Does the Competition need a revamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With everyone not playing each other twice the comp is unfair before a ball is kicked.
While it doesn’t solve the problem totally. I believe this or something similar would work much better.

Rounds 1-15 . Every team plays each other once.
Home and Away swaps year on year.

8 teams get 8 home games - 8 teams get 7 home games
The 8 teams that get the extra home game. Take one of their home games to a regional area.
This area they would also adopt as their own development area.

8 of the first 15 rounds would have a game in a regional town.
This would be played as the 6pm Friday Night game. This would kill two birds with one stone. The city clubs struggle to get fans to this time slot. The country fans would embrace it.

After 15 rounds. The competition would pause for a Rep month or 5 Weekends

State of Origin would be the centre piece of this.
25 Man Squads that are in camp for the series.
Maybe a Test Match at the end?
Developing nations playing their own competition. Womens test matches
A genuine City v Country. From players not in Origin. Including say 7 actual Country players. With 7 from NSW Cup. QLD could also do the same thing. With a final at the end.
Indigenous v Maori? Possibilities are endless with teams that could play in this time space.

The NRL competition would then resume and spit into two for the rest of the home and away season. The top 8 from the first 15 Rounds would all play each other for a second time. The bottom 8 from the first 15 Rounds would all play each other for a second time. (Another 7 Rounds)

From the Top 8 the top 6 would get a week off and advance to the finals.
The Top two teams from the bottom 8 would play teams 7th and 8th in knockout games to go to the finals (i.e 7th v10th and 8th v 9th)

Then the Finals would follow this as normal with 8 teams.

15 weeks - Rounds 1-15
5 weeks - Rep Football
7 weeks - Rounds 16-22
1 week - Playoff for finals
4 weeks - Finals
TOTAL 32 WEEKS

Currently i think it's 31 Weeks Round 1 to Grand Final

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With everyone not playing each other twice the comp is unfair before a ball is kicked.
While it doesn’t solve the problem totally. I believe this or something similar would work much better.

The 8 teams that get the extra home game. Take one of their home games to a regional area.

This would be played as the 6pm Friday Night game. This would kill two birds with one stone. The city clubs struggle to get fans to this time slot. The country fans would embrace it.

A genuine City v Country. From players not in Origin. Including say 7 actual Country players. With 7 from NSW Cup. QLD could also do the same thing. With a final at the end.
Indigenous v Maori? Possibilities are endless with teams that could play in this time space.

The NRL competition would then resume and spit into two for the rest of the home and away season. The top 8 from the first 15 Rounds would all play each other for a second time. The bottom 8 from the first 15 Rounds would all play each other for a second time. (Another 7 Rounds)

The Top two teams from the bottom 8 would play teams 7th and 8th in knockout games to go to the finals (i.e 7th v10th and 8th v 9th)

15 weeks - Rounds 1-15
5 weeks - Rep Football
7 weeks - Rounds 16-22
4 weeks - Finals
TOTAL 32 WEEKS

You should be in the NRL Administration.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

15 weeks - Rounds 1-15
5 weeks - Rep Football
7 weeks - Rounds 16-22
4 weeks - Finals
TOTAL 32 WEEKS

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

15 weeks - Rounds 1-15
5 weeks - Rep Football
7 weeks - Rounds 16-22
4 weeks - Finals
TOTAL 32 WEEKS

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well based on this system, the Bulldogs would be all but over for 2017 (Not that we aren't already).

I don't like the idea of having 5 weeks in the middle of the year with no NRL action. The second half of the season would almost be a completely new season, which I don't like.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On top of this, imagine how shit it would be waiting 5 weeks for the shit teams to have to run out there again with the same shitty side knowing no matter how good they play or improve they're still not going to make the finals.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this is not fair, a team finishing 9th is rewarded with playing all the crap teams and a team finishing 8th is penalised with playing all the top teams

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL draw is complicated by set fixtures and requests by clubs and broadcasters. I don't sere an issue with the format they have set for next season where they have standalone weekends for Origin. It's hard to keep everybody happy and with the number of Sydney based teams, you'll always have clubs outside of the region at a disadvantage in regards to the amount of travel they need to do.
Teams don't miss the finals because of the draw. Injuries and poor retention/recruitment are bigger factors. You look at the current bottom 4 Bulldogs, Souths, Tigers & Newcastle and their rosters haven't improved the last 2 years.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Teams don't miss the finals because of the draw. Injuries and poor retention/recruitment are bigger factors. You look at the current bottom 4 Bulldogs, Souths, Tigers & Newcastle and their rosters haven't improved the last 2 years.
So this.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bring back the biff
Bring back the shoulder charge

Bang, games just got more exciting.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bring back the biff
Bring back the shoulder charge

Bang, games just got more exciting.
Nah this is the player welfare era, they are not allowed to head hunt anymore, sure the shoulder charge was good but too many times it contacted the head and doctors told them someone will die in this mega fit super competitive big dollar modern comp.
I say bring it back but with big punishment with head contact, they used to ban blokes for 11 weeks for being scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.