Double standards - Or are we just too emotional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Frank Pritchard charged with a high tackle and got a week suspension
Leeson Ah Mau and Michael Weyman laid out a Bulldog each and had no case to answer
Manu Vatavei attacked the head of the Eels Willie Tonga and has no case to answer

Todd Greenberg said he was "bewildered, confused and frustrated" while Hasler fumed: "We only want one thing: consistency."

I've said before on this forum that if there is one thing referees, touchies, the match Review Committee and the judiciary don't have on their agendas is consistency. Please give your thoughts on this.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Its BS, the excuses given by the judiciary to Pritchard were that even though the player was slipping or changed his angle it is the tacklers responsibility to avoid contact with the head even if it was accidental hence the grade 1 "careless" charge. How Manu's differs from that explanation is beyond me???

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its BS, the excuses given by the judiciary to Pritchard were that even though the player was slipping or changed his angle it is the tacklers responsibility to avoid contact with the head even if it was accidental hence the grade 1 "careless" charge. How Manu's differs from that explanation is beyond me???
Agreed.They were harping on all week about how its the tacklers responsibility, all head shots accidental or not will incur a charge etc etc, they made it black and white. Seems this week there is some grey area. You cant have it both ways.If Tonga had of been helped from the field I wonder if it would have been treated differently? I get the feeling it would have, which to me means they will charge depending on the injury to the player rather than the actual incident.... which is a f$%king joke.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Agreed.They were harping on all week about how its the tacklers responsibility, all head shots accidental or not will incur a charge etc etc, they made it black and white. Seems this week there is some grey area. You cant have it both ways.If Tonga had of been helped from the field I wonder if it would have been treated differently? I get the feeling it would have, which to me means they will charge depending on the injury to the player rather than the actual incident.... which is a f$%king joke.
Paul f*cking Kent ... was at the front of the cavalry, on multiple rugby league TV shows, singing at the top of his lungs last week.
"The players will leave with mental illnesses" he said.
"We have to rule it out the game" he said.
"Studies in AMerican Footbasll have shown ... " he said.

He's got 3 times the evidence to use after last weeks games, if he wants to get his mug on TV again !!!

But the b*tch is nowhere to be seen ...
Join those dots !

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
Paul f*cking Kent ... was at the front of the cavalry, on multiple rugby league TV shows, singing at the top of his lungs last week.
"The players will leave with mental illnesses" he said.
"We have to rule it out the game" he said.
"Studies in AMerican Footbasll have shown ... " he said.

He's got 3 times the evidence to use after last weeks games, if he wants to get his mug on TV again !!!

But the b*tch is nowhere to be seen ...
Join those dots !
join them for me.. i don't get what youre saying :P

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Frank Pritchard charged with a high tackle and got a week suspension
Leeson Ah Mau and Michael Weyman laid out a Bulldog each and had no case to answer
Manu Vatavei attacked the head of the Eels Willie Tonga and has no case to answer

Todd Greenberg said he was "bewildered, confused and frustrated" while Hasler fumed: "We only want one thing: consistency."

I've said before on this forum that if there is one thing referees, touchies, the match Review Committee and the judiciary don't have on their agendas is consistency. Please give your thoughts on this.
Not sure about the others but Leeson Ah Mau got exactly the same grade as Pritchard did he not? Difference is Frank has carry over points, hence why he copped 1 week. That is consistency. Cant speak for the other tackles as i barely remember them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I've often wondered, despite rules against it, how easy would it be for a referee to give friends money to put on a game. With that in mind clamp down on EVERYTHING, or convenientely overlook offside/knock ons/incorrect play the balls/etc.

There is so much inconsistency between referee / linesmen officials and descisions these days, it really does put a question mark over such a thing.

In the example of Tandy, if the question was never asked and the incident noted they would never have found out about it... consider that.

I think tampering in the game is far more widespread than we assume.

[FKN-SIK]

Gigidy Gigidy
Reaction score
Not sure about the others but Leeson Ah Mau got exactly the same grade as Pritchard did he not? Difference is Frank has carry over points, hence why he copped 1 week. That is consistency. Cant speak for the other tackles as i barely remember them.
Yes, however Frank's was careless/accidental. Ah Mau's "tackle" (elbow to the face basically) was reckless and intentional

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
i think it's there for all to see what a farcical show they're running with the Vatuvai decision - just ridiculous

some of the decisions from the refs re not knowing the rules and awarding that try to Sau on the weekend against the Sharks was among the worst decisions i've seen. That's been a no try for a hundred years and some ponce ref sees it differently and the league admin don't say a word.

Back to Vatuvai - if I was part of the Bulldogs admin I'd be seeking compensation in some way.There is precedence and we've been ****ed

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
I have been reading through this story on Fox Sports News and a few people have been saying that Manu's reaction to his hit on Tonga may have been a factor in the judiciary's decision - he seemed genuinely concerned about Tonga's well being after the hit, where as Pritchard instead picked up the ball and ran for the try-line.

Personally I don't think this should have any bearing on the judiciary's decision to ban a player or not.

Hasler was also quoted saying the following:

"We were told last week that Frank Pritchard's tackle was deemed a careless grade one offence," Hasler said. "We were told that the burden of care was placed on him when tackling.

"We were told that an attacking player who stepped late or was falling was no excuse and that the burden was on the player to bend his back to ensure no contact was made to the head of an opposing player.

"We were told that any contact with another player's head can be deemed a careless high tackle."

Obviously Hasler is not happy with the double standards, but I think he is also getting the "Us V Them" mentality going a bit which is something he did very well at Manly.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Definate double standards apply here and good on us for venting, it is BS and will make the boys all the more fired up this weekend, especially Franky. We always seem to get the poo end of the stick.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No I wouldn't say emotional we just want some consistancey that is all they want and I would have to agree. They set the standards last week only to not go by those standards I can totally understand how they feel and I feel the same way.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
True as this may be. Manu Vatuvei was exonerated for his tackle and that's far from consistent ! If he was charged with a grade 1 careless high tackle and was free to play because he had no carryover points, no one would be complaining. He was EXONERATED, no case to answer according to the NRL. Watch the footage, then tell me they're consistent ?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pretty much my thoughts. Carry over points, and the fact he was suspended last year for the exact same type of tackle didnt help Pritchard. Anyway we didnt seem to miss him too much with a 30-4 win, so he will be all fresh for when we really need him, vs the big Warriors away. It all worked out fine in the end.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much my thoughts. Carry over points, and the fact he was suspended last year for the exact same type of tackle didnt help Pritchard. Anyway we didnt seem to miss him too much with a 30-4 win, so he will be all fresh for when we really need him, vs the big Warriors away. It all worked out fine in the end.
nothing to do with carry over he wasn't charged massive diff and massive contradiction that the NRL need to get vocal about otherwise this commission is just another bare bum in the shower

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
nothing to do with carry over he wasn't charged massive diff and massive contradiction that the NRL need to get vocal about otherwise this commission is just another bare bum in the shower
Im just saying that frank could have just farted near the ref and got a week with his record, but yeh agree that other ppl got luckier than he did. weymans one looks bad coz he was very aggressive after a previous incident the tackle before, but initial contact was lower and he slid up. His aggressiveness makes it look worse at normal speed. Vatuvei's tackle was pretty identical to Franks, and he should have got at least points to carry over if he had none already. Or maybe after the reaction to Frank getting a week from various places, they decided to back off on the stance and even Frank would get away with doing it again next week? I can see why ppl are confused.

L

loui323

Ok, i will tell you what happen.... gather around all of you and listen... OK you all listening... im only going to say it once.. " ITS BECAUSE WE ARE THE BULLDOGS" these MUVVA FARKERS always rule against the dogs... Dirty Farkers..

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
[FKN-SIK];2497154 said:
Yes, however Frank's was careless/accidental. Ah Mau's "tackle" (elbow to the face basically) was reckless and intentional
Correct. In these cases all focus seems to be on "the carry over points he had" with malice and intent being an unnecessary irritation.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
I think there is a definite double standard when it comes to the judiciary. But it has nothing to do with The Bulldogs. I think they are just dumb****s who have no idea what they are doing. I bet they are all ex Rugby League players!!

Status
Not open for further replies.