Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Dogs drop the plot, and Ryan acknowledges the errors of their ways
Greg Prichard
April 11, 2011

A BITTERLY disappointed Andrew Ryan trudged off the sodden SCG turf yesterday after his Canterbury side had been crushed by St George Illawarra in the pouring rain, knowing his Bulldogs had never given themselves a chance of beating the premiers.

With the scores at 15-6 and the Bulldogs pressing, Dragons fullback Darius Boyd intercepted a pass and raced the length of the field to score to virtually kill off the game. When asked whether a Bulldogs try at that moment would have changed the course of the match, the Dogs skipper wasn't too sure.

''Yeah, but I think we just gave them too many opportunities from the get-go in the second half,'' he said. ''We were coming out of trouble, but on play one, or two, or three, we dropped the ball or made other errors, and against the best team in the competition you can't do that.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''We got ourselves back in the game there and we were coming home a bit, but again we made a bit of an error, and they scored down the other end of the field. It was a pretty big play but we didn't help ourselves throughout the 80 minutes.

''I'm extremely disappointed. We prepared well, we had a good week at training but it was just those individual errors, and I put my hand up, you know. I made plenty out there, too. In the first half, in attacking opportunities, we made errors, and you see over and over again with the Dragons - they love that. As soon as you make errors, they make you pay, and they certainly did that today.''

The Bulldogs were the only unbeaten team in the competition after three rounds but they have since lost two in a row - against Melbourne and yesterday the Dragons.

The game was an opportunity for the Dogs to bounce back from their loss to the Storm and test themselves against the competition favourites, but after trailing 9-0 at half-time and 15-0 in the second half, it was always going to be hard for them.

Canterbury coach Kevin Moore said he felt his team had done well enough in the first half to show they could give the Dragons a run for their money but had shot themselves in the foot when it mattered.

''I thought we rolled our sleeves up pretty well, and earned the right,'' he said. ''And we got a penalty and then a couple of errors off them, and I thought we had done enough to get a couple of opportunities up their end of the field. But, unlike them, who are so good that if they do get an opportunity they often turn it into points, we turned it into mistakes.

''We're doing a lot of groundwork, but not getting the results from it because of poor execution and poor ball control.''

Dragons left centre Matt Cooper scored two tries, beating the defence of centre Jamal Idris in the process. Moore agreed it had been a tough afternoon for Idris but said it was no different for the rest of the team.

''We started the comp excellent, and in both our losses there were some things to be liked and also some lessons to be learned,'' Moore said. ''You've got to learn your lesson quickly in this game at this level.''

LeagueHQ

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
How about using some common sense when protecting the ball as you are about to get tackled. This crap of holding it at the level where a shoulder will knock it out happened how many times?

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Dropped out pants, along with our pride.

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
i just wanna know what they do at training everyday did we learn anything
from last week....? i guess not
we were flat in attack and know it was wet and it does change most teams game plans or just ours
but we had no game plan no set moves we had nothing it was just one out stuff was like watching kids play men
i hate being critical about our team but watching them getting monster'ed in attack
and basically getting gang raped every time we ran the ball up we ran 5 meters when we held the ball
and got pushed back 10
what happened to the team that played souths,tigers, and roosters we had a few set moves maybe they
didn't work every time we tried them but at least we tried them our backs were getting deep the forwards were kinda getting deep and running onto the ball 'sometimes' and bending there line where has that gone.....?
in deffence we were moving up in a line getting in there face's causing the other teams to make errors
last week and yesterday we waited for them to come to us and we would just slide across the field some would move up the rest would just stand there like pot plants both melbourne and st george would make 60 meters + every time they had the ball in attack
what the f... has changed in 2 weeks of football for us...?

p.s
im sorry if i offend anyone or the team and coach with this post but i just needed to voice my frustration

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion. You cant please everyone all the time. saying that I would have to agree with what you say.
"what the f...has changed in 2 weeks of football for us..?"
Apart from the obvious..... 1. Bellamy 2. Bennett
I know it might sound like coach beating but to me it looks like a team without any passion which is needed behind every tackle and run with the ball. This passion has to build up from the first training session and be instilled right up to and including on the paddock come gameday. Call it passion call it agression...whatever... it is missing on the day.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we are not strongly in the top 4 at the halfway mark Kevin Moore must go.
The defense coach must go now. The team was not in anyones face, and was not by any means pushing the Dragons back.
Dogs of War??? More like Dogs of the UN and we all know how **** they are.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
been hearing this, we let them get to a to big lead. YEH mate we know this crap, why not do something about it!!!

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dogs got out of jail in the first two rounds but were caught flat footed once again on Sunday. If they continue to lag behind the advantage line in defence instead of moving up quickly iand putting the offence under pressure they will continue to get steamrolled. Simple physics. If the tackler is not moving forward when they meet the attacker coming at them they will get easily forced back up the field.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
dogs have have no speed off the line against better teams,you snooze standing back you lose. first things under 7s are taught 1 tackle low, 2 hold the ball. until the players do this were no chance

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
our forward need to be more aggresive... run harder, and tackle harder.. they are in second gear at times.... Paea and especially Pritchard need to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.