News Dogs of Poor - Dean Ritchie

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I will give at least half the season before righting him off. Most coaches would struggle with the worst middles and spine in the comp. I will see what we look like after 10 rounds
Fair enough and that's not unreasonable. Based on traits from last year, that we saw, he seems pretty set in his coaching ways and it's up to the players to get the required skills to implement his ideas or get out. It doesn't seem to leave much room for adapting the coaching style for individuals to excell and is rather a whole of team approach.

See what we look like in 10 rounds is a fair way off but we would have a very good idea by then for sure.

Foxterrier

New Pup
Reaction score
Mick Potter just like Dean Pay is a failed coach at first grade level. Both great players though. It is too early to judge Ciro
Mick Potter is a successful coach, Dean Pay would have been successful if he had the talent rookie coach Ciraldo has. Regrettably I am expecting another dismal season and the top 8 looks distant. We all want the team to improve during this season.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mick Potter is a successful coach, Dean Pay would have been successful if he had the talent rookie coach Ciraldo has. Regrettably I am expecting another dismal season and the top 8 looks distant. We all want the team to improve during this season.
Potter is not a successful first grade coach. Pay was not impressive at all. He had a much better list than Baz and more balanced than Ciro

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm more disappointed that we beat ourselves more than the Eels beating us, I don't see how Ciraldo can be proud of that. They had more possession because we kept turning over the ball.
I'd say it was more so that the boys defended those drop balls where as in past years they would have let an extra 3-4 tries in.

Forcing the eels to take the 2 after battering the line spoke volumes. Some positivity to bounce off, just need to build pressure with the ball now.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And who was it that made the 13 Handling Errors?
Wilson 4
Kiraz 2
Burton 2
Preston 1
Salmon 1
Hughes 1
JAC 1
Taaffe 1

Penalties 7, they don't help when it comes to possession;
Kikau 2
Salmon 2
King 1
Burton 1
Mann 1

Ruck Infringements 3 of those;
Hutchison 1
Mahony 1
Mann 1

Something interesting, we did not get 1 Set Restart and Parramatta were not pinged once for a Ruck Infringement or being Inside the 10. In some ways a Set Restart is far more valuable than a Penalty.

Always a Bulldog
It was Purramutta's day and they struggled to score points whilst going home feeling very sore and battered.

Well get our days too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And who was it that made the 13 Handling Errors?
Wilson 4
Kiraz 2
Burton 2
Preston 1
Salmon 1
Hughes 1
JAC 1
Taaffe 1

Penalties 7, they don't help when it comes to possession;
Kikau 2
Salmon 2
King 1
Burton 1
Mann 1

Ruck Infringements 3 of those;
Hutchison 1
Mahony 1
Mann 1

Something interesting, we did not get 1 Set Restart and Parramatta were not pinged once for a Ruck Infringement or being Inside the 10. In some ways a Set Restart is far more valuable than a Penalty.

Always a Bulldog
Can't remember the 2nd Kiks penalty. What'd he ping him for :grinning:

Ref bias for sure. There was ample occasions where they held on too long, pushed us off the mark, laid all over us and then ref says milking. You gotta laugh. Ok Reed milked in the ruck but nevertheless they were legit penalties that should have been given. It was like with Grub. Refs have intentional biases against certain teams and players.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say it was more so that the boys defended those drop balls where as in past years they would have let an extra 3-4 tries in.

Forcing the eels to take the 2 after battering the line spoke volumes. Some positivity to bounce off, just need to build pressure with the

Agree

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
M
Potter is not a successful first grade coach. Pay was not impressive at all. He had a much better list than Baz and more balanced than Ciro
More balanced?
Our GM and Coach have been here for a while now and have overhauled the roster the way they wanted it.

If there are issues with unbalanced squad, that lies squarely on them. Remember....Gus was making recruitment decisions midway through '21 and CC midway through '22 so you cant claim they javebt had the time to tailor the roster as they like.

I think its time they take responsibility

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
M
More balanced?
Our GM and Coach have been here for a while now and have overhauled the roster the way they wanted it.

If there are issues with unbalanced squad, that lies squarely on them. Remember....Gus was making recruitment decisions midway through '21 and CC midway through '22 so you cant claim they javebt had the time to tailor the roster as they like.

Be interesting if we could get a list of all the other teams gains and losses over the past few years. It's the only way to factually look at what was on the market and who got who.

Anyway we have had some astute buys and some have gone backwards. If these new buys were playing out of their skins, this issue would not be so prominent.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
M
More balanced?

If there are issues with unbalanced squad, that lies squarely on them. Remember....Gus was making recruitment decisions kideay through '21 and CC mideay through '22 so you cant claim they javebt had the time to tailor the roster as they like.

WTF, you need to refresh your primary school maths. The average NRL player contract is 3 years, hence around 10 players per year come off contract. If you want to overhaul your Top 30 playing roster then 3 years is the target. It's widely publicised that no one from 2021 is still here in 2024. This is the 3rd year for Gould and the 2nd year for Ciraldo.

The roster is only "where you want it" if there are the players that you need/want available. Which, due to the addition of the 17th team and the delay in player progression due to Covid interrupted junior comps, have not been available.

Always a Bulldog

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Apparently the Storm are chasing Big Stefano from the Tigers as he has a clause in his contract that if Tigers don't make finals this year (which they wont) he can leave.. WHY ISN'T GUS KNOCKING DOWN HIS DOOR WITH A MASSIVE OFFER??

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
WTF, you need to refresh your primary school maths. The average NRL player contract is 3 years, hence around 10 players per year come off contract. If you want to overhaul your Top 30 playing roster then 3 years is the target. It's widely publicised that no one from 2021 is still here in 2024. This is the 3rd year for Gould and the 2nd year for Ciraldo.

The roster is only "where you want it" if there are the players that you need/want available. Which, due to the addition of the 17th team and the delay in player progression due to Covid interrupted junior comps, have not been available.

Always a Bulldog
Im aware of all the the excuses.....
Its a result driven business.
They can plead their case to the board.

...or... they can work on chsnging our (and their) fortunes.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently the Storm are chasing Big Stefano from the Tigers as he has a clause in his contract that if Tigers don't make finals this year (which they wont) he can leave.. WHY ISN'T GUS KNOCKING DOWN HIS DOOR WITH A MASSIVE OFFER??
Coz apparently Stefano was never leaving the Tigers....

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
M
More balanced?

I dont think CC had much input in 22 considering he had a FT job elsewhere and Gus was merely sorting out the cap ( e.g Cotric ) and pathways.

The roster overhaul pretty much started last year hence the sifting and changing of players/positions.

The players employed for this year are all stop gaps apart from Crighton/Curran. All professionals who understand how to implement systems helping to build foundations for the years to come.

The build is definitely taking shape... a couple of more star recruits including those from the juniors and we are the Bulldogs again....

If we are unbalanced its because the plan isn't to blow the load prematurely just to win a few more games rather build a premiership winning outfit for the decades to come.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Im aware of all the the excuses.....
Its a result driven business.
They can plead their case to the board.

...or... they can work on chsnging our (and their) fortunes.
Nothing to do with excuses, it's your poor maths that I was pointing out.

Always a Bulldog

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Coz apparently Stefano was never leaving the Tigers....
Then why are Storm sniffing around? because they are smart.. when the Tigers lose their first 5 or 6 in a row, he will be sick of that and then bang!! hes available...
The Taafe and Salmon signings in particular were ridiculous,.. they were both in reserve grade and Taafe is not a starting NRL player.. especially not a fullback.. There are so many quality young middles at other clubs crying out for an opportunity and we sign Tetavano and Suluka? its embarrassing... is it the stigma of Gus players (especially middles) don't like?