News Dogs’ face $1m problem: Every club’s biggest selection headache

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who partners Matt Burton in the halves?

On the evidence of the Bulldogs’ trial forms two things are clear in that Matt Burton will be a revelation for the club at five-eighth, but he can’t lead the attack all on his own.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett seems intent on persisting with makeshift halfback Jake Averillo in the No.7 jersey despite it not being his natural position.

On the surface it appears that Kyle Flanagan’s game would be a better match for Burton, who joined the club on a two-year deal worth around $500,000 a season, in that he can cover the kicking and organising and leave the former Panthers star to use his dangerous running and passing game.

However Flanagan seems on the outer and arguably the best performed half aside form Burton in the trials was Brandon Wakeham, but Barrett needs someone to stand up or it will be another long season for last year’s wooden spooners.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanagan couldn't organise a root in a brothel, let alone steer a FG side around the paddock. He was shafted by the Rorters who as much as we hate them, are one of the best-run clubs with arguably the best coach in the competition. How does the saying go? If it smells like shit everywhere you go...

The problem I see in Averillo's game, is that he's only ever looking at the current play, the current tackle. It's what separates the average halves from the great/ elite halves. Cleary or Adam Reynolds will get his forwards attacking towards a specific point on the field, look for a quick PTB then unleash Latrell/ Cody Walker down the left edge. Averillo basically floats around the forwads and backs hoping for an offload, otherwise just passes to the bloke next to him, then looks to make something happen on 5th with a set defensive line and teammates that have no idea what he's about to do. Add in his defence has looked shocking this preseason and we've got a big issue with the 7 jersey that can't be fixed by Burton's brilliance alone. This is what Baz called out after the Knights trial and needs to address - it's as much on him as it is on Averillo - he was a former half himself, he needs to be able to teach these skills into his halves and give them the confidence to take the team by the balls and make it his own.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baz is walking a tight rope without a safety net by persisting playing his favourites. If the team loses the opening two rounds of the season looking at our draw we could potentialy end up being 0-8 the first two months in. What's Baz going to do when everyone start howling for his head. For Gods sake Baz start picking the side on merit, not by name or popularity. For Gods sake drop Knockonmore for a start.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem I see in Averillo's game, is that he's only ever looking at the current play, the current tackle. It's what separates the average halves from the great/ elite halves. Cleary or Adam Reynolds will get his forwards attacking towards a specific point on the field, look for a quick PTB then unleash Latrell/ Cody Walker down the left edge. Averillo basically floats around the forwads and backs hoping for an offload, otherwise just passes to the bloke next to him, then looks to make something happen on 5th with a set defensive line and teammates that have no idea what he's about to do. Add in his defence has looked shocking this preseason and we've got a big issue with the 7 jersey that can't be fixed by Burton's brilliance alone. This is what Baz called out after the Knights trial and needs to address - it's as much on him as it is on Averillo - he was a former half himself, he needs to be able to teach these skills into his halves and give them the confidence to take the team by the balls and make it his own.
It's been a while since I saw Barrett play, but I don't recall him ever being an "organising 1/2" he was hard running 5/8. My recollections are that Hornby was the "organising 1/2" when Barrett played.

Always a Bulldog

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, Flanno is our best fit at 7 until BBO matures. I'd give him 6 games to gel. He just might surprise us all. Righto all you Flanno haters, give it to me. I can take it.
Water pistols at 5 paces :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Barrett is not the hard nosed experienced coach we need at this point in our rebuild. Maybe Gus can re-set Baz' agenda and assist him to "see the light" with selections, tactics, basics and game plan and Gus might give the team some confidence to lift.

Our fortunes, nor Baz's, are not going to miraculously change unless there is some sort of intervention. Otherwise its more of the same excuses and directionless outcomes as 2021, and another long season ahead in 2022.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gus won’t stand for this & his baydots are on the line…. I’d bet anything that T Baz has been hauled into the office & given a spray!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many times have we seen a defender jam up on Flanno when he tries to link up with the backs and he just submits because he plays like a robot and can't play whats in front of him?

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's been a while since I saw Barrett play, but I don't recall him ever being an "organising 1/2" he was hard running 5/8. My recollections are that Hornby was the "organising 1/2" when Barrett played.

Always a Bulldog
I personally never rated him as a player - he reminded me of a Brent Finch that could tackle. Bunch of inside balls and an average kicking game. Just had longevity because he was always in immaculate shape but he was never the reason why the Dragons went well.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many times have we seen a defender jam up on Flanno when he tries to link up with the backs and he just submits because he plays like a robot and can't play whats in front of him?
That is a problem with him, so predictable

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is not the hard nosed experienced coach we need at this point in our rebuild. Maybe Gus can re-set Baz' agenda and assist him to "see the light" with selections, tactics, basics and game plan and Gus might give the team some confidence to lift.

Our fortunes, nor Baz's, are not going to miraculously change unless there is some sort of intervention. Otherwise its more of the same excuses and directionless outcomes as 2021, and another long season ahead in 2022.
Think it was Finukines interview talking about Cronulla coach's line on hard nosed defence, we have. no hard lines and no defence.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, Flanno is our best fit at 7 until BBO matures. I'd give him 6 games to gel. He just might surprise us all. Righto all you Flanno haters, give it to me. I can take it.
I refuse to get angry, he has zero!

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who partners Matt Burton in the halves?

On the evidence of the Bulldogs’ trial forms two things are clear in that Matt Burton will be a revelation for the club at five-eighth, but he can’t lead the attack all on his own.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett seems intent on persisting with makeshift halfback Jake Averillo in the No.7 jersey despite it not being his natural position.

On the surface it appears that Kyle Flanagan’s game would be a better match for Burton, who joined the club on a two-year deal worth around $500,000 a season, in that he can cover the kicking and organising and leave the former Panthers star to use his dangerous running and passing game.

However Flanagan seems on the outer and arguably the best performed half aside form Burton in the trials was Brandon Wakeham, but Barrett needs someone to stand up or it will be another long season for last year’s wooden spooners.
Averillo seemed more comfortable v Sharks trial but surely we can't persist with him for now in coming games we should atleast be competitive and have direction with sets. Let him keep developing as 7 but in training and reserves, find his voice and game awareness.
Flanagan and Wakeham aren't any worse, Flanagan is actually a presence on the field. These boys need some confidence with plenty of losses even Burton will become the same.
Flanagan has qualities you'd want in a halfback he just needs to relax and put less pressure on himself, not think about the overall game just focus on little goals like repeat sets, coach's tactics on sets, field positioning from forwards runs for the kick , etc. Just keep it simple, even boring repeat sets, then backs or Burton will find a break or Dufty work off a Max King offload when he pops on.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We're playing around not having a genuine halfback. Averillo is just catch and passing to Burton or Dufty and they do the killer ball. If Averillo sees something he can run. Burton will be doing most of the 5th tackle options, kicking or running. The other day was honestly all caused because of discipline and defence. Flanagan is finished, the media need to come to that realisation.