Dragons and Dogs in, Roosters out of Addin Fonua-Blake race amid new Warriors clause

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think Ricky would be more likely to approach the Storm than comes to us. He has a very strong friendship with Bellamy and you'd think they could work together to find a satisfactory outcome for both clubs even if it were a loan deal similar to the Harry Grant - Wests deal a couple of years ago.

Jonah Pezet is one of the best halves in waiting in the competition and will be restricted to a handful of games this year during State of Origin unless injuries play a part. The Storm would get value out of loaning him to Canberra and giving him more first grade exposure especially if they'd get a promising middle such as Mariota or Mooney that they need. The Raiders would get a good young half whilst buying themselves a little time to find a new one and have enough strong middles to cover the short term absence in Papali'i, Tapine, Horsburgh, Guler, Hola and either Mariota or Mooney.

Another option that Ricky has explored before is English Superleague. Lewis Dodd from St. Helens signed up with an Australian agent earlier in the year and that seems an odd move unless he had a real interest in playing NRL. He has a lot of talent and is a typical tough English halfback. He had a quiet 2023 but he carried a very bad shoulder injury throughout the year and played in almost every game. He is signed until the end of 2024 but I think Ricky could negotiate to get him a season earlier.

I don't think we have anyone that would appeal to the Raiders... as much as I'd love to see either Mariota or Mooney in the blue and white.
I don’t think we had any appeal that is why I asked who he thought we would have to offer. Gus n Ricky have a good relationship, remember Gus gave him his 1st gig and won a premiership together there. As for pezet I would think he is the backup 7 now and losing your next in line wouldn’t be a smart play. A trade would be our last chance to gain a middle.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Ricky would just try get Ethan Sanders off Eels earlier. Been talk about Raiders signing him for a while.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
BBO would be more realistic and can do with a bit more footy .He is a more realistic to get a taste of 1st grade .
Exactly. I had a look through all the squads. No team is going to allow their next in line half go on a swap deal or even a loan. You would need at least 4 to cover your season. That leaves from my memory only Bulldogs and NZ. In my opinion Sticky needs 2 more halves to get him thru an injury crisis.
Other then NRL Lewis Dodd or maybe a Cade Cust could be an option.

Someone on here the other day mentioned Trey Mooney and did get me thinking over the past few days how we could get him. The reality is regardless of whether Sticky allowed him an early release or not he won't be at the Raiders 2025. Josh Pappali is just asking for a contract extension and they have just added Morgan Smithies and Zac Hosking for 2025.
Trey Mooney isn't going to sit back for another 3 or 4 years waiting for his opportunity.

Gus's pitch is: there isn't any decent experienced halves available. BBO has 2 years experience but just needs an opportunity. He is quick and would be a good addition to a team with a decent forward pack so he can learn his trade.

Well that's my take. But Sticky has to move quick because he has no one else.
His other option IMO is Dylan Walker. I believe Warriors could afford to lose him with the squad they currently have.

Does anyone know if Sticky has a relationship with Andrew Webster?

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ricky would just try get Ethan Sanders off Eels earlier. Been talk about Raiders signing him for a while.
He already signed. He is their rookie.
Canberra's halves are currently Fogarty and strange and no one else in their top 30.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Canberra's halves are currently Fogarty and strange and no one else in their top 30.
As @TwinTurbo has said though top 30 isn't really a restrictive thing now. Hopefully we can snare a trade but.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also keao weeks from manly as well he in there top 30 he been training in the half's for them

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
They also keao weeks from manly as well he in there top 30 he been training in the half's for them
Don’t rate weeks at all had a chance with Manly to really cement a spot with their injuries and didn’t. Strange on the other hand is a gun tore us up in cup last year. I think BBOs bad return from injury could hurt us on the trade front. If he gets significant game time in the trials we will know a trade is on. I reckon he could be a really good 14 for them.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don’t rate weeks at all had a chance with Manly to really cement a spot with their injuries and didn’t. Strange on the other hand is a gun tore us up in cup last year. I think BBOs bad return from injury could hurt us on the trade front. If he gets significant game time in the trials we will know a trade is on. I reckon he could be a really good 14 for them.
And how well Gus can sell BBO to Ricky. He is very good at selling a message.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kaeo Weekes will most likely start round 1 at 6.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
A lot saying with mooney. Are we even linked? Has anyone said this? Or just our wishful thinking?

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
A lot saying with mooney. Are we even linked? Has anyone said this? Or just our wishful thinking?
Just wishful thinking Canberra have depth where we are weak, we have depth where they are weak and we have a good history of helping each other and good relationships between people at both clubs.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just wishful thinking Canberra have depth where we are weak, we have depth where they are weak and we have a good history of helping each other and good relationships between people at both clubs.
I agree. And I cannot see Trey Mooney staying at Canberra with the forward depth they have.