Dogs sign Mitch Brown - effective NOW apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggascott

Waterboy
Reaction score
i believe we got this bloke rather cheap as it seems the tigers are under a fair bit of pressure with the salary cap. i read somewhere in the papers that humphreys met with salery cap chief schubert moments before there game witrh the sharks, to sort out some over spending.
Maybe the tigers approached us to offload some money

H

hazem_elmasri

Ha, ANOTHER fringe first grader. Deadset, is this for real??? Just buy an expensive decent one and be done with it!!

H

hazem_elmasri

Would turner.... Actually how many players in the NsW cup would dominate it, as much as lett does? This is where I make the assumption that he is in the top 10 players in the nrl squads.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a good signing who will play ahead of wright, who is not up to first grade, you would think.
my mates who support the tigers rate him and were surprised he missed the bench
position for yesterdays match.

all we need to do is get lett in for goodwin as well and we have a half threatening
outside backline : )

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if this means that lett can be just released and get a start elsewhere rather than get top try scorer for nsw cup 3 years in a row?
Yeah because the big, bad bulldogs are holding this superstar back....
He's been to, and got released from numerous clubs before us.

Scooby doooo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mtch is solid under the high ball... Barba isn't a defensive fullback and would be better suited to 5/8 if we leave him in the number 1 position expect teams to give him plenty of high ball, he just didn't look confident there and needs to be moved.. I'm taking nothing away from barbas game i just don't think he's cut out for that position. He drops bombs or simply stands back and waits for someone else or the opposition to make the move. Remember it was Mores brainwave to put him at FB so enough said ;)

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Brown wants Bulldogs NRL centre spot

In a week where he might have been handed the Wests Tigers fullback spot full-time, talented utility back Mitch Brown on Monday made a mid-season switch to Canterbury in search of a NRL starting spot.

Brown, who has played 40 games for the Tigers in the past two seasons at fullback, centre and on the wing, made the decision last week to leave the Tigers in the final year of his contract.

Brown's manager Gavin Orr stepped up negotiations over the weekend - before a season-ending knee injury to young Tigers fullback James Tedesco suffered in Sunday's golden-point victory over Cronulla - and finalised the move on Monday.

Brown admits Tedesco's injury is poorly timed and, had it happened in the last week of pre-season, could have impacted on his decision.

"It probably would have, to be honest," Brown told AAP on Monday.

The versatile 24-year-old had two fruitful years under Tigers coach Tim Sheens but felt a move was necessary to further his career rather than become stuck behind centres Chris Lawrence and Blake Ayshford.

"They've got really good centres. It's pretty tough," Brown said.

"As you can see, the backline at the Tigers was a very good one.

"I just don't want to be stuck playing reserve grade or whatnot.

"The opportunity arose, so I grabbed it."

Brown has been earmarked by Bulldogs coach Des Hasler as a potential right-centre, and someone who will provide coverage of all the outside back positions.

"(Hasler) sees me more as a centre, which I'm very happy to play," Brown added.

"That's where I played all my footy in the juniors, and I do prefer playing right-centre or fullback."

The off-contract Brown was excited to be working under Hasler, who has built a reputation as one of the competition's best coaches, getting the most out of the likes of Michael Robertson, Steve Matai and Joe Galuvao during his time at Manly.

"That was a big part on moving to the Dogs. I've seen what he does (to fringe players)," Brown said.

"I've got a couple of mates at the Dogs and they've said nothing but good things about him and how professional he is with the team."

http://www.nrl.com/brown-wants-bulldogs-nrl-centre-spot/tabid/10874/newsid/66124/default.aspx

Scooby doooo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mtch is solid under the high ball... Barba isn't a defensive fullback and would be better suited to 5/8 if we leave him in the number 1 position expect teams to give him plenty of high ball, he just didn't look confident there and needs to be moved.. I'm taking nothing away from barbas game i just don't think he's cut out for that position. He drops bombs or simply stands back and waits for someone else or the opposition to make the move. Remember it was Mores brainwave to put him at FB so enough said ;)
I may eat these words later and honestly would love to :grinning:

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers have to unload players as they stated Moltzen was let go to relive pressure on cap. Then Moltzen did about face and stayed so they have to clear money out

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
According to the original statement from the Tigers, Brown was released so he could play his preferred position of centre, because they have more players than they need for that position. I do not think for one second that BB's position is under threat from Brown or any current squad member. I believe Wright/Lett/Lafai are in trouble, although I see Lett as a winger not a centre and Lafai as a shadow for Morris/Goodwin in case of injury etc. Anyhow his arrival does strengthen our backline options, whatever position whoever plays.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tigers have to unload players as they stated Moltzen was let go to relive pressure on cap. Then Moltzen did about face and stayed so they have to clear money out
What salary cap pressures? They don't have one by the sounds of it!! There's a strong rumour going around that they Tigers are chasing Gerard Beale. Wonder which one would be on more coin.....Brown or Beale?
I think that Mr Schubert should go through their books with a veeeeery fine comb!!

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
im thinking

1. Barba
2. Turner
3. Morris
4. Lafai
5. Brown

browns very good under the high ball, never seen him drop one

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
if anything it will put more pressure on our backs to perform. thats gotta be a good thing.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not a bad player, but i am concerned with where it leaves Lafai.Besides that though hes better than our other options.
Yeh, maybe they arent convinced Lafai has come back 100% from surgery yet, he has no form. We might see more of Lafai later on. If Des wants Brown, i trust his opinion.

Geezmo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Anyone who says Brown is hopeless or a fringe first grader must not watch many tigers games.
I want Lafai back so maybe have him on wing (dont have to mention who they would replace)

Status
Not open for further replies.