Doujon Zammit farewelled at Sydney service

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
August 03, 2008 12:00am

THE family of Sydney backpacker Doujon Zammit who died after being bashed outside a nightclub in Greece will hold a memorial service at the Sydney park where he played as a child tonight.

Mr Zammit's oldest brother Zeake has invited friends of Mr Zammit or others that have been touched by his death to join his family at a memorial service at Cecil Hills Lake at 6pm (AEST) today.

Twenty-year-old Mr Zammit died in an Athens hospital on Friday after his life support was turned off by his father.

A 25-year-old nightclub bouncer reportedly has admitted to a Greek court he hit Mr Zammit with a baton outside the Tropicana club on Mykonos' Paradise beach, but claims he did not intend to kill him.

He has been charged with attempted murder over the incident in which he and three others allegedly beat Mr Zammit and five of his friends.

Mourners are asked to take along candles and photographs in memory of their friend.

"I would just like to take the chance to say that everyone is welcome to show their appreciation and come down to the lake with candles etc,'' Zeake Zammit wrote on a Facebook group page set up in memory of his brother.

"It is simply to celebrate the wonderful boy my brother was and the life he has had.

"We will all be there to get through it and will share the memories Doujon would like us to share.

"On behalf of myself and the Zammit family I would like to say thanks for everything use (sic) have done and all the support that has been showed ... this truly is amazing.

"Doujon is in all of our hearts ... and will be forever.''

Mr Zammit's friend Daniel Chamoun said it was appropriate to hold the memorial service in the park where Mr Zammit played as a boy.

He said he would launch a petition to rename it after his friend.

"To keep Doujon's memory alive I would like to use this Facebook page as an online petition to rename the park next to the lake where Doujon grew up and where I met Doujon for the first time many years ago,'' Mr Chamoun said.

"This will also be the same park where we will hold the memorial for this great guy.''

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is so sad. So tragic.

I hope that bouncer lives each day as painful as the family will live each day for the rest of their lives.

Makes me sick.

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is so sad. So tragic.

I hope that bouncer lives each day as painful as the family will live each day for the rest of their lives.

Makes me sick.
the bloody poofter should get the injection to die imo

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Memorial to honour Doujon Zammit killed in Mykonos

HE brought light into the lives of everyone he met. But yesterday his family, friends and many strangers gathered to shine a light in memory of Doujon Zammit.

At least 800 people gathered in Cecil Hills for a candlelight vigil to honour the 20-year-old who died in Greece after he was attacked on the island of Mykonos last week, on his first overseas holiday.

His family and friends had expected several dozen people to attend but, as the numbers swelled, it was obvious the tragic plight of the youngster, described as a unique man who loved life and was there for everyone, has touched Sydneysiders.

There were tears - and also laughter - as they listened to stories of his life on the banks of Cecil Lake, a short distance from his family's home.

His mother Rose watched as friends and family spoke of the talented youth who loved to party and through a family member she said she will never get over the loss of her first-born son.

Many in the crowd wept openly as his father Oliver spoke from Greece via a mobile phone on speaker, saying he was sorry he could not be with his family and all those who celebrated his son's life.

Mr Zammit told the mourners he had met the Australian man who would get his son's heart.

"I've had the pleasure of meeting the person taking his heart, and his wife, and his heart could not have gone to a better family," Mr Zammit said.

He said people in Greece were devastated by their loss: "They're beside themselves here. They feel pain, embarrassment and hurt as much as all of us."

His younger brothers Zeake and Laurent released white balloons before fireworks were let off in Doujon's memory.

His best friend Ray Mifsud helped organise the memorial and said they wanted to celebrate a person who always made them laugh.

"You would always see Doujon with a smile, he knew how to light up a room and make people laugh," he said. "He was that type of bloke to give the shirt off his back for anybody."

Doujan Music played as images of Doujon were projected on a screen and people stood on a makeshift stage on the back of a truck and recounted their memories. Mourners walked to the lake and laid candles on the water as a floating tribute, to the strains of Mariah Carey's song Bye Bye.

His cousin Juliette Schembri told The Daily Telegraph last night he had a "beautiful soul".

"He saved another man's life. Even though his heart is with someone else, he'll always be in our hearts."

Status
Not open for further replies.