Does anyone know anything about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smingers

After months and months of trying to figure out what to do with my career after my original plan blew up in my face (long story), I decided to go for what I wanted to do since I decided to go back to school and sit the HSC.

I found a pathway into this career and it is easier than I thought. I am going to study Architectural Technology in TAFE then further study architecture in UNI. It's been a passion of mine to design/develop buildings, homes etc. I have the creative mind for it and I know it's a secure career to follow.

My question is, does anybody know or is anybody in the industry? I just need more reassurance so I know I'm making the right decision. I may not make a decision based on opinions posted here, but it's just good to hear some feedback to see what people think.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Decision. Nothing better than having a degree. In the end even if you do change your mind, once ur in uni, u can go wherever you want.

M

mofo sixx

yea go for it,

pathways are a great foot in the door.

do it\!

S

smingers

Great Decision. Nothing better than having a degree. In the end even if you do change your mind, once ur in uni, u can go wherever you want.
Well i'll have to do 2 years in TAFE first, do my degree in Architectural design which is 3 years then to obtain a professional qualification I need to do my masters which is 2 years. So 7 years all up, but yeah I'm not worried about anything now, I know later on It'll pay off :grinning:

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is never a right decision, as we always doubt our choices.

however, if it's something you want to do, who cares what others think. job satisfaction is so important, and the money part is irrelevant.

go to uni...even if you end up changing disciplines after giving architecture a go, it's still something that proves you have determination and discipline to complete a task.

S

smingers

there is never a right decision, as we always doubt our choices.

however, if it's something you want to do, who cares what others think. job satisfaction is so important, and the money part is irrelevant.

go to uni...even if you end up changing disciplines after giving architecture a go, it's still something that proves you have determination and discipline to complete a task.
Well as I said I'd have to do it through TAFE 1st for 2 years so I'll get a taste of it then before I go to UNI.

And you're right money isn't important and lately that's all I been thinking about, so It's time to settle down and think about the next 7 or so years to come I guess.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as I said I'd have to do it through TAFE 1st for 2 years so I'll get a taste of it then before I go to UNI.

And you're right money isn't important and lately that's all I been thinking about, so It's time to settle down and think about the next 7 or so years to come I guess.
nothing beats having a plan hey. god, i'm going to be doing my 2 years to become an advanced mental health practitioner, so i can put in the paperwork for recommendation for assessment. i'm then going back to do psychology, which is 4 years.

if something interests you, pursue it. furthering your education opens so many more doors!

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i'm sorta in simular position, not to sure if uni's for me, so thinking bout doing a trade but it's prob not the best time

S

smingers

become a drug runner/ smuggler :p
lol dalger,

she would be a drug smingler
ROFLCOPTERSAURUS!

That is the only trade that is getting anyone through the economic crisis tbh, should look into it :p

i'm sorta in simular position, not to sure if uni's for me, so thinking bout doing a trade but it's prob not the best time
Dude, you're still young you have plenty of time.
My dad finished his masters degree in teaching at the age of 35. He did his doctorate at 40. Never too late to decide to go to UNI. Tyt and think about it before you jump into a conclusion

Reaction score
if ur keen on studying for a long time then by all means go for it :grinning:

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Go for it Smingers....

I for one am still not sure what to do....I originally wanted to do Child Care when I finished school (the funny thing is I hate child care centres as much as the schools) and that ended up blowing up in my face.

Government Jobs are for some reason what I do best but the competition is bad (that's something I have always known since I could look for a job).

Retail...Meh - I know it isn't going to happen.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
After months and months of trying to figure out what to do with my career after my original plan blew up in my face (long story), I decided to go for what I wanted to do since I decided to go back to school and sit the HSC.

I found a pathway into this career and it is easier than I thought. I am going to study Architectural Technology in TAFE then further study architecture in UNI. It's been a passion of mine to design/develop buildings, homes etc. I have the creative mind for it and I know it's a secure career to follow.

My question is, does anybody know or is anybody in the industry? I just need more reassurance so I know I'm making the right decision. I may not make a decision based on opinions posted here, but it's just good to hear some feedback to see what people think.
I'm a landscape architect and work for a multidisciplinary firm (engineering, architecture, landscape, interiors, etc). I did my degree as 4yrs at uni, but I have a few mates/workmates who went the TAKE route. I actually think the TAFE route is better, it's more hands on and technically based, whereas at uni they'll make you do a bunch of useless subjects in the first 2 years.

I love my job, it's great watching something go from a concept to built form :grinning:

Hope you like using CAD and REVIT;)

S

smingers

I'm a landscape architect and work for a multidisciplinary firm (engineering, architecture, landscape, interiors, etc). I did my degree as 4yrs at uni, but I have a few mates/workmates who went the TAKE route. I actually think the TAFE route is better, it's more hands on and technically based, whereas at uni they'll make you do a bunch of useless subjects in the first 2 years.

I love my job, it's great watching something go from a concept to built form :grinning:

Hope you like using CAD and REVIT;)
That's so awesome. So are you constantly busy? What's the industry like? I'm heaps creative with this stuff I always picture things in my mind like interiors/exteriors and I got a thing for construction lol.

I haven't really used it before, I've seen it in play but haven't mucked about with it. Is it easy to pick up on or will I need a while?

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I'm fairly busy on a regular basis, it's been slowing a little as of late but we have some new projects coming through and some existing ones coming back online that'll keep me busy. The company I work for is big, we have roughly 6000 employees worldwide, offices around Australia, USA, Middle East, etc. I never worked for a small firm in the industry.

Best thing to do is give it a go, and once you make that transition to uni, try and get a cadetship at a firm - you'll learn far more that way and be much better off when you graduate.

CAD and REVIT are your bread and butter, you'll use them all day everyday lol. It's not overly hard, it's something you just need to get familiar with, and every company will have different drafting standards etc.

½

friend of stevie j
Reaction score
look yuo just have to beleive in yuorself and everythin will soon come yuor way. take my friend stevie j. used to be a loser in life. now hes a captrain of australias most faomos dragon boating team. that was his dream. still a ****in loser mind you

S

smingers

I'm fairly busy on a regular basis, it's been slowing a little as of late but we have some new projects coming through and some existing ones coming back online that'll keep me busy. The company I work for is big, we have roughly 6000 employees worldwide, offices around Australia, USA, Middle East, etc. I never worked for a small firm in the industry.

Best thing to do is give it a go, and once you make that transition to uni, try and get a cadetship at a firm - you'll learn far more that way and be much better off when you graduate.

CAD and REVIT are your bread and butter, you'll use them all day everyday lol. It's not overly hard, it's something you just need to get familiar with, and every company will have different drafting standards etc.

Yeah, I'd love to work for a company that big, especially if I can travel, would love to work in Dubai.

How long would a cadetship roughly take? I was thinking maybe do my Undergrad. degree full time first then when I go to do my masters do it as a traineeship? Not sure, which is better do you think? I do have 2 years to think about that but better to think about it now.

LOL hence why I'm D/L one now that Davo sent me. It couldn't be too hard I guess if I can do it manually I can do it via CAD.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to work for a company that big, especially if I can travel, would love to work in Dubai.

How long would a cadetship roughly take? I was thinking maybe do my Undergrad. degree full time first then when I go to do my masters do it as a traineeship? Not sure, which is better do you think? I do have 2 years to think about that but better to think about it now.

LOL hence why I'm D/L one now that Davo sent me. It couldn't be too hard I guess if I can do it manually I can do it via CAD.
Dubai is cool, anywhere in the UAE is dollar dollar ;)

We've just had two cadets for a year, they're finishing up at the start of next month. If you don't want to do a cadetship you can always just do part time work while studying. We usually get students in as drafters. Any experience in the field is good for your development.

CAD is a great tool, once you're used to it, it's easy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.