Does Burton have the potential to finally be the answer to our long running #7 problem?

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Burton has the talent to develop into a 7 but IMO he is a big body running 6

I'd still like to go for someone like Trindall at halfback who won't cost a fortune, is still young but is already a solid NRL player who will only get better and he is now stuck behind Hynes for however many more years, so he could be available.

Also we have BBO and Rajab who could make that halfback position their own if they develop into a NRL quality number 7

Hopefully next year we settle on a spine and Burton can really start to develop combinations with our fullback (probably Crichton) sweeping out the back, as well as an injury free Kikau, possibly Xerri with JAC on the end of it. If all of that comes together, look out, Burton could really take his game to the next level

The more I see of Oloapu I can see him becoming a Cameron Murray/Isaih Yeo style lock who gets his hands on the ball alot first pass off the ruck, can take it to the line before spreading it wide (like Yeo), or using his footwork and strength at the line to create something (like Murray). And his defence is certainly strong enough for that position

The kid is only 18, so by bringing in a half and letting KO develop off the bench and at lock for the next 2 years, by the time he is 21 he could be anything

in saying that maybe CC and Gus' plan is to develop Burton at 6 and KO at 6

Either way it's great to finally have some exciting options going forward

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cc needs to rest preston and freshen him up looks a little cooked on the week in week out grind of first grade footy
Hopefully the bye will freshen him up.
I have noticed young Preston doesn't like passing the ball to the outside backs. Maybe a cut out pass now and then wouldn't go astray.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cc needs to rest preston and freshen him up looks a little cooked on the week in week out grind of first grade footy
Hopefully the bye will freshen him up.
Good point.

Hopefully the 2 week break will freshen him up a bit

The guy has been an incredible workhorse and along with Mahoney has shouldered a huge workload so far

Mahoney is a seasoned NRL player and can handle it, whereas I imagine the workload would be new to Preston

I don't think even CC would have imagined him being a run on starter every week so far, but out of necessity he has had to step up, and he has handled everything thrown at him

If we had all our troops back, even starting him off the bench occasionally would be good for him

He is definitely a great discovery and has a huge future

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is breaking the line much more this season. Not sure if that suggests anything

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s shown more promise in a few games at seven than any seven we’ve had in the last ten years, and I think he has the skill set and will develop the footy iQ as time goes on, The thing with burton is that fans won’t give him time to develop as a seven because of the money he’s already on. If CC sticks with him at seven and KO at six and develops that combination we could have a halves pairing that in a few years could take us to a GF IMO But they both need time.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he's not a 7, hes a 6
100% agree.
He is a runner not a first receiver. He doesn’t have a short kicking game and not one that feels completely comfortable in directing play all the time. In space however, he is very effective at pace.

We need a genuine halfback, hopefully Karl can develop quickly.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
IMO I see the boys switching down the track....

6. Burton
7. KO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO I see the boys switching down the track....

6. Burton
7. KO
Have to ask bro … after your Burton is really a centre comments .. what have you seen lately that makes you now confident that KO would make a good 7 .. and Burton better as a 6 ??

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Have to ask bro … after your Burton is really a centre comments .. what have you seen lately that makes you now confident that KO would make a good 7 .. and Burton better as a 6 ??
Burton runs like centre and more threatening when he does (love when he runs) and KO is a smart half, his boot isn't as big as Burtons but from the kicks he puts in appear to be more accurate already. Plus wait till he brings his short kicking game to FG.

You have to realise CC is holding KOs reigns back in attack, we haven't seen anything from KO yet. But believe me, the more KO improves, Burton will also.

KO running the show and Burton running when he wants can cause havoc.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Needs time but he will come good just needs props that go forward and a good 6

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton runs like centre and more threatening when he does (love when he runs) and KO is a smart half, his boot isn't as big as Burtons but from the kicks he puts in appear to be more accurate already. Plus wait till he brings his short kicking game to FG.

You have to realise CC is holding KOs reigns back in attack, we haven't seen anything from KO yet. But believe me, the more KO improves, Burton will also.

KO running the show and Burton running when he wants can cause havoc.
Yeah sorry .. have to disagree .. I prefer a 7 that already has a huge running and kicking game and Burto can definitely run and kick … lack of a running and kicking game is a big reason fans bashed Flanagan ..

If KO’s boot isn’t as big as Burtons yet, but are more accurate … how do we know they’ll stay accurate if and when he ever gets a stronger kicking game ..

For what possible reason do you believe CC would be holding KO’s reigns back in attack, don’t we need more points ?

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah sorry .. have to disagree .. I prefer a 7 that already has a huge running and kicking game and Burto can definitely run and kick … lack of a running and kicking game is a big reason fans bashed Flanagan ..

If KO’s boot isn’t as big as Burtons yet, but are more accurate … how do we know they’ll stay accurate if and when he ever gets a stronger kicking game ..

For what possible reason do you believe CC would be holding KO’s reigns back in attack, don’t we need more points ?
Burton can't direct the team plus apart from that clutch FG, he doesn't step up as much as needed, the tits game was a good example, even Ennis was begging him to step up and take control. Also the gap between his best and worst games is massive. Hopefully all these can be fixed this year of he stays in 7 and KO next to him.

Plus Gus reaching out to Hunt also proves he thinks Burtons future is at 6.

KO's boot might not be as high as Burtons but seriously, ill take accuracy over height, especially when 1 out of 10 bombs gets a result now.

Not really sure why you're asking why KO is being held back and eased into FG as it's pretty obvious he is 18 years old and played 4 FG games, on top of his halves partner learning his trade as well.

I'll be straight out, I dont give a rats what number is on who's back, just want them to reach their potential so we can return up where we belong.

I can see them become our version of Munster and Hughes.

PS Flamingo was never and will never be a FG half. On top of what you said about his running and kicking game, he has no vision, no control and a momentum killer.

PPS don't be sorry you don't agree bro, it's a forum, plus you're civil so it's all good.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will do really well, if we had a good 7 wouldn’t of minded him at fullback with his size, running game, passing and kicking game he would be phenomenal
he played fullback growing up, its where he should be

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton can't direct the team plus apart from that clutch FG, he doesn't step up as much as needed, the tits game was a good example, even Ennis was begging him to step up and take control. Also the gap between his best and worst games is massive. Hopefully all these can be fixed this year of he stays in 7 and KO next to him.

Plus Gus reaching out to Hunt also proves he thinks Burtons future is at 6.

KO's boot might not be as high as Burtons but seriously, ill take accuracy over height, especially when 1 out of 10 bombs gets a result now.

Not really sure why you're asking why KO is being held back and eased into FG as it's pretty obvious he is 18 years old and played 4 FG games, on top of his halves partner learning his trade as well.

I'll be straight out, I dont give a rats what number is on who's back, just want them to reach their potential so we can return up where we belong.

I can see them become our version of Munster and Hughes.

PS Flamingo was never and will never be a FG half. On top of what you said about his running and kicking game, he has no vision, no control and a momentum killer.

PPS don't be sorry you don't agree bro, it's a forum, plus you're civil so it's all good.
Of the players we have, Burton at 7 is probably the right choice for now. Of course a top line experienced controlling half is preferred but we don’t have one and Gus isn’t looking (by the gist of a previous tweet).

With Flanno getting that elusive try assist in reggies as hooker, interesting to see if the results of years past would’ve been better if Flanno was the half moulded into a DH instead of JMK. Maybe/maybe not…

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line he needs to take the line on more. Dig into the line when passing instead of this under 10s slow jog and tip on. Learn to be more vocal. Learn to game manage. He’s very young yes. But he has an even younger player outside him in Oloapu. He needs to stand up now. I’m yet to see him put a player through a gap. I think that will come off the back of taking the line on more and putting the defence in two minds. Hopefully he can accelerate all this though. Cause he’s on a good wage for his age and us as supporters deserve it.