Dogs flyer Rona still pinching himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Curtis Rona credits the calming influence of Canterbury coach Des Hasler with his amazing rise up the NRL try-scoring ranks.
Rona leads the season's try-scoring list with 16 four-pointers in 14 games including four doubles.
While he was wowed crowds with his aerial skills and around-the-corner put-downs - including a particularly memorable effort against Penrith last weekend - just one year ago he was facing an uncertain future and was off-contract with North Queensland.
He says never in his wildest dreams did he think he would have so quickly established himself as the game's most prolific try-scorer and amongst its best wingers.
However after making a pre-season switch to Belmore he says he feels like he's found a home and it's largely thanks to Hasler.
"I didn't know what was going to happen," Rona said.
"It's hard to predict with football, you could be anywhere in six weeks.
"I just put my best foot forward and I knew coming to this club how proud and how great it is and with Des and all the other boys here that it's a world-class team.
"I just knew I made the right decision and I never looked back."
After debuting for North Queensland last season he managed just seven games in his first year before signing a two-year deal with the Bulldogs.
It's easy to forget that the 23-year-old is just 21 games into his career.
He says little pressure was applied to him by Hasler upon his arrival and that was showing in his footy.
"I think he's moulded me over the pre-season," he said.
"He's let me do what I do best and really given me time to build into a new team. He hasn't pressured me in any way.
"But he's really calm when it comes down to it and if you get the one-per-centers right and know your role then everything falls into
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28537205/dogs-flyer-rona-still-pinching-himself/

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Who would've thought that so far he's the better buy out of himself and Brett Morris?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My $50 @34/1 i put on him at start of season to be nrl top try scorer is looking good

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have to be honest, when we were rumoured to be signing rona I didn't comment cause most seemed happy,
I thought nothing of him at the time,

So glad I was wrong and so glad I didn't post what I was thinking at the time,
Omg the embarrassment if it was quoted lol,

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still hasn't made the Kiwi test side, he really deserves it!

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wouldn't look out of place in an Origin jersey if he was eligible/interested, the guy's a freak.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why shouldn't this guy be picked on the wing for N.Z at the end of the year?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm still pinching myself that we've got a top Winger.

Never thought I'd see the day after dealing with Goodwin, Wright, Brown and co.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is quickly becoming a favorite of mine along with Klemmer. That try against Penrith was amazing!!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember some people on the Kennel had never heard of him and where wondering what to expect.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who would've thought that so far he's the better buy out of himself and Brett Morris?
He and BMoz would have 16 tries each if he didn't do his hammy.

I'm frothing at the thought of a fully fit BMoz at the back after his first few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.