Dragons fans turn on players after ugly loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Let's see if there is more said about this or not.

In the press conference Brent Read asks Pay about the incident.

"Do you get disappointed when you see, I don't know if you saw what happened but the supporters turned on the players and were abusing them and someone threw a scarf at James Graham."

.. If it was us .. front page of all papers tomorrow.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have all their points stripped and get the spoon for that...

That would happen if it was us.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

"Do you get disappointed when you see, I don't know if you saw what happened but the supporters turned on the players and were abusing them and someone threw a scarf at James Graham."

Pretty sad state of affairs but then I don't expect any less of St George fans. The crowd , well the Dragons side of it, pretty much cleared out with about 15 to go.It was unbelievable the way that they reacted at half time.......it was after all only 18 nil and still forty to go but they reacted like it was full time with no chance at all to win the game.Nothing like giving your team some support......not.

I guess frustration has got the better of them ;well I know that I would be disappointed to see my side heading the exact same way that they had been for the past few years but to throw a scarf at James Graham as if blaming him for their woes. Their problems have been endemic for years now so why not look at the coach and the senior players who have been there for longer. Honestly they need to learn that leading the competition after eight rounds means nothing if they can't complete their assignment by winning a greater proportion of their later season games.

By all means be disappointed but don't become personal.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty sad state of affairs but then I don't expect any less of St George fans. The crowd , well the Dragons side of it, pretty much cleared out with about 15 to go.It was unbelievable the way that they reacted at half time.......it was after all only 18 nil and still forty to go but they reacted like it was full time with no chance at all to win the game.Nothing like giving your team some support......not.

I guess frustration has got the better of them ;well I know that I would be disappointed to see my side heading the exact same way that they had been for the past few years but to throw a scarf at James Graham as if blaming him for their woes. Their problems have been endemic for years now so why not look at the coach and the senior players who have been there for longer. Honestly they need to learn that leading the competition after eight rounds means nothing if they can't complete their assignment by winning a greater proportion of their later season games.

By all means be disappointed but don't become personal.
Graham was still trying his guys out till the end. He was the last man chasing on the try before Ogden's. He doesn't deserve the flak. But he copped some hammering on here late in his tenure too. But generally it was just venting on here rather than nasty incidents at the game.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want a laugh head over to the Dragons forum.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They deserved it to be honest.. I was confident in a win, but with the Lance Thompson tribute I thought the Dragons would rise to the occasion. We were great don't get me wrong, but they were pathetic

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't the fans turn on them last season as well? Continually booed them at games.

Seen a bloke on Facebook post a video of him burning his Jersey after yesterday's game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
NRL.COM reporting on it.... (paraphrased article and removed guff)

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/27...gons-fans-the-games-biggest-crisis-merchants/
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Mon 27 Aug 2018, 12:01 PM

It's hard to recall a season when Dragons fans have ever really been satisfied but the ugly scenes at Jubilee Oval after Sunday's 38-0 loss to Canterbury as so-called supporters gathered around the tunnel to target players was one of the all-time lows at a venue that's had more than its share of drama over the years.

The abuse, which was so venomous police felt the need to intervene.

Incoming CEO Brian Johnston, received a taste of what he can expect at Sunday's match, while fans in the grandstand let coach Paul McGregor know how they felt about his team's performance.

Most people in those roles accept that goes with the job but it's almost unprecedented for supporters to turn on their own players the way that some Dragons fans did after Sunday's loss, which ended their top-four hopes just one week before the finals. At least eight other groups of supporters wish their team had been in the same position, let alone having sat at the top of the Telstra Premiership ladder until round 16 and been in the top four after 22 of the 24 rounds so far.

James Graham had a Dragons scarf angrily thrown at him, while star playmaker Ben Hunt was another target but all of the players copped it.

Some wanted to respond directly to the fans who were hurling the expletive-laden insults but they were warned not to as no amount of reasoning was likely to calm their fury.

What those responsible for the vitriol may not have realised is that some of the players' families, including children, were waiting inside the tunnel for them to come from the field after presentations to Jason Nightingale and the daughter of Lance Thompson, who sadly passed away last week. Members of St George Illawarra's Holden NRL Women's Premiership team were also in the tunnel after having been introduced to the crowd before the game and some players were in shock at the treatment dished out to their male counterparts.

And that's what made the hostile reaction to a loss made worse by a mounting injury toll so shocking.

Parramatta and North Queensland were widely tipped as premiership contenders before the start of the season but their fans haven't reacted the same way towards players who were effectively involved in a wooden spoon battle last Friday night.

The Bulldogs are another club with a passionate supporter base who have high expectations for their team every season but even when they were trailing 22-0 in the first half of the round 15 match at Belmore Oval against Gold Coast their fans didn't boo the players.

In contrast, many of the fans who turned on the Dragons players were writing off the team's chances at the start of the season but after riding the wave of success they now feel let down. History would suggest they are the game's perennial "crisis merchants".

Nobody has access to Jubilee Avenue (I think it's called), unless you have a club membership.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It is funny reading the game thread, they were so optimistic before the game then it just descends into total anarchy with them calling for the head of almost every single player and most of all, the coach.

I would be pretty furious too if I was a Dragons fan, they have no excuse for being so bad, in fact they were the form team for a lot of this season. At least we have the salary cap debacle to blame for our crap year.

The Dragons will just be making up the numbers in the finals, along with the Panthers.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Oh yeah if that was the bulldogs, Rupert Murdoch's news corp publications would have turned that supporter into an muslim immigrant and that scarf into a bomb.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This makes me laugh because I am pretty certain that Daniel Lowe is a guy I used to knows (a bulldogs fan) cousin.

If it is him he is a copper, and he threatened to kill me because I used to troll him on facebook about the dragons. The guy is mentally unhinged. He blocked me though so I can't find his profile lol.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i mean it's not like this place is all roses and sunshine after a loss

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
i mean it's not like this place is all roses and sunshine after a loss
Yeah but we don't throw merch at our players, nor would we if we were confirmed as finals bound.

This is akin to abusing players in round 1 for a shit performance, yet winning the premiership.

Dragons fans should be used to it by now.

Malla

Reaction score
Mary is a shit coach. I hate Dugan but he was the scapegoat last season. Why the fuck would you drop Dufty and not Hunt before this game like Dufty is why your team is shit? Oh well.

Maguire will be dragons coach next year.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's the footage and where are the pictures of these supporters hurling abuse and throwing obstacles?

Why isn't this splashed all over the media?

Yeh that's right, it's not the Bulldogs. Journalism at its best.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres something written about this on foxsports today

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
haha can't wait to hear Ennis' take on the Dragons.

Andrew Johns' commentary on Ben Hunt was gold

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Graham was still trying his guys out till the end. He was the last man chasing on the try before Ogden's. He doesn't deserve the flak. But he copped some hammering on here late in his tenure too. But generally it was just venting on here rather than nasty incidents at the game.
True. I read on another thread that he had a go at a camera man in defence of Nightingale when he was injured. Not the smartest thing to do but just the way he is. Very much a heart on his sleeve type of guy.Shows that he is invested in whatever side he plays for..

Status
Not open for further replies.