Official Dogs sign Reed Mahoney (4 year deal)

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He did say 2 weeks so if he sticks to his word then he will make a decision in the next few days
Even if he makes a decision in that 2 week time frame we may not hear about it for another week or two until a contract is signed.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope the club finds the balance. We should be past the days of desperation. If we offer a player a decent contract but they sign elsewhere for more, so be it. That is their right. In no way should we be chopping and changing our offer based on being nervous they won't sign. Make our offer, tell them we want them in the blue and white, and stick with it. If they sign, it will likely be for the right reasons. If they don't sign we wish them well, sorry that it wasn't to be. Move on.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spoke to Mahoney snr today. He wasn't anywhere near as talkative as he was last week.

Apparently not much has changed except now the Dolphins are getting fairly serious. They seemed pretty sure of getting the Cheese a week or so ago, but now the Roosters appear to be leading that race. I've been told that Reed wants to stay in Sydney and it would take a mammoth offer to get him to Redcliffe. He is also looking to buy a new home in Sydney.

The Dogs are still his likely destination and his father is still expecting him to come, but from Reed's point of view there is no drastic hurry to sign anything atm. Snr knows that I'm keen to find out what he's doing and said he would let me know when he knows.

Sorry I couldn't give you much today. It's costing me a fortune drinking beers at the pub in the middle of my work day :smirk::-). Don't tell the boss.
no matter what your relationship is with Snr, there is now way he will give away Reed's position, especially knowing that it will be plastered all over this Forum and make its way to 1eyed Eel.
but appreciate all the news you have shared.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks very much RobT. If the Roosters miss out on Cheese they may enter the race for Mahoney and it will be harder for us to sign him then. If the Dolphins miss out on Cheese you could expect them to increase their offer by a few hundred grand. I hope our club offers an extra incentive for him to sign NOW. The longer we leave it the more risk. If Paulo signs somewhere else the Eels will increase their offer by a few hundred grand also surely. We need to know now so if we're unlikely to get him we can look at alternatives including Paulo if we can't upgrade hooker

If we had the pack below we could probably get by with an average 9

8 Paulo
9 Cook
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Kikau
13 Jackson
Any thing could happen but according to the rumours he will be a Bulldog, no disrespect to Cook I don't agree on being able to get away with average hooker, again I'll use this term " a strong pack of forwards without hooker is like a Big V8 engine without the old distributor "

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
afternoon men, what’s the latest? @Bulldogs09

I cannot stress how crucial this signing is, absolute must
Mate I don’t have any source here. There’s a few blokes that have made comments and I just keep An eye out As I agree. We need a 9
And Mahoney or smith are it. They are vital to us being genuinely relevant again. Finally.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Spoke to Mahoney snr today. He wasn't anywhere near as talkative as he was last week.

Apparently not much has changed except now the Dolphins are getting fairly serious. They seemed pretty sure of getting the Cheese a week or so ago, but now the Roosters appear to be leading that race. I've been told that Reed wants to stay in Sydney and it would take a mammoth offer to get him to Redcliffe. He is also looking to buy a new home in Sydney.

The Dogs are still his likely destination and his father is still expecting him to come, but from Reed's point of view there is no drastic hurry to sign anything atm. Snr knows that I'm keen to find out what he's doing and said he would let me know when he knows.

Sorry I couldn't give you much today. It's costing me a fortune drinking beers at the pub in the middle of my work day :smirk::-). Don't tell the boss.
Appreciate the Goss my bro

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck it would be tough going and a lot of tackling at the Dolphins next yea for RM.... look at the way the locals hate the guys who go up QLD on big money, play there hole out and can't get a result, Redcliffe fans were a junior based club as well have a good think about origin prospects there is more to the game than short term gains.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He’s said Mahoney, Paulo and 1 raider (not scott) then said he was a former shark/dragon coach? Maybe ennis?

Dunno who else.

Others call bs there. Who knows

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory aren’t all our announcements wednesdays ? Or am I wrong?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why is everyone discounting Cook. Like he is an unknown but from all reports he has huge potential. If we can't get mahoney I'm all happy to give cook a go. Cheese isn't coming to the dogs
he is unproven and if he was that good then souths would not have released him

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he is unproven and if he was that good then souths would not have released him
Souths didn’t release him. He was off contract.

I have never seen him play, but you can’t really judge a players ability based on the fact that he didn’t re-sign with a club. Maybe he just saw that there was better opportunities elsewhere since Damien Cook was ahead of him and has a few years left in the NRL

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reed is from the Sunshine Coast right? Does he have a lanky older brother?