on-field punishments for foul play still require work after Dragons winger Jordan Pereira avoided a send-off for a high tackle that ended James Tedesco's Anzac Day.

Pereira clipped Tedesco across the chin with his arm and was sent to the sin-bin by referee Ashley Klein late in the first half, while the Roosters captain failed his HIA and could not return to the field.

The incident saw the Roosters activate their 18th man substitution with Matt Ikavalu coming on to replace Tedesco as the Roosters marched to a brave 34-10 win without their skipper.

Last week Klein sent off Bulldogs prop Jack Hetherington for a coat hanger tackle on Valentine Holmes that didn't injure the Cowboys fullback.
The ruling on sin-bins and send-offs has created some conjecture over the past fortnight as the NRL cracks down on foul play in its attempt to better protect players from concussion.

Adding to the confusion over Pereira's binning was that Ben Marschke copped the same punishment early in the second half for interrupting Jack Bird's run back to the 20 metre line for a set restart.

Speaking after the 24-point victory over the Dragons, Robinson said the disparity in punishments on-field was adding to the confusion.
“I think we’re somewhere between where we have always been and where rugby union is at,” Robinson said.
“That is where I think we are at. You saw what Ben did to get 10 in the bin and what Pereira did. They are completely different parts of the game.
“We don’t need the judiciary to teach them lessons, we need the on-field refs so mothers and parents at home understand that the punishment happens then and there, not on a Tuesday night (at the judiciary).

“They don’t watch Tuesday night, they watch in that game. So we have to make sure we protect the brutality our game is played with and why people watch, but they need to get their lessons on field about how to get down, how to get lower, get your tackle tech in a better position.
“If you can take Tedesco out and have someone else with 10 minutes in the bin I know what I would choose. I’d rather Tedesco not play.
“I’m not saying he meant to do that, but I’m saying who got punished more?”

Robinson made it clear that he didn't think the solution was more send-offs, however believes punishments on field will send a clearer message regarding the different types of foul play.

"I don't want anybody that gets hit head high to go off the field," he said.

"I'm not where rugby union is ... where people are just getting yellow and red cards for silly reasons.

"But I also don't think it's up to Tuesday night (at the NRL judiciary) to decide when players are in or out.

"If we can do it on-field better, and through the bunker better, then we can make a statement about 'improve your technique'.

"Players don't want to let other players down.

"So we have to do a bit more than what we're doing in-game, without over-reacting."

Pereira's high hit is likely to land the Dragons winger, who was returning to the first-grade side, in some trouble with the judiciary.
While Robinson declared Tedesco could still line up on Saturday against Newcastle, despite the Pereira knock and another earlier in the game from Tyrell Fuimaono that was placed on report.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Trent Robinson calls for clarity over send-offs after James Tedesco knocked out of Anzac Day game

Trent Robinson has declared the NRL's on-field punishments for foul play still require work after Dragons winger Jordan Pereira avoided a send-off for a high tackle that ended James Tedesco's Anzac Day.

Pereira clipped Tedesco across the chin with his arm and was sent to the sin-bin by referee Ashley Klein late in the first half, while the Roosters captain failed his HIA and could not return to the field.

The incident saw the Roosters activate their 18th man substitution with Matt Ikavalu coming on to replace Tedesco as the Roosters marched to a brave 34-10 win without their skipper.

Last week Klein sent off Bulldogs prop Jack Hetherington for a coat hanger tackle on Valentine Holmes that didn't injure the Cowboys fullback.
The ruling on sin-bins and send-offs has created some conjecture over the past fortnight as the NRL cracks down on foul play in its attempt to better protect players from concussion.

Adding to the confusion over Pereira's binning was that Ben Marschke copped the same punishment early in the second half for interrupting Jack Bird's run back to the 20 metre line for a set restart.

Speaking after the 24-point victory over the Dragons, Robinson said the disparity in punishments on-field was adding to the confusion.
“I think we’re somewhere between where we have always been and where rugby union is at,” Robinson said.
“That is where I think we are at. You saw what Ben did to get 10 in the bin and what Pereira did. They are completely different parts of the game.
“We don’t need the judiciary to teach them lessons, we need the on-field refs so mothers and parents at home understand that the punishment happens then and there, not on a Tuesday night (at the judiciary).

“They don’t watch Tuesday night, they watch in that game. So we have to make sure we protect the brutality our game is played with and why people watch, but they need to get their lessons on field about how to get down, how to get lower, get your tackle tech in a better position.
“If you can take Tedesco out and have someone else with 10 minutes in the bin I know what I would choose. I’d rather Tedesco not play.

Robinson made it clear that he didn't think the solution was more send-offs, however believes punishments on field will send a clearer message regarding the different types of foul play.

"I'm not where rugby union is ... where people are just getting yellow and red cards for silly reasons.

"But I also don't think it's up to Tuesday night (at the NRL judiciary) to decide when players are in or out.

"If we can do it on-field better, and through the bunker better, then we can make a statement about 'improve your technique'.

"So we have to do a bit more than what we're doing in-game, without over-reacting."

Pereira's high hit is likely to land the Dragons winger, who was returning to the first-grade side, in some trouble with the judiciary.
While Robinson declared Tedesco could still line up on Saturday against Newcastle, despite the Pereira knock and another earlier in the game from Tyrell Fuimaono that was placed on report.
Same referee that sent Hetherington off. Both were accidents & yet different results. Was Klein secretly told he made a mistake or was it because of who the player was?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

Fuck Robinson. Haven't seen him speak in regards to this after any of the other similar incidents this season. Tedesco deserves to have those false teeth pressure-tested every now and again.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I didn't see the Ravalawa infraction but I saw the Pereira one. It seems to me that Tedesco dropped about a foot in a split second which to me means it was an accident. I think the NRL have forgotten that accidents happen. What was Pereira supposed to do?

There are precedents for this in the NRL where the player has been let off because of a falling player.
It's barely a week I complained about Tedesco:

Fucking Tedesco is a nightmare for a tall forward to tackle. Might as well make him untouchable, because there's nearly one a game with him, at 45 degrees with the defender having no chance to readjust. Another one this week too.
Not saying the defender should be allowed free reign. But a send off should be for a heinous or highly reckless attempt. I don't understand how any dogs supporter could see that as highly reckless.
This is dimwitted NRL dogma at play. They've been beating up that the referees have shyed away from going nuclear. So dumbcunt Klein of course decided he'll be the hero
Never claiming that there should be open slather on Tedesco... but the number of "falling" incidents involving him receiving head contact is extraordinary and should be at least discussed. I suspect Tedesco himself understands that his hard playing style does leave him more vulnerable to these head high tackles. It's ok... but let's not vilify the rest of the NRL for his calculated risks.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Oh well at least they won’t be playing when we play them.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tabasco had it coming.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's barely a week I complained about Tedesco:

Never claiming that there should be open slather on Tedesco... but the number of "falling" incidents involving him receiving head contact is extraordinary and should be at least discussed. I suspect Tedesco himself understands that his hard playing style does leave him more vulnerable to these head high tackles. It's ok... but let's not vilify the rest of the NRL for his calculated risks.
He has had to adjust his running style bc of his back? problems: now its time to adjust his tackle contact problems bc yes he does crouch down/slip over a high % of the time preparing to take tackles.

Whats the tackler supposed to do in contact with the games supposedly best and most elusive player?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Pereira head high is a send off offence plain and simple. Klein farked up, whether he got gun shy because of Hetherington or he was told to tone it down, he deserved to be sent off. And Robbo has a point in that who loses out more in that situation, we lose our best player for 45 mins, they lose a player for 10 mins.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Pereira head high is a send off offence plain and simple. Klein farked up, whether he got gun shy because of Hetherington or he was told to tone it down, he deserved to be sent off. And Robbo has a point in that who loses out more in that situation, we lose our best player for 45 mins, they lose a player for 10 mins.
Disagree. Sinbin was right. The "no excuses" argument is too reductive. Look at how Tedesco slips and absolutely plummets. It's a sinbin for just the circumstance of it. I agree with taking the intention out to judge that.

But god dammit, if that's a send off, then Heathrington's is definitely one. And it's not. Neither are...

Tedesco should be protected... But whatever it is, as @wendog33 writes astutely, maybe because of his back he has an awkward running style, he is more prone to slips and mishaps. He's a great player, not suggesting he needs to change anything or he's gaining an unfair advantage... But he's involved in so many slipping or low off the ground high contact. Almost weekly at this stage

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He can be a pompous ass, but Gould is right on this one:

as Joe Rogan says (and he likely got it from someone else) " you can't nerf the world".

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree. Sinbin was right. The "no excuses" argument is too reductive. Look at how Tedesco slips and absolutely plummets. It's a sinbin for just the circumstance of it. I agree with taking the intention out to judge that.

But god dammit, if that's a send off, then Heathrington's is definitely one. And it's not. Neither are...

Tedesco should be protected... But whatever it is, as @wendog33 writes astutely, maybe because of his back he has an awkward running style, he is more prone to slips and mishaps. He's a great player, not suggesting he needs to change anything or he's gaining an unfair advantage... But he's involved in so many slipping or low off the ground high contact. Almost weekly at this stage
Both were swinging arms that contacted the head therefore both were send off offences imo. And in regards to the Tedesco and his running style, Pereia hit him flush on the face so even if Teddy was completely upright he still would have been hit high. And it has always been incumbent on the tackler to ensure he does not hit the head. Look at the Marschke tackle on Mcquire, Mcquire slipped and fell into Marschke's hand but he still go penalised for contact with the head.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Both were swinging arms that contacted the head therefore both were send off offences imo. And in regards to the Tedesco and his running style, Pereia hit him flush on the face so even if Teddy was completely upright he still would have been hit high. And it has always been incumbent on the tackler to ensure he does not hit the head. Look at the Marschke tackle on Mcquire, Mcquire slipped and fell into Marschke's hand but he still go penalised for contact with the head.
The problem is in many instances it can be almost impossible to prove intent when the charge is "deliberate". I think we all would agree that Pereira's tackle showed no intent and hence couldn't realistically be classed as deliberate. The next step down charge is "reckless" but that indicates a strong level of carelessness. Personally I don't see anything remotely resembling carelessness on Pereira's behalf. It looked to me like a perfectly judged tackle aimed at the chest at normal (standing upright) height. For sure we want to get head contact out of the game, but there should be some recognition of "accidental high contact", of course it's still high contact and there should be some punishment for it. But grading it the same as reckless is simply a poor charge forcing a guilty result as there is no alternative. That charge should relate to when a tackler flings their arm out in the path of a fully upright player, with no other associated incidents.

The above aside, in the law there is always the concept of "contributory negligence", where the offended (sic) person contributes in some way to the incident. Personally I am totally over players being charged with offences when the opposition player unpredictably falls over or deliberate ducks at the last instance. My view is they "contributed" to the incident, in simple terms if they hadn't fallen over (or ducked) then the tackle would have been totally legal. No absolution of care on behalf of the offender, but at least a recognition that it wasn't entirely his fault.

In summary, the possibility of accidental contact by the offending player should be recognised, plus if there is a contribution to the incident by the offended player that should also be recognised.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is in many instances it can be almost impossible to prove intent when the charge is "deliberate". I think we all would agree that Pereira's tackle showed no intent and hence couldn't realistically be classed as deliberate. The next step down charge is "reckless" but that indicates a strong level of carelessness. Personally I don't see anything remotely resembling carelessness on Pereira's behalf. It looked to me like a perfectly judged tackle aimed at the chest at normal (standing upright) height.
Go back and look at the tackle again, Pereira is not even looking at Teddy when he makes contact. He turned away and so he had no idea how high he was going to hit Teddy, that is at the very least careless.

For sure we want to get head contact out of the game, but there should be some recognition of "accidental high contact", of course it's still high contact and there should be some punishment for it. But grading it the same as reckless is simply a poor charge forcing a guilty result as there is no alternative. That charge should relate to when a tackler flings their arm out in the path of a fully upright player, with no other associated incidents.

The above aside, in the law there is always the concept of "contributory negligence", where the offended (sic) person contributes in some way to the incident. Personally I am totally over players being charged with offences when the opposition player unpredictably falls over or deliberate ducks at the last instance. My view is they "contributed" to the incident, in simple terms if they hadn't fallen over (or ducked) then the tackle would have been totally legal. No absolution of care on behalf of the offender, but at least a recognition that it wasn't entirely his fault.

In summary, the possibility of accidental contact by the offending player should be recognised, plus if there is a contribution to the incident by the offended player that should also be recognised.

Go Dogs
Greg Ingliss was notorious for diving towards the ground as a tackle was being complete, but that never stopped his tacklers being charged for putting him into a dangerous position even though he contributed. The rule is clear in that is incumbent upon the tackler to ensure they do not put the ball carrier into a dangerous position or contact the the head. Pereira was negligent in that regard and so got charged.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Go back and look at the tackle again, Pereira is not even looking at Teddy when he makes contact. He turned away and so he had no idea how high he was going to hit Teddy, that is at the very least careless.
I don't agree, I don't need to be facing someone to see them, us humans have ~120 degrees of vision and it was well within that. Plus he knows exactly how tall he is, he knows pretty much how tall Tedesco is, in addition to that judgement the tackle height is instinctive.

Greg Ingliss was notorious for diving towards the ground as a tackle was being complete, but that never stopped his tacklers being charged for putting him into a dangerous position even though he contributed. The rule is clear in that is incumbent upon the tackler to ensure they do not put the ball carrier into a dangerous position or contact the the head. Pereira was negligent in that regard and so got charged.
Exactly my point, there are occasions when the ball carrier is the one who causes the illegal contact and/or contributes to it, and that should be recognised. I just can't see how it is incumbent on the tackler to anticipate, in a split second, something that is unpredictable. There is nothing "reckless" (what the NRL charge was) when the incident would not have happened in 99.9% of similar situations.

There should be some allowance for the contribution of the offended in the incident because it can't always be blamed 100% on the offender.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree, I don't need to be facing someone to see them, us humans have ~120 degrees of vision and it was well within that. Plus he knows exactly how tall he is, he knows pretty much how tall Tedesco is, in addition to that judgement the tackle height is instinctive.
There is no way Pereira can see Teddy prior to the actual hit. He has turned his head to the side and has lost sight of his target and that is careless.

1619656467944.png

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice choice of frame, lets go back 1/10th of a second;

1619657119455.png

I don't know about you but I was taught to not go face first into a tackle, in this case if he had then he would have quite likely coped a right shoulder on the chin. Nothing careless about getting your head out of the contact zone.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at his head to his torso in your frame, Peraira is already turning his head to the side and has his eyes closed. It's clearly a careless tackle.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Look at his head to his torso in your frame, Peraira is already turning his head to the side and has his eyes closed. It's clearly a careless tackle.
He is turning his head for the same reason I would, to get it out of the contact zone for Tedesco's right shoulder. He taking care of himself, that's not being "careless".

Which is where I will stop on this subject, I have nothing invested in this, there's no Bulldogs players involved. If it was a Bulldogs player I'd be demanding that Tedesco be suspended he's the one who fell over being careless ;)

Go Dogs