News Dogs of war to bank on gritty NRL defence

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury want to be like the Bulldogs of old, able to consistently bank on gritty defence, after finally taking some pressure off coach Trent Barrett.
Saturday's win over the Sydney Roosters marked the Bulldogs' first victory over one of the NRL's big guns since the end of 2020, and just the eighth against any team in three seasons.

But it's the way Barrett's men snapped their six-game losing streak that has pleased Canterbury from the 16-12 win.

After leaking points for the past month, the Bulldogs managed to hold their own line intact in the final 20 minutes as the Roosters had more than 90 per cent of the ball in their half.
The 12 points they conceded was their equal-fourth best return under Barrett, with their scramble defence crucial at the end.

The Dogs are adamant their attack still has plenty of improvement in it, with combinations beginning to settle amid the raft of new faces in 2022.
But until it clicks properly Canterbury know they must be willing to scrap their way to victory.
"It's no secret that you build your games off defence," prop Paul Vaughan said.

"It's an attitude thing. You have to come to the game and want to do it. That will take a lot of pressure off the attack.
"Holding the Roosters to 12 was a great outcome for us on the weekend.
"That's one of the biggest aspects, build that defence and hold teams to below 16. That goes a long way towards winning the game."
In another boost for the Bulldogs, Canterbury are confident that they will have captain Josh Jackson back from COVID-19 to face besieged Canberra on Friday.
But time on the field together for their spine is what remains most important.

The Bulldogs are confident their attack is beginning to feel smoother with Kyle Flanagan at halfback after he was reinstated to partner Matt Burton for the last four matches.
While two of their three tries on Saturday came from unstructured play, Canterbury were able to better control of the game.
Josh Addo-Carr on Monday praised Burton's kicking game as off the charts, with his booming 40-20 late one of the biggest plays of round eight.
"I feel like ever since Flanno has come into the team Burto has come to life," Addo-Carr said.
"We start the game really well but I think our second halves could be better.
"We only scored one try in the second half. If we can score more points in the second half we will be even harder team to beat.

"We're (getting there) slowly and getting in the right direction."

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Attack is a wonderful thing, but you cant win games without defence.
The other teams have woken up to this and they play real defenders in the centres.
Sharks have Talakai, Storm has Olem, Tigers are using Garner etc. We have Averillo. ???
I would like someone like Hoffman to transition to centre. He is a talented kid who can tackle.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was the best game we have played in 22, i very much enjoyed seeing the boys dig in an give us something to be excited about moving forward. Eases the pain just a little!!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defence does win games and.that si an attitude thing. You either have it or you don't. A coach just needs to get the players minds on the job and if he is good enough the players will respond. I think that's where Gould's input last week helped immensely and was part of the reason we came away with the two points.

But the problem lies with our attack. While it is great to get over the line for four pointers, let's be honest unstructured tries don't cut it against most top defensive sides. We are struggling with our plays inside ten mtrs, in fact I am not seeing any set plays. Until we start turning our attacking plays into tries, it is then I may be sold on Barrets coaching along with our attacking coach. I am still questioning what do they do at training for us not to see any flair in our attack inside ten mtrs like most good sides? Instead we are looking lost at times.

The win was a good one against the Roosters which was built on grit and attitude and a win is a win but let's start seeing some creativity in our attack so we can put points on the board. Over to you Trent.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our defence was great to start the year (first 3 games) then we fell off a cliff albeit against heavyweights Storm and Panthers then disappointing last 20 v Broncos.

We took steps forward again to fix the defence v Roosters considering they really only scored on Legitimate try (cross kick Sualii)

Defence is harder to fix imo and attack slowly come together but I’m confident will click sooner rather than later vs bottom placed teams

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wouldn’t call talakai a real defender.. especially in centre. He killed it in attack for a few games but Staggs exposed him.. and so will players like Holmes and others when he comes up against them.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes only one try came from structured play but it was that kind of game.

The roosters scored 2 tries off kicks and 1 try from Tedesco where we fell asleep because of the blatant knock on the play before

Malla

Reaction score
Shitty thing is we probably should have won Manly and the first Broncos game

But either way we now have an opportunity to win the next few and get us back closer to the top 8

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defence is all fine and that, however all it takes is a field goal and you lose a game.

Need a decent balance of solid defence and decent attack these days.

Unfortunately with the Dogs, until they get about 20 ahead at the moment, a win is never a confident thing.

Other clubs can get 6 or 12 ahead and be relatively confident of controlling the lead from there.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not justifying our losses because we have been shit and there really isn't anything to sugar coat, but I don't think I've seen the dogs get held up over the line and not score in 5 years of footy as much as the first 8 rounds of this years competition. Like I think we've crossed the line and not scored as much as we have crossed the line and scored.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The next 3 teams are all struggling too... surely if we ever had a chance to build some momentum and go on a bit of a streak... sadly I just don't think it will happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with the doggies. They beat me up emotionally until I'm an empty shell. Then they give me a glimmer of hope with a win and when I think they may stop hurting me they totally shit the bed and put in a fucked up performance. Especially with that stupid dreaded dick fingers our pathetic excuse for a hooker and Baz's boyfriend Waddel in team. Good news is we only need 2 more wins in this entire season to improve on last year

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great comedy peice that was. Who wrote that shit?

"The Dogs are adamant their attack still has plenty of improvement in it"

Fucking LOL. That's what the GOOD attacking sides would say. When you're talking about one of the worst attacking sides in the NRL era, then duh

"In another boost for the Bulldogs, Canterbury are confident that they will have captain Josh Jackson back from COVID-19 to face besieged Canberra on Friday"

Yay. Why do these muppets in the media idolise all the duds in the side? They can't stop talking up JMK and Jackson every friggin week. FMD
If Tolman can get his hands off the ball in the opposition 20 and does his job then fine but we all know Tolman(s) can't help themselves. He'll take 2 useless settlers in good ball and stifle our attack.

2024 is shaping up to be a great year. No Jackson, JMK and Flanno. Can't wait until we have a team with 17 good players. Anyone have a time machine?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not justifying our losses because we have been shit and there really isn't anything to sugar coat, but I don't think I've seen the dogs get held up over the line and not score in 5 years of footy as much as the first 8 rounds of this years competition. Like I think we've crossed the line and not scored as much as we have crossed the line and scored.
Spot on. I’d love to see that stat for the year actually. We’d have to be miles in front

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone was having conniptions when Melbourne beat us 44 blot . . . . Doesn't seem all that bad in retrospect does it ?

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
We can't get ahead of ourselves - we are far away from being gritty in a consistent way. The Roosters were shocking in attack. On their bad day, they would still beat us, but thankfully, we played with heart for 80 mins - beating our chests about it runs the risk of deflating the intensity needed to show up in the same way next game. Fingers crossed we show up even better next week with the confidence and the combinations improving. Flanno is showing a lot of heart, we now need more brains to factor in his attack organisation.