Official Dogs 2023 Attack Currently better than the Roosters

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Is Preston really that good though?

Dotn get me wrong I think he is good value for money and first grada material but ninjas up in here always make him out to be Steve Menzies.
He missed a simple try yesterday and still got the 3 points from everyone. It’s like he’s the golden child can do no wrong.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It wasn’t the defensive structure conceding those soft tries from dummy half, both were caused by an obvious lack of strength….the Willison try from Broncos, he saw Topine and Morrin in the line and he backed his size and strength over them and won…
Morrin wasn’t even covering the line. There was just no situational awareness from him.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not saying it’s not. But he’s not alone our goal line defence is disgusting and it’s not just one player. A lot are not up to NRL standard.
Kiraz and Sexton missed a simple miss for try 2.
Morrin for the 15 to score from dummy half are a couple of examples from yesterday.
I agree bro, I also don’t think Kiraz is a centre. Sexton is a known bad defender. I think constantly being on the back foot because of our soft middle doesn’t help.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Nah. I couldn't stand watching the terrible footy we played under Barrett. I'd rather lose 50-20 than 30-0.
Disagree. Would rather see some actual effort and defense being played from a side rather than see some garbage time points being scored. It shows the players care if they at least try on defense which is what’s important. These players right now, most of them do not care at all

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Disagree. Would rather see some actual effort and defense being played from a side rather than see some garbage time points being scored. It shows the players care if they at least try on defense which is what’s important. These players right now, most of them do not care at all
Bit harsh to say that most players don’t care. I think a fair chunk are not first graders or are benchy/depth players playing big minutes outside their capabilities.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bit harsh to say that most players don’t care. I think a fair chunk are not first graders or are benchy/depth players playing big minutes outside their capabilities.
They literally do not give a shit and Burton is the worst of them all. Walking out of marker, playing horrible arm grabbing defense, making embarrassing lazy reads, ghosting on his edge contributing fuckall to help around the field followed by a nothing high ball every kick. Should send a message and drop him this week because it’s probably deserved imo

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn’t the defensive structure conceding those soft tries from dummy half, both were caused by an obvious lack of strength….the Willison try from Broncos, he saw Topine and Morrin in the line and he backed his size and strength over them and won…
No, I think it's was structural.
What he saw was a gap between the markers and a worried look or anticipation from Morrin to slide to the lead runner on the play the ball.

Even Sam Walker would have scored that try.

Our marker defence is appalling as is our ability to roll off tackles and get into marker.

Been a problem for many years now. JMK was good at stopping and Reed is good at spotting it, but you can't have just 1 bloke. The whole team and in particular the middles need to be in the same page.

I lay blame in the coaching staff for both technique and monitoring fatigue levels

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not singing Ciraldo any praises here, but Barrett had a head coaching stint with a strong roster at Manly before he came to us. He did shit there too, but the point is it wasn't his first dance with us.

I don't know what methods Ciraldo has up his sleeve to improve the defence, but it is the first year where he's the one in the hot seat. I'm far from impressed with losing by half a century, but it is a fresh start next year. If we aren't drastically better I'll get aggro then. It's been pretty disruptive to have the injury toll we've copped. We've had a couple of losses that wouldn't have been losses if the refs didn't screw us. And now I think that fatigue has set in hard with a lot of reserve grade players having had to step up into a far more demanding and fast paced level of competition.

So not excusing the losses. But I'm not ready to write off Ciraldo just yet.
No one should be writing off Ciraldo...

* Our top 30 is weak as piss compared to most other sides.
* Our middle third is piss weak, been over this previously regarding the loss of Jackson and Vaughan, coupled with Thompson injury.

Only thing people have rights to be angry with Ciraldo is Perham at FB, Okunbur the high IQ superstar forward. Other than that he's doing the best he can with a pack of retards that can't tackle...

I'm same as you, happy to cop it until 24' hopefully no injuries occur, no COVID distractions, no world cup either so should be the best pre season the club has had in a long time.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not singing Ciraldo any praises here, but Barrett had a head coaching stint with a strong roster at Manly before he came to us. He did shit there too, but the point is it wasn't his first dance with us.

I don't know what methods Ciraldo has up his sleeve to improve the defence, but it is the first year where he's the one in the hot seat. I'm far from impressed with losing by half a century, but it is a fresh start next year. If we aren't drastically better I'll get aggro then. It's been pretty disruptive to have the injury toll we've copped. We've had a couple of losses that wouldn't have been losses if the refs didn't screw us. And now I think that fatigue has set in hard with a lot of reserve grade players having had to step up into a far more demanding and fast paced level of competition.

So not excusing the losses. But I'm not ready to write off Ciraldo just yet.
That's a well balanced response and I very much agree with you.

I've always said you have to give these new coaches a full year and first 10 rounds of 2nd year to show something of an improvement.

The issue CC has is that this year looks to be no better than last and so he'll have the pre-season and next year's 10 rounds to turn it around.

He actually has about 6 rounds next year coz I'll be calling for his head if things are still shit and expect action from the club.
by round 10

I don't care how long his contracted for....

Malla

Reaction score
No one should be writing off Ciraldo...

* Our top 30 is weak as piss compared to most other sides.
* Our middle third is piss weak, been over this previously regarding the loss of Jackson and Vaughan, coupled with Thompson injury.

Only thing people have rights to be angry with Ciraldo is Perham at FB, Okunbur the high IQ superstar forward. Other than that he's doing the best he can with a pack of retards that can't tackle...

I'm same as you, happy to cop it until 24' hopefully no injuries occur, no COVID distractions, no world cup either so should be the best pre season the club has had in a long time.
You can sort of see why he chose Perham at fullback over Averillo this last 2 weeks though.
While Avo has been huge in attack, his communication in defence is poor. Broncos were down a man and looked like they had a 2 man advantage, the amount of times we were outnumbered on each edge was worrying, this comes down to fullback communicating with the line on where defenders should go. Sounds harsh, but its a huge part of the job. I was also pretty shitty at Perham playing fullback, but its a bit clearer now why this had to happen otherwise we get flogged by 60 every week from round 1.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Is Preston really that good though?

Dotn get me wrong I think he is good value for money and first grada material but ninjas up in here always make him out to be Steve Menzies.
C'mon man.
He's been the most consistent, one of the top performers in both attack and defence and has lifted the team with his effort plays even when losing.

By far out best player and may get NRL rookie of the year in a team that probably deserves the spoon.

Don't be surprised if he is edging SOO selection next year.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Many have been saying there is an attitude problem. Who is the team psychologist? Does the team even have one? During the Dolphins game the comms named the bloke sitting next to Skeletor as the "sports psychologist" that has been with him since the beginning.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2024 Premiers! [emoji3526]

2004, 2014 (Boo), 2024
You can go back further, fam.

1984 (YAY!), 1994 (boo!), 2004 (YAY!), 2014 (boo!), 2024 (It better be fucking Yay or shits gonna fly!)

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You can sort of see why he chose Perham at fullback over Averillo this last 2 weeks though.
While Avo has been huge in attack, his communication in defence is poor. Broncos were down a man and looked like they had a 2 man advantage, the amount of times we were outnumbered on each edge was worrying, this comes down to fullback communicating with the line on where defenders should go. Sounds harsh, but its a huge part of the job. I was also pretty shitty at Perham playing fullback, but its a bit clearer now why this had to happen otherwise we get flogged by 60 every week from round 1.
100% this. Gus' comments about he's not a fullback but our best communicator didn't make sense to me till the past fortnight.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can't understand why Avo couldnt be coached to communicate like a fullback tho :(

Malla

Reaction score
Can't understand why Avo couldnt be coached to communicate like a fullback tho :(
Agree. I doubt it helps him when we change our halves every couple of months and his position changes with it too.

Big loss either way for us. The ironic thing to it all (in my opinion) is we recruited Burton who is suited as a centre, Avo was tried in all positions except the position that he would excel most at based on his skillset (5/8).

Still happy for him that he's found a club and he will excel at the Dolphins whatever his role is. I am sure Bennett will be clear and consistent with his position and what his job is week to week.