Dogs hope Fahey can bring peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
FORMER NSW Premier and Bulldogs second-rower John Fahey has been parachuted into his embattled former club as a peacemaker in an attempt to bring its warring factions together.

Following a month of hostilities leading up to tomorrow's annual general meeting, Fahey, who was installed as World Anti-Doping Agency chairman last year, has accepted an appeal from frustrated Bulldogs chairman George Peponis to facilitate peace talks between the club's factions early next month.

Disgraced former media manager Chris O'Brien took a conciliatory step himself late yesterday when he released a statement apologising for engineering a smear campaign against director Ray Dib.

Peponis was set to inform the members of his ambitious move at tomorrow's meeting but released his speech to the Herald after a tidal wave of correspondence from fans disturbed at the toll the battle for Belmore is taking on the club.

"We need to get rid of the personality differences that are eating away at this club like a cancer," Peponis wrote. "We all know there has been entrenched acrimony between many revered figures in this place who, frankly, should be leading the way in building and bettering our club for the future. Instead we are destroying it … Petty jealousy and old divisions from long ago need to be consigned to the dustbin of history if this club is ever again to reach its potential."

Those factions clearly include the ticket of former players Graeme Hughes, Andrew Farrar, Barry Ward and Paul Dunn, who intend to oust the incumbent board and dump besieged chief executive Malcolm Noad, and have been unrepentant in their campaign in the lead-up to the elections.

While Peponis told the Herald last Saturday that he would find it difficult to work with Hughes, whom he is suing for defamation, he said he was also prepared to forget past grievances.

"I'm prepared to get in the same room as everyone else for the good of the club," Peponis said last night.

"How can anyone respect us if we don't have respect for one another? We're in danger of imploding, and the fans have reminded me this week about what I want to be remembered for as chairman. This is the most important issue facing the club right now, because if we don't do this [meet with Fahey], we'll just continue on as we have for the last three or four weeks."

The meeting wouldn't be open, including only "20 to 30 people from the relevant parties", Peponis said

O'Brien, who resigned on Wednesday night, insisted last night that he had acted independently when he decided to send journalists an email attempting to discredit Dib. The pair had mediation talks on Thursday.

"When I read the transcript of the ICAC hearing in which Ray Dib's name was mentioned, I naively and wrongly concluded that this reflected on his character," O'Brien said. "I acted spontaneously without consulting anyone - also completely out of character. Had I paused to reflect for a moment, I'm sure I would not have done what I did."
WHAT PEPONIS WILL SAY

"We need all of us to start pulling together for the good of the club. We need to stop bickering. We need to get rid of all the personality differences that are, frankly, eating away at this club like a cancer.

"With this in mind, I've spoken to John Fahey - a former player with the Bulldogs and a former premier of NSW, and a federal minister. I've asked him - and he's agreed - to facilitate a gathering in this club of the parties who have been in dispute in recent times.

"I won't list who they are but they know who they are. We all know there has been entrenched acrimony between many revered figures in this place who, frankly, should be leading the way in building and bettering our club for the future.

"Instead, we are destroying it. We will be bringing all of these factions and personalities together and, with John Fahey in the chair, we will seek to bury hatchets to draw commitment that the good of the club and everybody involved is the only thing we only need to concern ourselves with as individuals and as a group.

"Petty jealousy and old divisions from long ago need to be consigned to the dustbin of history if this club is ever again to get anywhere near its potential. We will hold that gathering in the first week of March and, frankly, I think it needs to be done on the basis that resolving the things that divide us is an imperative.

"Any individual who can't do that for the good of the club should simply move on. The bottom line is we can't have any more of the acrimony that has infected us in recent weeks and months."

* Previous page

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
This is a sign of things moving forward for the good of the club and that's a good thing... :grinning:

I'm glad to see that George is man enough to say he will try at least to work with those elected, regardless of who it is.... it shows he is putting the club first, and we all want that from our chairman.

I think regardless of what happens tomorrow, as fans of the club, we should support those elected 100%... because when it's all said and done, it doesn't matter who is on the board as such, as long as they are working for the good of the club and have the backing of it... if that happens, then we are well on the way to building the club back to it's former glory days... ;)

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i doubt George means it. who can work with a scum like Hughes. If the rival ticket wins u can bet on hell braking lose if not now in the future.

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
Whoever gets elected tomorrow...one thing I think MUST happen.....All members of the board must stand together, ina press conference or somethin and all commit publicly to working together. they owe it to the club, and fans. The press conference isn't for show or for teh papers its for us...who put our hard earned down to go see the games, buy teh memberships and merchandise and who cheer for them through all this crap year after year of bad publicity.
Then more importantly back up their words. At the end of the day the club is bigger than any issue, hatred or rivalry. If you cant comprimise then **** off. I look foward to my membership clearing so I can vote! Go the Dogs '08

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a sign of things moving forward for the good of the club and that's a good thing... :grinning:

I'm glad to see that George is man enough to say he will try at least to work with those elected, regardless of who it is.... it shows he is putting the club first, and we all want that from our chairman.

I think regardless of what happens tomorrow, as fans of the club, we should support those elected 100%... because when it's all said and done, it doesn't matter who is on the board as such, as long as they are working for the good of the club and have the backing of it... if that happens, then we are well on the way to building the club back to it's former glory days... ;)
Me too. Peponis is a great chairman and has the bulldogs at heart. He should work out differences, not implode it by releiving his position as chairman if Hughes ticket gets elected.

Getting off the topic a bit, but this John Fahey bloke has been around :p
Hes been a forward, a politician and now the World Anti-Doping Agency Chairman!!! Talk about career changes lol

Siggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kofi Annan?

Given the serious of the situation and the threat to world peace, I would prefer someone with more experience at handling this type of situation. It looks like the escalating Bulldogs crisis could lead to all-out war in the Middle East and a resurgence of violence in places like Afghanisatn and Kenya where Bulldogs fans have caused a lot of problems recently. We need someone who has got more specific experience.

My preference is for Kofi Annan. He seems to have a pretty good CV and I hear he's available and could also be 'parachuted in'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Annan

Deception_2112

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH some of the rival ticket willl get elected..
I just don't think Hughes will, Dib wil probably make it back in, this mishmash of board members might actually be good for the club, so long as Hughes isn't part of it

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind seeing farrar get in. Barry Ward has no fukin clue wat he's on about lol. Cant believe he said we should b worried bout our junior comps cuz were not performing/developing. FFS we made it to the finals of all the comps and were undefeated in HMats.

M

Mr Miyagi

John Fahey is awesome, no body ran NSW better than he did.
I hope he is offered a possition in the club, it would be a great boost.
But awesome news to hear he is involved in some way.

dogz06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
when the board gets elected to they have to swear an oath of some sort? If they do , then i hope that they all stick to it

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

if the club is to go forward they will have to work with one another. or there will be mayhem.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Hopefully someone independent like John Fahey can broker some deal because this bickering and fighting has to stop
if these people love the club the way they say they do, they will put a stop to this crap that is tearing the club apart.....

Status
Not open for further replies.