Doggies facing shake-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Haztrick

Doggies facing shake-up
By Josh Massoud
December 01, 2007 12:00am

A SEASON of turbulence at Belmore will reach breaking point over the next two months, with a record number of candidates standing for February's board election.

Illustrating the depth of discontent over the club's performance in 2007, there was a total of 18 nominations received by yesterday's 4pm deadline.

Seven of the nominees are members of the current nine-man board, which The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands is split in two factions that are unlikely to run on a single re-election ticket.
Their fate rests in the hand of around 600 voting members.

Chairman George Peponis is assured of continuing after no-one challenged him for the top job yesterday, while director Peter Winchester will stand down to concentrate on his duties as president of the Leagues Club.

Among the challengers are former Bulldogs stars Graeme Hughes, Andrew Farrar and Paul Dunn. The trio, who all helped the club to premierships in the 1980s, decided to run after enduring long-held reservations about the current board's failure to retain the likes of Johnathan Thurston and Roy Asotasi, as well as their handling of the Willie Mason affair.

Hughes, in particular has been a vocal critic of the club's sacking of his brother Gary after the Coffs Harbour scandal and their decision to fine nephew Corey $10,000 for brawling two years ago.

"My other brother Mark has also walked away as recruitment manager and taken Roy Asotasi and Isaac Luke with him to Souths,'' Hughes said. "I know there's tough decisions to be made, but surely they can't keep getting them all wrong.''

Several Bulldogs sources believe Hughes' eventual ambition is to succeed Malcolm Noad as CEO, and it is understood the radio commentator previously offered the club his services for a six-figure salary.

"The CEO position is not in my thoughts at the moment,'' Hughes said. "I'm concentrating on the board.''

The long list of contenders also includes current club coaching staff, namely retired prop Barry Ward and Philip Charlton. Their former colleagues Paul Tycehurst, who stood down as juniors boss this year, and ex-referee Greg Hartley have also thrown their hats into the ring.

A group of little-known supporters including Mark Byrnes, Gabi Dagher, Susan Eastman and Robert Picone round out the record field. Peponis conceded the larger-than-usual list was a reflection of the club's current situation.

"I hope all of them are people who have an interest in helping the club,'' Peponis told The Saturday Daily Telegraph. "The number of nominees probably reflects some dissatisfaction from some quarters, but there are a lot of people who put their name up who believe in what the current board has done.

"All I want to stress is that when they get inside the boardroom, I hope that any differences stay outside the boardroom. People shouldn't nominate for their own agendas.''

But according to other directors, there has been little harmony within the current board since June.
Some more established directors are understood to be opposed to their newly-elected counterpart Ray Dib.

One insider said: "A few of them were a bit comfortable and they haven't appreciated the way Ray has shaken the place up.''

H

Haztrick

I'll admit that I don't know much regarding Graeme Hughes, but I do know that a lot of people hate him. Can anyone please explain to me his current situation and what he has done? Thanks.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
tbh he hasnt done 2 much, he's just been bagging the board over what happened 2 his brother which i think he has a right to, and other affairs with the way the board has handled player retention which anyone has a right to i suppose.

I just dont like the hughes family period lol

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Graeme Hughes is a former player who as Hansta said is highly critical of the board for shafting most of his family out of the club, and recently for the treatment of Corey in recent times.

He runs a pretty decent radio show on 2SM and has a good opinion on things, but I still wouldn't have him on the board, not so much because I don't like him, but because I don't him as being 100% committed ATM.

He was planning to go to South Sydney and help out his brother Mark who is the recruiting manager a few months back, not sure what happened there but it seems the deal fell through, as he's now running for board of the Bulldogs.

Unfortunately, I don't know much more than this, but hopefully someone can shed some light for me and everyone else as to what happened with Hughesy going to Souths... ;)

H

Haztrick

Thanks fine, thanks for the info.

From what you've said, it seems he may be out for redemption. I probably wouldn't want him on the board. He might try and destroy the club that shafted his family. Plus if he's on the board we'll have to put up with Corey for another 10 years :p

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
dont forget Steven and Glen Hughes coming out of retirement :p

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
dont forget Steven and Glen Hughes coming out of retirement :p
LOL Hani, do you remember how long those two were playing for the club because of Garry... :p

For those who don't remember, Steven and Glen were playing in the Reserve Grade side in their 30's, one was actually captain for 2 years from memory, with no chance of making FG at that stage, just because Garry wouldn't allow the club to get rid of them... it was the biggest joke you've ever seen... I just had to laugh at it...:o

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
yeah it was so laughable seeing those 2 play in reserve grade. They had a bit of talent back when they were younger but there was no way they would have been signed up if it werent 4 connections.

Deception_2112

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Grahame Hughes enters the board..we'd have to keep Corey Hughes for a while and that is definitely unacceptable, his nephew is pathetic for a modern day and age hooker.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Willie Mason affair was handled very poorly in that it was left to be dealt with at the end of the season, when offences were occuring during the season.

If he had committed so many offenses during the season why weren't they dealt with at the time, rather than allowed to snowball?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Im just wondering if Al C will still be contending for his position

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

great to have a shake out now and then gets rid of the deadwood.

Country Dog

Mortimer
Reaction score
I don't understand Paul Dunn running for the board, he walked away from Canterbury after the 88 Premiership for more cash and he was CEO of Souths in their struggling years wasn't he?

Hidden agenda

Bring on Robbo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Paul Dunn would make a great CEO. What happen at souths I would not hold against him as anyone who opposed George Piggins was always shown the door. Steve Price left after the 2004 premiership for money but I would welcome Steve back with open arms just as I would support Paul Dunn for a seat on the board.

Smiley

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mr ' don't pick on my family boo hoo' can piss off and keep his nepatistic hands off our club.

Country Dog

Mortimer
Reaction score
Paul Dunn would make a great CEO. What happen at souths I would not hold against him as anyone who opposed George Piggins was always shown the door. Steve Price left after the 2004 premiership for money but I would welcome Steve back with open arms just as I would support Paul Dunn for a seat on the board.
Paul Dunn never captained our club and he walked out of our club in tough times, unlike Steve Price who saw it through to the end of 04.

Status
Not open for further replies.