Dogs keen to snap up Jennings mid-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather keep lafai tbh
No way. I think he's a pretty selfish player. Far too often I see him holding the ball and trying to make a break himself, rather then passing to an open runner

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
No way. I think he's a pretty selfish player. Far too often I see him holding the ball and trying to make a break himself, rather then passing to an open runner

So you would pay 500k to a centre who is playing nsw cup? Lafai did a good solid job in the centres and was a handful all night. He will develop into a superstar plus we didn't buy him and would command half what jennings would want.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay 500 for Jennings..maybe more like 400. I don't think u can take much from him being in NSW cup. There is no doubt he's a superstar. He obviously doesn't gel with Gus. Lots of ppl don't. For 400k, he would be a great buy for us. If lafai learns to be more of a team player, my mind may change

C

chipandchase

Look as good as lafai is or how good our juniors are, let's face reality
If we want to win a comp, we need the likes of a trex, Jennings , Foran.
Yes we can be competitive with our current crop, but do we want to win a comp or just be competitive

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Fck Jennings, the way this team has .improved so far this year I reckon we will go pretty good come the finals. This team will be capable of great things come September.

the_gamee

Kennel Established
Reaction score
look as good as lafai is or how good our juniors are, let's face reality
if we want to win a comp, we need the likes of a trex, jennings , foran.
Yes we can be competitive with our current crop, but do we want to win a comp or just be competitive
this!

Use a junior when we were buying wright or some other non top tier players, but come on, top tier players are not always on the market.

And people using the NSW Cup statement about Jennings, yes he is playing NSW Cup but he is also playing for NSW, i think 1 cancels the other out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
A few things the club is obviously taking into consideration is that Reynolds will need to be upgraded soon, and big Sam Kas's asking price has no doubt multiplied by around 3 or 4 since the beginning of the season.
I would rather spend up cap money to upgrade the contracts of our own talen such as Reynolds and Kasiano then splurge on jennings or tony williams or other off contract stars who may end up overpriced duds

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Penrith open to offers for Jennings

NSW ORIGIN centre Michael Jennings has been told by Penrith that he is free to look for a new club as the ARL Commission prepares to reject the Panthers' application for a huge salary cap exemption.

As South Sydney became the latest team to be linked with Jennings, it also emerged that the ARLC was on the cusp of rejecting the submission filed by Penrith boss Phil Gould to alleviate the salary cap pressure on the club.

Uncertainty has clouded Jennings's future for weeks, but Penrith's intentions have now become clear. The result, the Herald has learnt, is that he has effectively been offered a release from his $600,000-a-season deal that runs until the end of 2015 and asked whether he could find another club.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Weighed down by salary cap constraints as a result of recruitment and retention decisions made before their arrival, Penrith coach Ivan Cleary and general manager Gould are endeavouring to give the Panthers some room to move in terms of their roster, and Jennings is the prime target.

One of the NRL's most exciting players when at the top of his game, Jennings - in the second season of a five-year contract - is regarded as too expensive given Penrith's salary cap predicament.

Getting rid of him, however, will be no simple exercise. Canterbury were reported at the weekend to have signalled an interest in Jennings - although officially they are denying any, having just signed Krisnan Inu - and there was speculation yesterday that South Sydney might be keen to add the left-side centre to their star-studded line-up.

But it is unlikely rival clubs will be willing to pay the 24-year-old the value of his current contract, meaning that even if he signed elsewhere, the Panthers would likely have to fork out a portion of his income themselves - and, crucially, have it still included in their salary cap.

Cleary would not comment at a Penrith recovery session yesterday, and Gould did not return calls.

Relatively new arrivals at the Panthers, they have taken over with the books in disarray in terms of player payments, with back-ended deals crippling their recruitment strategy. Half of Penrith's salary cap for 2014 is reportedly taken up by only five players - Jennings, Luke Lewis, Lachlan Coote, Sam McKendry and Tim Grant.

Gould has taken the issue to ARLC chief executive David Gallop in an effort to gain some relief but the indications last night were the Panthers will not be given special assistance. The commission appears intent on not providing cap favours for one team, knowing that the other 15 would likely claim unfairness.

''The Panthers have provided us with a submission,'' Gallop said. ''It's not appropriate to go into the details but it goes without saying that salary-cap exemptions or concessions for one club and not others is a difficult hurdle to jump.

''There has to be consideration for the equality of the 16 clubs and their salary caps.''

Jennings was suspended for Penrith's 22-4 win over Manly on Sunday after throwing a wild punch at Brent Tate that earned him a sin-binning during the first State of Origin match last Wednesday in Melbourne. Due to representative commitments, he has not appeared in first grade since being demoted to NSW Cup feeder side Windsor Wolves by Cleary earlier this month for drinking while injured on Anzac Day.

It is understood that was Jennings's third disciplinary breach, and while the club declined to note it as an official transgression - knowing that disciplining a player for having a beer on Anzac Day would be a bad look - they could terminate his contract as a result. The difficulty of ripping up contracts, though, and the likelihood of subsequent legal action from the sacked player, makes this a last-resort option for Penrith.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...or-jennings-20120528-1zfak.html#ixzz1wDpidg1F

Eight NRL clubs chasing exiled Penrith Panthers centre Michael Jennings but Phil Gould says Jennings will stay at club

EIGHT NRL clubs have secretly started negotiations to lure exiled centre Michael Jennings away from Penrith - but Panthers football boss Phil Gould says he knows nothing about it.

Gould last night flatly denied the Panthers were shopping around the club's highest paid player as the rugby league rumour mill went into overdrive that both South Sydney and Canterbury were keen to snap up the out-of-favour NSW three-quarter.

"I hear the same rumours you hear, and I have heard nothing from his management or Michael," Gould said.

"Michael was here at the club (Sunday night). We had a big function and he was with the players celebrating their win.

"Neither Michael or his management have approached me for a release. Neither Michael or his management have said anything to me about these rumours.

"I don't take any stock in rumours, I don't worry about it, simple as that. The situation is he is contracted here for another three years.

"He is out suspended at the moment, his next game will probably be for NSW and then he is back here for us.

"I haven't had any indication from his management that they are looking to move him or from Michael that he is looking to move."

Asked if he wanted Jennings to stay at Penrith, Gould said: "That is up to Michael, it is really up to Michael whether he wants to be here. I mean, he was dropped three weeks ago and since then he hasn't been available for Penrith.

"He was with the Origin (side) and he got suspended out of Origin so he is not available for us until the Warriors Monday week. It is up to the coaches then whether they play him or what they do with him, I don't make those decisions."

The Daily Telegraph understands that six clubs have already contacted Jennings' management company with two more expected to show interest this week. Although Jennings is still a Panther, the rival clubs are positioning themselves should Penrith suddenly announce Jennings is a free agent.

Canterbury were revealed as one interested party over the weekend with Souths and St George Illawarra also mooted on social forums.

Clubs are privately determining exactly how much they could pay Penrith to buy out Jennings' contract. Penrith may agree to a deal of about $300,000 - money that would then free-up their salary cap.

The Panthers would though have to pay the remainder of Jennings' deal, an amount far less than the original $650,000.

But Gould was adamant no pay-out scenario was being talked about at Penrith. "We've got absolutely no plans to move Michael Jennings," he said.

"His position in the first-grade side is between him and the coach. The coach made a decision three weeks ago to drop him and he went back and played for Windsor. From there he was selected for NSW. He wasn't available for the Cowboys game because of rep duty, he wasn't available for the Manly game because he was suspended. We've got a bye next weekend, he then probably plays for NSW the following week, it will be a while before he is even available for us."

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...michael-jennings/story-e6frexnr-1226370450890

Damn Journos have no idea!!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
lol its a bit like foran to dogs/manly. trex to dogs/eels/manly. these blokes keep making articles but same day the other says the opposite. useless ****s.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Michael was here at the club (Sunday night). We had a big function and he was with the players celebrating their win.
Lol, they have a big function for a win?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We should be securing Kasiano, Tapau and a bunch of other juniors before we even THINK of such a big name purchase....this squad has ample talent to win premierships, we have seen glimpses of that and will continue to see it more in good time. Anyone who says this current squad is not capable of winning a premiership has rocks in their heads imo. We are already seeing Des' influence with much improved defence, agression and creative ball promotion from our forwards...also in the way players like Reynolds and Keating keep coming on in leaps and bounds. If we land a few big name additions, fine, I won't complain. But if we go in to 2012 with a squad essentially unchanged from what it is now, I'll be very confident we can challenge....we might even give it a run this year. I have seen enough improvement to believe just about anything is possible with this team.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like our best option is to get our tier 1 players to play NSW CUP and get our tier 2 players to play First Grade instead...

Oh wait, forgot..Lett is gone now..we wont win any games

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Look as good as lafai is or how good our juniors are, let's face reality
If we want to win a comp, we need the likes of a trex, Jennings , Foran.
Dont agree.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct. I dont live my life on this forum
Implying that living one's life on the forum is the requirement to have read a particular post by MR SS in the past.

facepalm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.