Dragons and Dogs in, Roosters out of Addin Fonua-Blake race amid new Warriors clause

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Honestly bro I reckon if everybody pulls their weight we will handle most packs in the first third of the season.... The real test will come mid way through the season to see if these blokes can maintain and handle the tough work load.

BUT yes i would GLADLY welcome Klemmer/May for Sutto/RFM all day right now.
You are more optimistic than me bro. That middle rotation gets rolled every week. We have some quality edges and pace in the backs but we need someone to lay a platform and hold the opposition

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You are more optimistic than me bro. That middle rotation gets rolled every week. We have some quality edges and pace in the backs but we need someone to lay a platform and hold the opposition
Im optimistic because I believe they can lay that platform... Whether they can hold their own in defense? I think they can BUT for how long before the puff wears out.

We are not going to beat most of the premiership contending packs but i reckon we can put up a decent fight at least against the bottom half.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think one or two decent forwards will become available as clubs adjust rosters. Winning the race for their signature will be the issue. I get the feeling that most props who request releases right now are aware of the fact that it's a rare point in time when quality book ends are in huge demand and likely to get pay rises if they can break contract.

I'd be happy if we tried shaking up our attack if we're lacking up front by kickoff. I think this will be the most insanely talented backline we've had in around 20 years and we need to get them as involved as possible. I think if we spend a lot of time training passing at the line from the props we do have and give our 1, 3, 4, 6 & 7 given free reign to tail them for tackles 2 & 3 it'll potentially mean the opposition need to pay attention to our support runners instead of numbering up against our props to wear them out.

It's a similar strategy to the 2012 game plan in that it's main aim is to create an uncertain defensive line. Barba, Reynolds and Keating ran amok off those offloads and short passes. I'm sure we could replicate it to some extent with the roster we have.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats just annoying tbh.. Obviously referring more to the middle and its rotations.
I find it annoying when posters refer to “forwards” when they really mean “props”. Not suggesting that you do, but it seems deliberate because we actually have a high quality hooker in Mahoney, a great 2nd row in Kikau and Preston and a good lock in Curran. As a pack of forwards in total we aren’t that badly off.

I would add that anyone who doesn’t believe that Mahoney, Kikau, Preston and Curran are going to heavily contribute to our mid field defence are delusional.

Watching Penrith in particular it’s obvious that teams use their back 5 to run the opposition props ragged early in the tackle count in the middle third of the field. Then use their 2nd rowers and lock slightly wider to make the opposition props work laterally. With the fullback often cutting back behind the ruck. It’s not unusual for their props to only run the ball once or twice in the tackle count, even coming out of their own end.

Obviously Ciraldo knows that we are short an alpha prop and knows well how to use a back 5. He is going to rely on the other quality players (which we have) to contribute heavily to minimise that absence.

Always a Bulldog

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find it annoying when posters refer to “forwards” when they really mean “props”. Not suggesting that you do, but it seems deliberate because we actually have a high quality hooker in Mahoney, a great 2nd row in Kikau and Preston and a good lock in Curran. As a pack of forwards in total we aren’t that badly off.

I would add that anyone who doesn’t believe that Mahoney, Kikau, Preston and Curran are going to heavily contribute to our mid field defence are delusional.

Watching Penrith in particular it’s obvious that teams use their back 5 to run the opposition props ragged early in the tackle count in the middle third of the field. Then use their 2nd rowers and lock slightly wider to make the opposition props work laterally. With the fullback often cutting back behind the ruck. It’s not unusual for their props to only run the ball once or twice in the tackle count, even coming out of their own end.

Obviously Ciraldo knows that we are short an alpha prop and knows well how to use a back 5. He is going to rely on the other quality players (which we have) to contribute heavily to minimise that absence.

Always a Bulldog
Our back row and outside backs will be competitive with most teams but we need minimum two props to compete. Knight and King are benchies or cup at any other club. If not we are just fighting to not get the spoon again.

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our back row and outside backs will be competitive with most teams but we need minimum two props to compete. Knight and King are benchies or cup at any other club. If not we are just fighting to not get the spoon again.
That's a bit rough on King mate. He is a genuine starter prop. I'll give you that for Knight and the other lot. But King on his day is starting NRL quality as a prop.
Better yet, the **** is no longer a virgin anymore. That boys getting some serious pootang and his testosterone will be pumping next year.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one or two decent forwards will become available as clubs adjust rosters. Winning the race for their signature will be the issue. I get the feeling that most props who request releases right now are aware of the fact that it's a rare point in time when quality book ends are in huge demand and likely to get pay rises if they can break contract.

I'd be happy if we tried shaking up our attack if we're lacking up front by kickoff. I think this will be the most insanely talented backline we've had in around 20 years and we need to get them as involved as possible. I think if we spend a lot of time training passing at the line from the props we do have and give our 1, 3, 4, 6 & 7 given free reign to tail them for tackles 2 & 3 it'll potentially mean the opposition need to pay attention to our support runners instead of numbering up against our props to wear them out.

It's a similar strategy to the 2012 game plan in that it's main aim is to create an uncertain defensive line. Barba, Reynolds and Keating ran amok off those offloads and short passes. I'm sure we could replicate it to some extent with the roster we have.
Love this post.
Unfortunately, the halves aren't the type to take advantage.

Maybe if Taaffe and Hutch play 7 and 6 it might.

We seem to be lacking in players supporting around the middle that can take advantage of a late offload or half a line break.

Taaffe is definitely one of them, so hope we use him properly.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a bit rough on King mate. He is a genuine starter prop. I'll give you that for Knight and the other lot. But King on his day is starting NRL quality as a prop.
Better yet, the **** is no longer a virgin anymore. That boys getting some serious pootang and his testosterone will be pumping next year.
I love King, but he is a rotation prop, certainly not a starter at most clubs in my mind..

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
King was my favourite player in 2022 but this year and I know he played through injury, he was mid most of the season. But yeah, you are right King is a starting prop. He needs an alpha beside him and some bench support to be effective next season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Unlike many I don't believe that we need to recruit 2 x NRL high quality props, 1 x alpha prop would pretty much complete the forward roster.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
They do alot of tackling but my concern is the effectiveness of the tackles and getting to marker.

If the names you mention, I have vivid images in my head of them laying in the ruck while the ball is being played with either only 1 or no markers. Ruck is now lost.

Until we fix the sequence of our roll-offs or ability to turn an attacker so we slow his ptb
I think every club would throw something at DCE... It would probably cause a massive merry go round in the halves too.
Always been a fan of his ability.
He'd be great to take pressure off his halves partner and invaluable to teach the younger guys (and the rest of the team) about game management.

Not sure most clubs would go for him.
If you're a complete team with only the halfback spot as your missing link, yes. Brisbane did it.

If you're a team that needs to sort it's spine so you can figure out if the rest of your players are good enough, yes. That's us.

But if you're a team like Sharks or Parra or Roosters or Souths, I'd say no. You have capable players in that position.

So it's really only bottom placed teams or teams with small window of opportunity to win a premiership that would go for him at this stage of his career

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I agree it always happens during the year and as coaches get pressure for performance and disharmony sets in players want out. I feel like Manly, Souths, Cowboys and Parramatta coaches are the one's to watch. All 4 of these teams did not perform in 2023. If it continues 2024 we might see some players walk.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t give either of them a chance personally. Both career cup players. Think Hughes is a better chance of showing something
Just remember Patolo is only 22 and has had plenty of injuries. With a different attitude around him as well. He may surprise everyone in 2024.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
would like to see what Patolo can do with a run free of injury. To me we are very short in the middle, over a long season we will be sorely tested

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unlike many I don't believe that we need to recruit 2 x NRL high quality props, 1 x alpha prop would pretty much complete the forward roster.

Always a Bulldog
Who is the alpha though bro? Our 24 middle gets destroyed as is

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My biggest concern is we not only lack quality in the front row but also depth. Can you imagine if King and/or Knight get injured long term during the season? We are absolutely up shit creek (which you could argue we are anyway fully fit in that department). If Gus isn’t frantically trying to make a deal to bring one other front rower into the squad before kick off he isn’t doing his job.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve said it many times recruitment is the hardest it’s been for us in a long time, not only is the market dry but any potential players will need to be willing to sign with us in the first place.

Money doesn’t always motivate, while we have what appears to be standards we want to stick to a compromise needs to be made if we are clutching at straws.

Gus did say the road ahead is going to be hard so my expectations take that into account.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’ve said it many times recruitment is the hardest it’s been for us in a long time, not only is the market dry but any potential players will need to be willing to sign with us in the first place.

Money doesn’t always motivate, while we have what appears to be standards we want to stick to a compromise needs to be made if we are clutching at straws.

Gus did say the road ahead is going to be hard so my expectations take that into account.
Just keep listening to Gus aye

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just keep listening to Gus aye
@TheSexDogs We are the only club that uses the market place excuse. We've had no issues signing players. We sign the wrong players. We don't back our retention of players. We don't trust our Juniors. Dolphins would have had way bigger hurdles than us and seem to be okay.