Dogs win but Manly to provide big test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
They snapped a two-game losing streak, but Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten believes next week's NRL tussle with Manly will say more about his side's premiership credentials than Saturday night's win over St George Illawarra.

The Bulldogs weren't forced to work too hard for the points against the Dragons as they walked away with a comfortable 30-18 win at ANZ Stadium and their focus quickly turned to Saturday night's trip to Brookvale Oval.

With wins over Wests Tigers and Souths prior to Saturday night's defeat of the Dragons, The Bulldogs know a win over Manly on their own home ground will be their biggest scalp of the young season.

"We can take a fair bit of that game, especially defensively, and we'll have to going into Brookvale next weekend," Patten said.

"It will say more about where we're at, I don't think the Dragons would say they're going too great, we didn't play that great either. It's one of those games where you get the two points and then forget about it.

"Manly played pretty well to beat Parramatta, I know they've got a few injuries but they'll still put a pretty decent side out.

"It's a bit of a step up and we're probably looking for that at this stage of the season with the bye coming up the week after."

While it was all positive in the Bulldogs dressing room, it was glum faces for the opposition who have simply forgotten how to win.

The Dragons aren't getting blown off the park, but they are rarely threatening to actually claim victory with gallant late fightbacks the norm over the opening six rounds.

It happened again on Saturday night and again the Dragons are hoping to take that into Friday's Anzac Day game against the Sydney Roosters.

"It's obviously disappointing when you've had a couple of losses, you tend to go into your shell a bit," stand-in skipper Ben Hornby said.

"You can get a bit tense and you want to play conservative to make sure we give ourselves a chance.

"When the game was probably gone the tenseness went away and we started to throw the ball around and we looked better. We've got to take that into next week now, that mentality."

http://www.nrl.com.au/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=50656

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
I wouldn't play the exact same side which saw the dragons score 18 points against us, even if it was without Williams on the field. The only change i could see happening is Maitua coming in for Warburton.

Manly will be ten times harder then the dragons, they even beat Parra while they were down to a 1 man bench and the momentum was going in favour of Parra. Although if there is 1 team that gives manly a challenge at Brookvale, it would definitely be us.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
(in response to Jimmy) True but the Eels are shocking atm. Eric Grothe gave them 3 of their 4 trys.
I rekon the Dogs can beat the Eagles.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To beat the Eagles we have to play for the full 80, plus our props have to step up, something we still did not do on the weekend.

None of our props made over 100metres

Deception_2112

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updated stats, saw Tsolous being marked down as making 126m and Hickey 99m..

Not good but i think we'll take the points against a depleted Manly.

Hell as long as Utai doesn't gift them tries.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tsolous was the only forward over 100m with Sonny.

Armit 66m for a starting prop is poor

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
th eagles have a few injuries so we have a good chance

H

Haztrick

Tsoulos is a beast and a bit of a hit man.. 2 great shots right under the ribs in 2 weeks from big J.

Also, did anyone else notice how pumped up Tsoulos gets after every try or every big play? He was creaming, running around tapping everyone on the head and pumping everyone up. Seems he's taken some kind of a leadership role.

Would love to see Patten own Stewart in this match as well to stamp his name in the NSW selectors books.

kogstar

Waterboy
Reaction score
Think its a little to late for Patten for the rep stage. Was in great form last season at origin time but the selectors went for the younger Stewart. Would love to see him in there but i cant see them going past Stewart.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updated stats, saw Tsolous being marked down as making 126m and Hickey 99m..

Not good but i think we'll take the points against a depleted Manly.

Hell as long as Utai doesn't gift them tries.

I'm a huge fan of stats but most metres are down this year with the limited interchange. The workload is being shared around a bit more so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Quality>Quantity any day of the week.

Going to be a huge game. Does anyone know our recent record against the Eagles and at Brookie in particular ?

80fic...

I hope the trend continues, because it will be my first trip to brookvale, and I don't feel like walking back to my car being heckled by scumly supporters

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Manly will be a tough opposition with the Brooky crowd behind them. They have some key players out but the boys will need to step up to the task. Our forwards need to keep on improving making yardage through the ruck areas.

Kingi

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a feeling we will get them.

Dogs 22 Manly 16

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
If hazem in team 24-18(4 tries to 3) If hazem not in then 16- 18 manly wins(4 tries to 3) you know what im getting too.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Manly will be a tough opposition with the Brooky crowd behind them. They have some key players out but the boys will need to step up to the task. Our forwards need to keep on improving making yardage through the ruck areas.
Thats one of the keys to break Brookvale, its on the other side of the Harbour but if we put some noisy blue and white out there the boyz will play more confidently rather than putting up with too much away sh#t.

M

mofo sixx

I hope the trend continues, because it will be my first trip to brookvale, and I don't feel like walking back to my car being heckled by scumly supporters
that happened to me in 04 after tha G/F 3 Rorters fans started givin me and my 4 y/old a hard tiime after the match on the way to the carpark, they were drunk i was sober, after repeated requests to piss off back to bondi & have a cry i ended up gettin real peeved & kicked this rooster dude square in the nuts,

Status
Not open for further replies.