Official Dolphins scoop up averillo for three years

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ok… just wait and see how soft Crichton looks next year in this rabble. Systems matter.

Avo has a huge amount of upside and we are morons for letting him walk.
So name all these upsides you’re talking about other than speed?

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's certainly polarising the kennel. I've always liked him, but I saw the fullback experiment as a failed one. I think if you're going to be a long term fullback. you don't need 2 years to learn the position. You're a good one naturally or you're not. 2 years should be polish, not proficiency, at least in my humble opinion. I much more saw him as a centre and his insistence for years that he was a spine player didn't really work for me. His gift is his running game and asset is speed.

I was happy for him to stay at centre, but he's got an offer from an all time great coach. It's a great opportunity. Leave on good terms, learn from Bennett and maybe come back a better player, if he truly is a club man.

I feel (and really hope) our days of keeping/buying our players at all costs on potential (Mbye for too much, Foran for $1M) are over. I love the Cup talent I'm seeing come through.
I agree with what you’ve said other than being content with him to stay at centre. He leaks far to many points and is easily contained without open space.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disappointing that we let a local junior go and sign outsiders to play the same position. Gus had better deliver us a Premiership or 6.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends if we want to broker a deal with Dolphins.
That would be a good option if we got something we need in return, they have plenty of big middle forwards..... Herman Ese'ese might be worth a shot.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
So name all these upsides you’re talking about other than speed?
Speed, skill, ball playing ability, utility value, x factor.... how many upsides do you want in an outside back?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That would be a good option if we got something we need in return, they have plenty of big middle forwards..... Herman Ese'ese might be worth a shot.
Would take Nicholls the goat at this point

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not a great week for Marley

1. Jake Avo gone
2. NSW Blues pumped
3. Holbrook sacked (for Des no less)

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone complains that we need a top shelf half and forwards and then gets upset when the moves are made to clear up money to give the club the best chance at landing the best players in those positions.

All the outside back movement lately means we’re going into next year with a bunch of outside backs who don’t take up much of the salary cap at all bar Critta and fox (fox isn’t even on overs tbh). It’s a business decision, Avo is replaceable. I’d rather have alamoti/xerri/Skelton/Kiraz/quai ward as options on small contracts than avo taking up 400k/yr.

Everyone is complaining Gus hasn’t spent where needed, but not everything can happen all at once. I’ll be saving judgement for later, let them do their work to try and execute their vision.
Good post bro. The problem with a lot of fans is the same as people in general, they want everything NOW. I’m guilty of this too and am just as sick of being a shit footy team, but the reality is, it takes years for systemic change. Gus has already made heaps of progress in junior pathways, making connections with Farrar H.S, NC Bulldogs and Toowoomba Clydesdales. We have guys like Kallum Weatherall-Stacey and Damon Marshal and that massive dude Isaac Matalavea?

All of those partnerships, junior systems and competitions will take time, sometimes years to return results, but the basic reason why it should reap rewards is a simple numbers game. Across all of those teams we have as “feeders” there are hundreds of potential future Bulldogs.

Obviously we’d all like to be far higher on the ladder this season, but we’re just going to have to be more patient.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. You got no clue. Alex Johnston is 28 years old. Nowhere near the end of his career. Besides, when this happened he was 23 or 24 years old. Did he jump at the opportunity and sign with the first club that approached? No he didn’t, because no matter who came knocking, he didn’t wanna leave Souths. Even stayed for unders. So it does happen
AJ was unsigned right up to near the start of the season iirc. A few years ago it was. Surprisingly he hadn’t been offered, or accepted a deal prior to Souths finally offering him one that he was satisfied with. Possibly it took that long because he wanted to stay at Souths, but I think it was more that he wanted “fullback money” and no club was willing to offer it. I remember thinking we should go after him. I’m sure it was a topic on here at the time.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting bought by Wayne, yup sounds like a bust :tearsofjoy:
He also bought Isaako, Brenko and numerous other players considered bog average by almost everyone else. Kudos to Wayne, he’s got the best out of some of them but not all. Brenko is still Brenko. Milf is still milfed.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good post bro. The problem with a lot of fans is the same as people in general, they want everything NOW. I’m guilty of this too and am just as sick of being a shit footy team, but the reality is, it takes years for systemic change. Gus has already made heaps of progress in junior pathways, making connections with Farrar H.S, NC Bulldogs and Toowoomba Clydesdales. We have guys like Kallum Weatherall-Stacey and Damon Marshal and that massive dude Isaac Matalavea?

All of those partnerships, junior systems and competitions will take time, sometimes years to return results, but the basic reason why it should reap rewards is a simple numbers game. Across all of those teams we have as “feeders” there are hundreds of potential future Bulldogs.

Obviously we’d all like to be far higher on the ladder this season, but we’re just going to have to be more patient.
Common sense don’t belong on TK man…

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score

The thing is the club seems to want to have it both ways, they want patience for long term success, but they also want forgiveness and freedom to make short term Band-Aid fixes now.

If it was just being patient most people could probably cop it (not saying all because there’s always going to be some people who can’t wait for the payoff) but asking for people to cop both excuses at once is really starting to wear people down, I think fairly so.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
great news hopefully bennet can fix his defence that sucks!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Showed some strength in the last game to shrug off the defender. Think he scored from it?
Speed, footwork, ticker and a great foundation. Has some rookie errors in his game but he is his toughest critic which speaks volumes.

Should still be playing flegg but has settled into NSW cup nicely.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He also bought Isaako, Brenko and numerous other players considered bog average by almost everyone else. Kudos to Wayne, he’s got the best out of some of them but not all. Brenko is still Brenko. Milf is still milfed.
What's the point you're trying to make? Wayne buys undervalued players?