Opinion Doesn’t matter who the half back is

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You are right, with Tbaz is in charge even a top class half will flop (DCE) at Manly for example.

Malla

Reaction score
Not if they dont have players punching through the line and running the right lines....we lack potency through the edges and in the centres
Good half gets players in position and demands that run the right lines

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
who would we have replace barret tho? do you seriously think shane would take the job

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good half gets players in position and demands that run the right lines
Not really. Halves aren't there to micromanage the players around them but rather fine tune things. It's clear we aren't getting this right at training.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
who would we have replace barret tho? do you seriously think shane would take the job
Why not? His other options are the Tigers and overseas. His son's already here.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The attack is broken and I’ll be surprised if it can be fixed mid season. BAZ wasted an entire off season building and attack that was designed for Penriths players. Josh Jackson for Yeo, Waddell for Kickau, JMK for Api, anyone for To’o, Anyone for Crichton,, Anyone for Cleary.

It won’t matter who is our 7 imo, ffs Burton is a star and hasn’t had a try assist if I can recall. Our only attacking option is his bomb! Lofl

We scored 5 tries. One from dummy half, one off a kick, and 3 with defenders tackling us over the line. Can you recall an actual clean line break from a play where we cut straight through the defensw. Our tries in the trials were similar.

You need great defense and a spine to win a comp but you can’t win games without attack. This will most likely be be one the great underachieving years in memory. TBAZ gone by June
A good half to go with the new hooker we have coming is exactly what we need since our biggest issue is being organised. They are the top 2 organising positions in the side.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For everyone saying a half is the issue. Most of the time JJ is at first receiver in the attacking zone anyway. So it’s a structural issue, and we playing with almost 3 5/8s (dufty)
Granted, this could be cause we dont have a good 7. Not working though

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Btw we absolutely missed a trick by not recruiting Townsend when he was cheap last year.
Nasheed used to say it.
look now, he’s the form organisational half of the competition.
Yes he signed with the cowboys for ethnic money but that offer came in late. We could have had him for 450.
Lol Townsend isn’t much better than what we have. He is probably worth your quoted 450 but he was never signing for that. He is on $800k a year at the Cows. Way overs for him.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Lol Townsend isn’t much better than what we have. He is probably worth your quoted 450 but he was never signing for that. He is on $800k a year at the Cows. Way overs for him.
That’s how it panned out for him in the end, but when Nasheed mentioned it he was not being offered anything at the time and we could have had him cheap as he first said it 2020 I think

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jmk is the start of our problems! Bad service from dummy half

Teachers pet
Yep 100%. Because the modern game is so fast it is absolutely critical to have a quick thinking hooker with super sharp accurate passing from dummy half. A hooker that knows when to run, when to pass, who to pass to and which side to pass to. It’s the hookers job in the modern game to get your forwards on the front foot, instigate momentum and communicate well with the halves. The modern day hooker needs to be really busy in the middle and can make the right decisions on the go without too much thought. While I do like JMK for his efforts and tries hard, he is just not a hooker and will never be. Your whole teams attack starts from the dummy half, if that is failing then the whole attack will fail. It is the most important position on the field.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep 100%. Because the modern game is so fast it is absolutely critical to have a quick thinking hooker with super sharp accurate passing from dummy half. A hooker that knows when to run, when to pass, who to pass to and which side to pass to. It’s the hookers job in the modern game to get your forwards on the front foot, instigate momentum and communicate well with the halves. The modern day hooker needs to be really busy in the middle and can make the right decisions on the go without too much thought. While I do like JMK for his efforts and tries hard, he is just not a hooker and will never be. Your whole teams attack starts from the dummy half, if that is failing then the whole attack will fail. It is the most important position on the field.
Cam Smith showed how important position is. Bellamy letting B Smith go, and throwing kitchen sink at Grant reinforces this also.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Halfbacks do matter in every facet of the game !
The hooker's direction distribution and speed makes the team's life a lot easier especially the halfbacks !
We haven't had a good hooker for 7 years, are you still wondering why our attack has been so bad ???
Our attack is worse than when we had Dean pay with a significantly worse spine. We need a 9 and 7 (and would improve with one) but my point is a that we’d still be atrocious in this system

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope Kyle has got some confidence back and he plays well. If we can get him and his mental right then Mahoney next year will elevate him even more. We need to support the kid. Yes he wasn’t the best last year but now we have a strong forward pack and a superstar 6 let’s see how he goes. Think about it. If he kills it remainder of the year and with Reed coming next year there’s our 679 for years. They’re all very young. Let’s get behind him and cheer him in this week.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m not sure the problem is in our halves. From what I’ve seen over the previous three years the problem has manifested in our forwards. When I continually see our forwards take three out of five hit ups (and sometimes four) in attacking positions then our opportunity to score is severely limited.

Regardless who that halves are, Barrett should be making them stand on milk crates before the team runs out, pointing to them while telling the rest of the team that these guys will run the plays. He will then turn to the forwards and tell them that if there is more than two setup plays per set then next forward that gets caught will the ball will be hooked.

Jackson does not need to take a hit up in an attacking position. Catch and pass lad.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sure the problem is in our halves. From what I’ve seen over the previous three years the problem has manifested in our forwards. When I continually see our forwards take three out of five hit ups (and sometimes four) in attacking positions then our opportunity to score is severely limited.

Regardless who that halves are, Barrett should be making them stand on milk crates before the team runs out, pointing to them while telling the rest of the team that these guys will run the plays. He will then turn to the forwards and tell them that if there is more than two setup plays per set then next forward that gets caught will the ball will be hooked.

Jackson does not need to take a hit up in an attacking position. Catch and pass lad.
Spot on.
It defies logic that so many fans on this site can spot the problem and have opinions on how to fix them, yet week after week, we see the same style played with what appears to be no improvement on this issue.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz has to combine all the players individual strengths into a team game...

You cant have the team playing like the Panthers as our players haven't got those attributes to execute the attack

The biggest problem is that Barrett is forcing and consisting with JJ to play the Yeo role.

JJ needs to play the Finucane roll - Tuck the ball under the arms and tackle anything that moves

TPJ is a player that attracts 3 players as a minimum, utilise him inside the 20 as he will either get an offload away or attract 3 players....Quick play the ball and than it's up to JMK and the halves to pick up where the opposition edges are short on a player

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Coaching is the issue. We have solid forwards. It’s the bullshit coaching tactics

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our attack is worse than when we had Dean pay with a significantly worse spine. We need a 9 and 7 (and would improve with one) but my point is a that we’d still be atrocious in this system
If you are referring to the system as the Barrett coaching we have to be patient, sooner or later it will all be clear if he is cut for it...Faith is the most important element in this situation !!!