Not open for further replies.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Dogs bid to keep Sonny Bill

By Brent Read and Margie McDonald

December 13, 2006

THE Bulldogs could table their opening bid for Sonny Bill Williams as early as next week at a scheduled meeting between the New Zealand star's management and club officials.

Williams' manager Chris Orr confirmed talks would take place with the Bulldogs on Monday and he was hopeful the club would make an official offer to extend his deal, which expires at the end of the 2007 season.

Orr also moved to head off speculation linking Williams with the Australian Rugby Union, saying he and his brother Gavin would meet rugby officials today to discuss all their players who are coming off contract.

Orr said the meeting was not specifically convened to talk about the very talented Williams.

Williams is without doubt Orr's most prized client and his future has prompted a flurry of recent speculation linking him with a number of NRL clubs, most notably the Sydney Roosters.

However, his preference remains to stay at Belmore, the club which prepared him for his first-grade debut in 2004.

"We're hoping that something will come forward on Monday," Orr said.

Asked whether Williams' preference was to remain with the Bulldogs, Orr said: "We have always said that ... but it all depends on them.

"It's what sort of package they can manage and whether it's right for Sonny. If we can't get an acceptable package out of the Bulldogs then things change."

Under changes to NRL guidelines, which resulted in the scrapping of the June 30 anti-tampering deadline, rival clubs can hold talks with Williams and his management but a deal cannot be concluded before round 13 next year (in mid-June).

NSW and Australia prop Mark O'Meley will also come off contract at Belmore next spring and he continues to be linked with Cronulla.

But Williams is a trump at Belmore and his status led to reports yesterday that the ARU was a potential employer.

The ARU has targeted several big-name rugby league players in recent seasons including Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Wendell Sailor.

Sailor is serving a two-year ban, having tested positive to cocaine, while Rogers is likely to return to the NRL next season with Gold Coast.

Rogers rang the ARU yesterday seeking a meeting about winding up his $500,000 per year contract, which still has a year to run. A meeting has been organised for tomorrow.

www.foxsports.com.au

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have absolutely no confidence in signings.

I could hear anything from Word of mouth, the Telegraph or any other source of advertisement, and i will not believe.

When he has put pen to paper, then i shall believe it. THere is no certain way you can be confident, espicially with Gay Orr as his manager.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I got a bad feeling we are going to lose both, the best we can do is keep one of them.

If it was up to me, id piss Hughes and Perry off and just split the money with Shrek and SBW

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well lets look at this logically. We lost Asotasi, Myles, Irvine, Conn, Small and Czisloski. We have gained about 5 PL/FG players, who i wound give no more then 50 k, Same as Holdsworth.

I think we should have a little something under the cay, say 100k. At the same time, we have to re-sign juniors who may of developed (Like Holdsworth did), and also keep some of our more senior players (SBW, Shrek and Hazem).

Ill put it this way.. Thank GOD im not Bulldogs management!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this time last year i was questioning why we spent so much money on an injury prone player

but now i want them to throw more money at him

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
LOL If we get rid of those mofos I dont think any club would want to touch them, especially Perry.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I know, I have been calling for those dud's heads since 2005.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
lets hope they go how sad if we keep either of em & loose SBW or Shrek the dogs coaching staff & management need to be shoot if that happens

Anastabation

Reaction score
LOL If we get rid of those mofos I dont think any club would want to touch them, especially Perry.
I reckon Hughes and Perry could provide a dynamic combination at Wynnum Manly along with Ben Czislowski. I basically live in queensland myself, and lets just say watching Ben has inspired me to such an extent that I now feel I could excell in the Queensland Cup.

Supremacy

Maz's Superman
Reaction score
Bulldogs should let Sonny and Omeley go and sign bobby Lashley and maybe brock lesnar. :p

H

Haztrick

I have great confidence in our management. I think we can definatly re-sign the majority of our off contract players, especially since the cap has risen and we have lost Asotasi, Grimaldi and Myles aswell as some juniors that would have been on 40-50k each.

Our management team did a great job in '06 and I have every confidence they can do the same job in '07.

As far as Williams is concerned, I reckon we offer him th same money he is on now with a guaranteed starting spot in the 17 and that should keep him happy. I think even Orr would admit that even though they could get Sonny more money elsewhere, he doesn't deserve an upgrade in price.

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
cant be bothered readin it..........im just goin to wait until the contracts are signed

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
it will be hard to piss off hughes since folksey was the one that wanted hughes to stay at belmore...

perry can go... he has put on a fair bit of weight since 05 and has gone even slower... he may as well head back down to junee and play for canberra...

Status
Not open for further replies.